45 replies to this topic

#41 ericka417

ericka417
  • Site Supporter
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:52 AM

That is great i wish i had used that one earlier

Originally Posted by aholen 

We also did not want to register for all the same reasons as everyone else...people are paying to come to our wedding, we have enough stuff between the two of us for 3 households, etc. etc. But we too were told some folks will want to give gifts anyway. So we created a PayPal donation button and are asking people who insist on gifts to help us help our loved ones who can't quite afford to join us.  Here's the wording from our website:

We do not wish to receive gifts, your presence at our wedding is our present! 

We've been told, however, that some people will run out and buy us something anyway. If you are in this camp, instead please consider donating to our scholarship fund for guests we'd love to have, but who can't quite afford to attend. Nothing could be more personal than the gift of allowing someone we love to share our wedding with us.

#42 kthun

kthun
    • 74 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:20 AM

How did this work out for you?  I really like the idea, but I'm wondering if people will still get gifts.  I really don't want anyone to get us gifts or money since it's expensive for them to travel for our wedding. 

Originally Posted by aholen 

We also did not want to register for all the same reasons as everyone else...people are paying to come to our wedding, we have enough stuff between the two of us for 3 households, etc. etc. But we too were told some folks will want to give gifts anyway. So we created a PayPal donation button and are asking people who insist on gifts to help us help our loved ones who can't quite afford to join us.  Here's the wording from our website:

We do not wish to receive gifts, your presence at our wedding is our present! 

We've been told, however, that some people will run out and buy us something anyway. If you are in this camp, instead please consider donating to our scholarship fund for guests we'd love to have, but who can't quite afford to attend. Nothing could be more personal than the gift of allowing someone we love to share our wedding with us.

#43 zbwedding

zbwedding
      • 156 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:30 PM

People like to bring things to the shower.  So I think very few would actually donate rather than bring something tangible!

#44 elisamarie

elisamarie
        • 222 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:20 PM

We aren't registering anywhere. I feel that people have spent enough money coming on the trip and that to ask for a present on top of that is a little too much for me. Also, we've been living together for years so we don't even know what we would ask for! I think that the idea of the registry is from the past when people would move from their parents house and didn't have anything anyway. To each his/her own though!

Getting married at Playa Pesquero! - 35 booked!!

#45 amberah19

amberah19
          • Site Supporter
          • 104 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

I don't think just having a registry obligates guests to buy you a gift. Especially if you tell them that their gift to you is them coming. So having one wouldn't hurt for those guests that still wanted to get you a little something for wedding day.

#46 Reinita

Reinita
            • 153 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:18 PM

We have been trying to decide this too, thanks for all the ideas and comments. I think we have decided on a honeymoon registry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users