Sign in to follow this  
jonnyboy

BEACHES NEGRIL JUNE 26, 2110 (mom won't come=()

My fiancee and I are getting married at Beaches Negril June 26th 2110. I'm excited. Only thing is my mom says shes not going b/c its not in the US! She's pushing 70 and is starting to lose it a little. i'm her only son and I want her there. We are paying for our own way and offered to pay her way too. there are several reasons she says she dosn't want to come but I think it's b/c she wants (some) control of the wedding and a destination wedding won't give her that. Any advice?

Congratulations and Welcome to the forum. Unfotuntately I do not have any words of wisdom to offer in convincing your mom. A lot of couples go through the same types of things. The best advice I can give it to try to chip away at her concerns/issues and try to pose solutions. Otherwise, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you can sway her as things go along...you've got time.

I do not know if there is a way that you and your FI can get her involved without compromising what you and she want.

Congrats and Welcome! My Mom is 75 and I had the same issue with her not wanting to leave the US. I printed out a lot pictures and information of the Dominican Republic and let her read it. After a couple of weeks she's now on board with the DW.

Welcome and congrats! If you paid for a companion for your mom would that help? Maybe if you guaranteed her someone will be with her to help her along and make sure her trip is smooth? Then maybe she wouldn't have nothing more to argue? Also even though it is a destination maybe you could give her control of certain areas. I am bring real touch flowers with me as my bouquet maybe she could be in charge of the flowers and getting them to your destination? Also I'm bringing my own center pieces could she help with something like that? Good Luck and keep us posted.

Jon,

That's unfortunate about your mom, but I agree with some others - chip away and give her other responsibilities.

My fiancéâ€s brother is getting married this October and his mom is very much involved in that wedding, and she had a hard time realizing that she won't have too much ‘say†with ours. BUT I kept reinforcing that it's who we are, we're low-maintenance and we do not need a lot of hoopla. We are all going to relax, have fun, drink some cocktails and witness something special.

Keep telling her that it would mean the world to you and your future wife if she were there and let her know that itâ€s not a traditional wedding with crazy details that so many things are done once youâ€re down there. Thatâ€s HUGE!!!