Photo

Help! I love this dress but is a over budget! Do I Splurge?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 nikicrosby

nikicrosby
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:09 AM

So I have been to several different bridal shops and finally think i have found the dress....but it is a bit over what I was hoping to spend. I have tried to find a replica online but they just look cheap and don't do the beading justice. Does any one have any Ideas where I could get this dress maybe a little less in SW Ontario?? Or even Online??

Reese - by Maggie Sottero

Thanks!!!

#2 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 18,759 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:46 AM

I started a thread called something like discount online dress website compiled. do an advanced search for threads started by me with discount in the title & it will probably show up. There are many online shops where you can save a bunch on a brides & BM dress.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of alterations.

#3 sunsetbride1

sunsetbride1
      • 1,083 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:11 AM

It is a gorgeous dress!!! I definitely agree with Morgan; that is a great thread that she is talking about and there are a ton of sites that do knock-off Maggie's. And I also echo her sentiment about alterations; my dress was within my budget but now that I have alterations - it has put me over with a $350 alteration charge for some simple things!

#4 H&F

H&F
        • 361 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:34 AM

Hi Niki,

I'm actually a Reese bride for my October wedding! It really is a beautiful and unique dress. What size dress are you looking for? I may sell my dress and if it is something you really want perhaps it would work out for you. My dress is being ordered in a size 4 and it fits me perfectly at that size so I won't be getting any alterations (except length).

Anyways, I hope you find the perfect dress! It's so hard to make that decision.

#5 BillysBride

BillysBride
          • 1,255 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:34 AM

I'm gonna go ahead and throw this out there, because I do think it deserves consideration. A LOT of knock off's are cheap looking; but not all. I'm pretty sure you could get some great referrals here on the forum from brides who have had knock off dresses custom made and been very happy with the end results. There are a few threads going here in the Wedding Attire forum. It may not be the solution, but it's definitely worth at least looking into. Nothing worse than falling in love with a dress you can't find a way to afford.

Good luck!
            Savannah

http://i17.photobuck....inecollage.jpgThe Fab Four (my quads) Meryn, Kellen, Nico & Layla
            http://global.thekno...rs/tt265ad.aspxhttp://www.mywedding...nnah/index.html20 STD's w. pre-lim RSVP sent 6/15/09: 7 "Yes" so far/10 guests total!

#6 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 9,504 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

I would consider how over budget you would be and what you have to give up or cut back on. Will your dress cost you OOT bags or your private dinner or your photographer?

I think every bride has a priority. For some it is the dress and for others it is something else. My dress was a little more than I budgeted so I got cheaper shoes, veil, hairpeice, etc. E-bay was my best friend!

In addition to Morgan's wonderful thread you can try e-bay, craig's list, SavetheDress.com - Used wedding dresses. New, sample & used designer gowns. Buy & sell online., and lots of other resale sites.

Good luck!

#7 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 18,759 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

i agree with erin. see what you could cut back on to make it work & if it is worth it.

how over budget are you?

#8 BillysBride

BillysBride
                • 1,255 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:10 PM

Oh, I'll definitely second Erin and Morgan..I'm the biggest Ebay bride ever. EVERYthing is an option--just SEARCH, SEARCH, SEARCH!!!
                  Savannah

http://i17.photobuck....inecollage.jpgThe Fab Four (my quads) Meryn, Kellen, Nico & Layla
                  http://global.thekno...rs/tt265ad.aspxhttp://www.mywedding...nnah/index.html20 STD's w. pre-lim RSVP sent 6/15/09: 7 "Yes" so far/10 guests total!

#9 nibsmom

nibsmom
                  • 564 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:05 PM

I agree! Ebay is great! As are the preowned wedding dress sites: preownedweddingdresses.com, woreitonce, and there are many others! Just google used or preowned wedding dresses and a ton of sites will come up.

You can often find them even new on a lot of these sites!

#10 Vonnie6

Vonnie6
                    • 23 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:26 PM

i agree e-bay is the best! and also, you get alot of good deals on other internet sites too. set a priority for the dress. for me, my flowers and the decorations are the top priority and hence, i am spending less on the dress (which is a white bridesmaid dress), not have a veil and white flip flops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users