Ceremony Translation

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jesswins

jesswins
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:10 PM

Hi,
    I read on a few posts brides metioning having a friend or someone translating the ceremony. Are the ceremonies done in Spanish? What about legal verus symbolic ceremonies?
    Jess

#2 Jessalyn

Jessalyn
    • 1,876 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:20 PM

From what I understand, the legal ceremony is done in Spanish by a judge usually before your "religious" ceremony....this is the one that is translated for you. The "religious" ceremony is performed by a minister and can just be in English.
      My new man....Donovan

Wedding photos and avatar by Jonathan Thrasher Photography - www.jthrasherphoto.com
      Our wedding slide show www.jthrasherphoto.com/slideshows/jessalynhttp://tickers.Ticke....k/27c1/age.png

#3 edna

edna
      • Site Supporter
      • 1,360 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:27 PM

In Mexico the religious ceremony is not valid for legal purposes, so that’s why you need to be married under the law ( we called civil marriage) and if you have a particular religion you can get married under it , and its really common to have Priests or Ministers that are bilingual on the tourist areas.

Hope this can help you!

#4 jesswins

jesswins
        • 142 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:27 PM

I am still confused. Is the one done is Spanish private and not in front of our guests or are they done together?
          Jess

#5 Jessalyn

Jessalyn
          • 1,876 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:29 PM

I think you can do it either way. From what I've read on here, most people get married with the Mexican judge either a day or two before their "wedding" or even the morning of, and then do their "religious" ceremony (which isn't a legal marriage) separately without the judge. I've also heard of them doing both ceremonies at the same time, but you'd have to make sure the judge is available to come to your wedding, if you do it this way.

Also, a lot of people do a legal ceremony in the states before going to Mexico for their wedding. They usually don't tell anyone and just do it as a private thing between the couple only. We got legally married in Maui last month and didn't tell anyone (okay, so I told my parents...shh). :)

does that help at all....sorry if I'm confusing things even more for you.
            My new man....Donovan

Wedding photos and avatar by Jonathan Thrasher Photography - www.jthrasherphoto.com
            Our wedding slide show www.jthrasherphoto.com/slideshows/jessalynhttp://tickers.Ticke....k/27c1/age.png

#6 michelle08

michelle08
            • VIP Member
            • 2,702 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:40 PM

If you want to get legally married in cabo you have to have it done in spanish and have a simultaneous translation. For example, we do not want a religious ceremony and we don't want to get married before or after our cabo wedding so we are just going to have the main ceremony where everyone is at and have that in spanish and have them simultaneously translate.

#7 KAMEYER70

KAMEYER70
              • 108 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:14 AM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by michelle08
                If you want to get legally married in cabo you have to have it done in spanish and have a simultaneous translation. For example, we do not want a religious ceremony and we don't want to get married before or after our cabo wedding so we are just going to have the main ceremony where everyone is at and have that in spanish and have them simultaneously translate.
                That is correct. The legal ceremony is fairly rigid but you can add in your own vows (in addition to the required ones by Mexican law). You can also add one reading or a sand/unity candle ceremony. My WC gave me the attached translation.

Attached Files

KM
                Imperial Suite, Fiesta Americana Grand

#8 jesswins

jesswins
                • 142 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:25 AM

Thanks. I actually though the vows were nice. I am not too fond of the traditional obery vow. It sounds lovely.

#9 ajncooter

ajncooter
                  • 983 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:20 AM

thanks for sharing the vows...

#10 jak27

jak27
                    • 715 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by KAMEYER70
                      That is correct. The legal ceremony is fairly rigid but you can add in your own vows (in addition to the required ones by Mexican law). You can also add one reading or a sand/unity candle ceremony. My WC gave me the attached translation.
                      KM, thanks for posting that!

We are not having a religious ceremony per se (meaning, nothing which represents or references a specific religion), but instead will have a close friend/relative perform our ceremony which will focus on commitment, love, etc, and I actually really enjoyed reading the translation.

Thanks for the alternative to the typical ceremony verbiage!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users