BEACHES NEGRIL JUNE 26, 2110 (mom won't come=()

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jonnyboy

• 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:48 PM

My fiancee and I are getting married at Beaches Negril June 26th 2110. I'm excited. Only thing is my mom says shes not going b/c its not in the US! She's pushing 70 and is starting to lose it a little. i'm her only son and I want her there. We are paying for our own way and offered to pay her way too. there are several reasons she says she dosn't want to come but I think it's b/c she wants (some) control of the wedding and a destination wedding won't give her that. Any advice?

#2 Geralyn

• 2,677 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

Congrats and welcome...hopefully things work out with your mom

#3 Dmitri_Markine

• Vendor
      • 2,782 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:43 PM

#4 dinogomez.com

• 5,705 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

Welcome to the forum and congratulations!! You've come to the right place; here you can find all the info you need for a fun, smooth and successful planning!! Enjoy!!!

#5 n&n112109

• 216 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:38 PM

Congrats and Welcome to the forum!!!

#6 Jamaica0619

• 475 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:03 PM

Congratulations and Welcome to the forum. Unfotuntately I do not have any words of wisdom to offer in convincing your mom. A lot of couples go through the same types of things. The best advice I can give it to try to chip away at her concerns/issues and try to pose solutions. Otherwise, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you can sway her as things go along...you've got time.

I do not know if there is a way that you and your FI can get her involved without compromising what you and she want.
              Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend. ~ Albert Camas

#7 BlakleyBrideToBe

• 2,115 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:20 AM

Congrats and Welcome! My Mom is 75 and I had the same issue with her not wanting to leave the US. I printed out a lot pictures and information of the Dominican Republic and let her read it. After a couple of weeks she's now on board with the DW.

#8 Preciousmi811

• 342 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:11 PM

Welcome and congrats! If you paid for a companion for your mom would that help? Maybe if you guaranteed her someone will be with her to help her along and make sure her trip is smooth? Then maybe she wouldn't have nothing more to argue? Also even though it is a destination maybe you could give her control of certain areas. I am bring real touch flowers with me as my bouquet maybe she could be in charge of the flowers and getting them to your destination? Also I'm bringing my own center pieces could she help with something like that? Good Luck and keep us posted.
                  One Love

ClubHotel Riu Negril May 14 2010 wedding date. Anyone want to share a photographer? I am flying my photographer out regardless, if you want to split travel cost let me know!!!!

Password: 12345http://gs105.photobu....are_email_albuhttp://tickers.Ticke...m/ezt...b2f9...

#9 finleys7

• 703 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:03 PM

That's unfortunate about your mom, but I agree with some others - chip away and give her other responsibilities.

My fianc©â€™s brother is getting married this October and his mom is very much involved in that wedding, and she had a hard time realizing that she won't have too much ‘say’ with ours. BUT I kept reinforcing that it's who we are, we're low-maintenance and we do not need a lot of hoopla. We are all going to relax, have fun, drink some cocktails and witness something special.

Keep telling her that it would mean the world to you and your future wife if she were there and let her know that it’s not a traditional wedding with crazy details that so many things are done once you’re down there. That’s HUGE!!!

YEAH---We Did It! **May 1st, 2010**
                    Our Wedding SlideShowMy Wedding Review - Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar http://bestdestinati....-2010-a-58966/My Planning Threadhttp://bestdestinati...ding.com/fo....

#10 JamieJ

• 35 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:51 PM

wow that's too bad about your mom not coming. But maybe she'll change her mind!!!!
                      Congratulations anyway :) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users