Photo

Picking a Date...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 MissBlade

MissBlade
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

Hi Everyone. I'm so glad to be a part of this great site! My fiance and got engaged on May 2 and are planning to wed in Negril Jamaica at the Moon Dance Cliffs. Our biggest concerns at this point are picking a date that will work for our guests and actually getting a commitment from those guests that plan on attending. I'm sure this is something that everyone planning a destination wedding goes through so I look forward to any advice!!!

Talk to you soon!!!

#2 O'Driscoll Photography

O'Driscoll Photography
    • 4,853 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:49 PM

Welcome and congrats!

Best wishes,
      Tod

#3 BlakleyBrideToBe

BlakleyBrideToBe
      • 2,115 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:07 PM

Congrats and Welcome!

#4 JOSIE

JOSIE
        • 1,792 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:58 PM

This is a challenge for all brides - you are not alone. In our case, we have 4 teachers standing up in our wedding (3 of which have unstable jobs), so we knew we had to pick a date that was either a holiday or during the summer so they'd have time off and would not have to risk their jobs to come. We chose the thanksgiving holiday. It all depends on what you'd like to factor in....if you want to avoid hurricane season, if you want to avoid holidays, etc... there are plenty of good dates that some people might have off work (Like Martin Luther King Day, or Presidents Day, etc) throught the year. Pull out a calendar and see what dates jump out at you. Do you have to have a saturday or could you do a friday or a week day?

#5 ~Nicole~

~Nicole~
          • 4,512 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:10 PM

Congrats on your recent engagement and welcome to the forum!!

If I could go back in time I would have done it differently in terms of picking the date. I worked around so many different schedules and got "verbal commitments" from people and they still bailed....lol. Surprisingly, the one person that I didn't accomodate and had a conflict with the date is the one that has booked! I wish that I would have just gotten married when I really wanted to, which would have been last year, because as much as I thought that giving people a year and half notice would have given them a better opportunity to come, it wasn't the case. So anyways, I don't mean to sound negative, I'm just offering some advice - if working around other people doesn't put you out at all then go for it! Otherwise, do what you and your FI want!

Good luck!
            *Formerly Nikki07*
            My Planning Thread

#6 *Nadine*

*Nadine*
            • 5,466 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:59 PM

I agree, after picking our date around so many people and then having them be the ones bail, if I could go back I would have just picked a date that worked for US. In the end if people wnat to be there, they will make it work! Welcome!

#7 AugustBride2B

AugustBride2B
              • 312 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:42 PM

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

#8 hunniebee724

hunniebee724
                • 340 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:23 PM

Congratulations and welcome! We chose to do a summer wedding because I'm a teacher. We booked over a year in advance so our guests will have enough time to plan time off of work. I'd love for our family and friends to be able to make it, and we have about 15 people already wanting to book (we're sending out the info this week), but in reality, all that matters to me is that our parents and brothers are there, and I marry my fiance....anyone else who comes is a bonus.

#9 leahstafford

leahstafford
                  • 713 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:06 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Best,
                    Leah

#10 MissBlade

MissBlade
                    • 70 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:16 PM

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I think it makes sense to just pick the date we want and just hope for the best. How many people did you invite and how many actually ended up coming?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users