Sign in to follow this  
Jacqueline

Keeping in touch: Computer VS Live! Manic Monday discussion

Does anyone ever get annoyed or even saddened that the only ways of communication w/ friends & family these days is over the computer (FB, MySp, Twitter, email) or even texting?? I have literally 2 close people (that includes my sister) I talk to pretty much everyday, and that's b/c we both call each other. Part of me feels like yes, I wish people picked the phone up and actually had a full flowing conversation and another small part of me thinks it is an easier way to KIT so if it wasn't for computer we wouldn't talk at all. Obviously us forum members chat a lot and its awesome b/c we all met here for one reason and are from all over so it's a fun way to chat but I am talking about family and friends you grew up with, people who's baby showers you go to, bridal showers, etc. Just a random thought that was recently talked about with me and my sister. My sister don't have FB, MySp and rarely goes on her email so she is always saying it's a good thing that I have some of those things b/c I keep her in the loop lol And it dawned on me that really- if I didn't have these things- I wouldn't KIT with anyone either. My hubs sister is a texting freak and he hates it b/c she never picks the phone up when he calls her back after a 4 message texting convo.

So is it a good thing or not so good thing?

I love it. I hate talking on the phone, like HATE. I rarely answer my phone cuz I usually don't hear it, but I always get back in touch with people. But you are right. The friends that don't use their email, I rarely talk to them. The only people I stay in touch with her the ones with email. I use facebook, but not really to stay in touch with my current friends, that's more for the forum girls and old-out of touch friends.

Funny to, cuz I just sent Mini a 2nd email about Lauren's wedding this morning and I guess I should just text her! (She replied that she is coming, but didn't give the food option, so not a big deal really)

It works for me because I also HATE talking on the phone. Even when my Fi and I are apart I just don't like sitting own and having a phone convo.

Computer works cause it's quick and effective and if you're busy and would like to tell someone something you don't have to take time out of their day. But it is also sad that sometimes that is the only line of communication.

I do however LOVE LOVE LOVE Skype. I recently moved from North Carolina to Canada, and I find it's a great way to keep in touch with my friends. When we all get on it's as if we're all just sitting around together chit chatting. It makes me less homesick and it doesn't feel like a phone conversation.

i wonder how are kids are going to communicate, will face to face interaction become nonexistent one dayhuh.gif so weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
I love it. I hate talking on the phone, like HATE. I rarely answer my phone cuz I usually don't hear it, but I always get back in touch with people. But you are right. The friends that don't use their email, I rarely talk to them. The only people I stay in touch with her the ones with email. I use facebook, but not really to stay in touch with my current friends, that's more for the forum girls and old-out of touch friends.

Funny to, cuz I just sent Mini a 2nd email about Lauren's wedding this morning and I guess I should just text her! (She replied that she is coming, but didn't give the food option, so not a big deal really)
That is funny, what a coincidence. I'm going to that too btw, I want chicken parm please ;o) I forgot I didn't rsvp. ;oD

natalia - i never heard of skype...is it like fb kinda? i dont have myspc so not sure how that all works, fb is all i have..

and yeah that thought has crossed my mind too, how will our kids communicate!? :o(

Ok, I'll email myself. See how ridic I am with email? It's the way I keep track of EVERYTHING! hahhaahahaa, people have been rsvpi'ing to my phone, and then I email myself who they are and what they want to eat!

Quote:
I love it. I hate talking on the phone, like HATE. I rarely answer my phone cuz I usually don't hear it, but I always get back in touch with people. But you are right. The friends that don't use their email, I rarely talk to them. The only people I stay in touch with her the ones with email.
This sums it up beautifully for me, though I totally get where you're coming from on this Jacqueline! :)

Skype is basically a free phone service via the internet. Oprah uses it on her show. Basically if both computers have a webcam (even if they don't you can still talk) you call eachother and talk face to face through your computer. It's completely free too unless you use it to call cell phones or land lands.

I've been able to talk to my grandparents in Poland, my parents in hawaii and all my friends in NC and not had to pay a phone bill! And I get to show all my BM's things in real time without sending pictures or explaining something over the phone.

It's honestly the best!!

Quote:
Ok, I'll email myself. See how ridic I am with email? It's the way I keep track of EVERYTHING! hahhaahahaa, people have been rsvpi'ing to my phone, and then I email myself who they are and what they want to eat!

u do hate the phone haha i just edited my post- in case u saw a diff reply. i have to rewrite it i just screwed it up trying to edit it hahaha

I hate people in general, so the less I talk with them the better. This is why I love email, text, FB.

I only talk to my DH and my parents on the phone I think! (except for work of course!)