Melia Las Dunas - Cayo Santa Maria - Special Meal

motherofthegroom

Hi there,

My son is wondering if it's worth it to have the special meal for the wedding. If someone has been married there you might know.

Do you think it's worth the $40 per person? or would an a la carte be just as nice? (we'll be about 30 ppl). I said I'd ask on here for him as he's unsure of what to do. I saw a post with the menu for the special meal, but cannot open it. It's an all inclusive so wonder if this is just a ploy to make some more $$

We've been to the spa, and it is a really nice one, we didn't have a massage cause as I recall they were expensive ($50+us). You get a free try at the spa but don't have to do a massage. It was great.

The special menu is served at every wedding, no matter how many people are attending the wedding. You can see the menu in the link Amarillis posted.

I think you have pay the extra if you want a private reception and if you have less then 17 guests. If you are 30, you will probably get the private area by the pool, and the special menu at no extra cost.

Maybe a MLD bride or someone else can confirm that ?

I'll be getting married at MLD in October. From my understanding, if you have 17 or more people, you qualify for the free wedding package, which includes the dinner. There should be no extra cost for the special wedding meal.

Also, from my understanding, if you have 15 or more in attendance, the a la cartes are not even an option for the reception. They will put you in one of the pool bars.

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryyy View Post
The special menu is served at every wedding, no matter how many people are attending the wedding. You can see the menu in the link Amarillis posted.

I think you have pay the extra if you want a private reception and if you have less then 17 guests. If you are 30, you will probably get the private area by the pool, and the special menu at no extra cost.

Maybe a MLD bride or someone else can confirm that ?
Consider it confirmed! Just got back from MLD--they will typically place any "large" group at one of the poolside bars (which they set up BEAUTIFULLY-- I'll post pics soon). A large group appears to be 17 or more, and therefore you are pretty safe to assume they will give you a private reception.

We had 32 ppl at our wedding, and we were able to fill the space comfortably, however, anything less than 20 would really rattle around in the space. One of the restaurants (El Romantico) has two beautiful private rooms that accomodate groups less than 15 really well, and you are completely seperated from the other hotel guests.

Maria Elena is the new wedding coordinator, and she will likely place you automatically into the poolside restaurant as you have 30ppl. However, b/c we got married last week (during rainy / mostquito season) she automatically booked us into the A La Carte-- so we wouldn' t be eaten alive. WE ended up passing around the bug spray at dinner, but it was worth it for the privacy. So don't fret if they have you booked into an A La Carte for the wedding dinner-- that can easily be changed for your group size.

Also, the menu options are listed on the link posted by Amy. It lists the EXACT options that we were given, however some weeks shrimp isn't readily available, and therefore the menu options change slightly. I recommend contacting Melissa (the Canadian Sol Melia Cuba Rep) at melissa@solemeliacuba.ca if you have any specific questions. She is a great resource. :) Best of luck, feel free to message me if you have any questions smile03.gif

• 3 months later...

Fantastic replies, you must wonder why it's me doing this, well to be honest my future dil and son aren't interested it seems.....sad, so I'm doing the invitations for our side and friends and also trying to gather some information. Not sure if it's laziness or what, but apathy is more like it...I find it strange, but rather than dwell on it, have decided to ask questions.

I cannot get anything other than being directed back to the main page when I hit that link! it's frustrating! I think I need BDW for dummies! usually I'm pretty good with this stuff. I also cannot navigate around this site, it's not so easy I guess. I'd love to do more research but can't when I keep going around in circles, not even sure how I managed to get back here! lol..... bye for now, maybe foreverhuh.gif lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarillis View Post
Best Destination Wedding Forum ~ The Ultimate Destination Wedding Resource

here is some info on meals the MLD... try to search the forum for info, there is a lot out there.

there is also an MLD group on facebook for brides.. I'm sure they'd welcome a mother of the groom though!!!
I cannot get anything other than being directed back to the main page when I hit that link! it's frustrating! I think I need BDW for dummies! usually I'm pretty good with this stuff. I also cannot navigate around this site, it's not so easy I guess. I'd love to do more research but can't when I keep going around in circles, not even sure how I managed to get back here! lol..... bye for now, maybe forever lol shitfan.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofthegroom View Post
I cannot get anything other than being directed back to the main page when I hit that link! it's frustrating! I think I need BDW for dummies! usually I'm pretty good with this stuff. I also cannot navigate around this site, it's not so easy I guess. I'd love to do more research but can't when I keep going around in circles, not even sure how I managed to get back here! lol..... bye for now, maybe forever lol shitfan.gif

Unfortunately, site rules require you to have a minimum of 150 posts before you can open links to pictures and templates, etc. Since you only have 13 posts, that most likely why you are having trouble navigating the forum.

Just keep posting away, you'll find once you have your minimum number of posts, things get a lot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIW View Post
Unfortunately, site rules require you to have a minimum of 150 posts before you can open links to pictures and templates, etc. Since you only have 13 posts, that most likely why you are having trouble navigating the forum.

Just keep posting away, you'll find once you have your minimum number of posts, things get a lot easier.
NOwwwww I get it! I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me! seriously smile03.gif.......now I feel better, but have to go and post post post!

Thank you so much ! everyone for the great answers!