Photography Conundrum: She doesn't accept credit cards
Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:40 PM
After searching high and low, I FINALLY found a photographer I like, and have negotiated a package that fits the budget. She sent me the contract and asks for 1/3 the cost as a deposit. That's fine too. I was surprised, however, that she doesn't currently take credit cards. She says because she is in the process of changing merchant accounts.
I am nervous about this, since I have heard everywhere that paying cash deposit is very risky. With the credit card you have some protection if she goes out of business, doesn't show, etc.
What do you think-- should I be concerned about this? I don't want to go back to the search, but this just seems a bit off, though she comes highly recommended and has great reviews all over the internet.
Thanks for your advice!
Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:43 PM
Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:44 PM
Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:46 PM
Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:55 PM
See if she can hold the date until she does get her new merchant stuff. I mean cash is cash there is no documentation of it. I think it is a little iffy and I would be concerned.
Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:56 PM
Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:58 PM
So instead of charging a fee to use a credit card, some people just don't take them.
I do prefer using my credit card, but I also try to pay cash or check when I spending a large chunk of money to a local business or individual. I don't bother when it's target or a big chain store. Just if it's a small business & I want them to get all the money instead of paying the credit card fee. We also always try to tip in cash.
I'd make sure she has a good reputation and a contract that also protects you. Like tammy said, photographers will often have a part about what happens if for some reason they can't make it. Usually they send a suitable replacement. Someone as good if not better than them.
Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:59 PM
Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:01 PM
"I am not sure when I will have the merchant account set up because I am searching for prices. " So, no offer for alternative. She's basically saying pay by check or leave it.
The contract states currently about cancellation on her end:
[Photographer] may substitute another photographer to take photographs in the event of photographer’s illness. In the event of such substitution, [photographer] warrants that all studio photographers are competent professionals.
There is no verbiage about getting deposits back. I am thinking I need to add something like this:
If [photographer] is a no-show or cancels service for any reason and is unable to find a suitable replacement, all deposits and prepayments shall be refunded to client.
How does that sound? What if she says no to the change? This is very confusing! Thanks for the advice...keep it coming.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users