A wee bit overwhelmed picking a resort...

Based on criteria #1 -- I am thinking the Yucatan Peninsula, since it's really easy for east-coasters to get to.

Based on criteria #7 -- Cancun, or Playa del Carmen

Based on #4 --

I have heard that Aqua in Cancun is amazing from people who have gone there on holiday and also people at my company who book hotels for events (they go to a lot of 5-stars, so this means it's nice). It's supposed to be amazing.

HOTEL AQUA CANCUN RESERVAS RESERVATIONS BOOK ON LINE

There are so many reviews on this website, so I would dig around to see what others have to recommend, or who have already done research. Good luck -- whatever you do will be amazing!

PS. This is the hardest part, it's very overwhelming. But once you lock down the place and date, it really does get easier! :-)

Wow, your criteria is very similar to mine except my price point was lower for my guests sake. Unforunately I gave up on the 'by the beach not on the beach' part with my resort. I almost went with Dreams Cancun because of the gorgeous gazebo. I know we could have paid it and my family would be there, but honestly I don't think any of our friends would have come, so we chose a cheaper resort. But I definitely think you can make this all happen. It is the most difficult part of the destination wedding in my opinion (well that and communication--everyone outside the US seems to email much slower, just more laid back). Good luck! Can't wait to hear what you decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaM View Post
first off good luck, this was honestly the most stressful part of the planning process!! I'm obviously partial to my resort so I'll tell you a bit about it because it sounds like it may work for you....
It's the Averntua Spa Palace in Riviera Maya Mexico (Same chain as sweetiekris mentioned but this one is in Riviera Maya not Cancun and is smaller than the moon palace). I picked this one because it is half adults and half family so everyone could get a bit of what they wanted. It's all inclusive which was a must for me. Free airport/hotel transfers. They threw in lots of perks...we got a free cocktail hour for booking 10 rooms and will get our whole reception free if we get 20 rooms book. Prices are around $160 a night per person/per person so it seems to be within your budget. There are 2 gazebo's to pick from...one more gardenish and the other looking over the ocean. They have a free wedding package as well as several upgraded ones. I'm bringing in an outside photographer, we just have to get them a day pass so they are counted as a guest not a vendor but I didn't have to pay any other fees outside of that. There is a disco and bars and swim up bars.
Anyway, if you like what you hear send me a PM and I can get you more info but for now here is the link to the resort Palace Resorts - Welcome to the Official Site - Aventura Spa Palace adults only resort offers relaxing spa vacations!

I thought that was an all adult resort? did you mean family as "families with kids?"

we decided on the Royal because its sister resort, Gran is cheaper so any guests of ours can go stay there if they want to. I think it is the cheapest resort i've saw out all of resorts that allow kids and outside vendors.

Both Dreams Resorts in Punta Cana have great prices, amenities and great for families, me and my FI finally decided on Dreams Punta Cana after a month of serching and reading and reading and more reading. Punta Can had reasonable prices for my guest. and I hear its beautiful. I have found from this website that we all go thru the same thoughts, which helped me because I thought I was going crazy comparing all these resorts and locations. I feel so relieved that we have made a decision and this forum helped me do that. My FI tells me I'm addicited to this forum and I must admit I have been in it everyday since I joined lol.... Good luck with your planning, let me know if you need any info on Dreams I have both packages. actually I have info on the Melia, Dreams, Paradisus, RIU Palace, and the Moon Palace Punta Cana :)

We had very similar criteria also, and chose Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda in Playa del Carmen. There's many great resorts in that area, but you will also have to make a decision based if your having any kids with your quests, as some of the nicer resorts (better food and booz) don't cater to children. Also you may want to look into any of the Karisma Resorts, they're gorgeous! We ended up making our final decision by researching on Trip Advisor, reading all the reviews. Hope this helps and good luck!

def don't pick jamaica if you have gay guests attending.

mexico is very gay friendly. i don't know a lot about other resorts, but we are looking to have ours at the gran bahia principe - riveria maya. i know they have a gazebo on the tulum side. i'm pretty sure you can walk with heels down the isle there, but you may want to double check.

it's all inclusive, lots of bars, restaurants and you have access to all 3 resorts (akumal, coba & tulum). you can also book a poolside reception for the evening and a dinner as well.