Riviera Maya - Activites & Excursions - including vendors - Post Here!!!

Lets talk about excursions & activites on this thread.

Activities & Excursions:

• Playa del Carmen - shopping
  • Cancun - club hopping?
  • Xcaret
  • Xel-Ha XelHa
  • Chitzen Itza
  • Tulum

Vendors:

Cancun Catarmaran

Anyone else dealing with tour operators or cool places to go? Small Mexican towns?

Post what you have used or questions on what activites you are looking for!!!

I thought I would share what some of our clients have said regarding some of the favorite activities in Playa:

Xcaret: Although most people go for the swimming and daily activities, you do not want to miss the special night show that they do each day. Their show encompasses many great highlights of the Mayan culture and also includes a game on their Mayan ball court. As you are allowed to re-enter the park on the same day, go early before it gets super busy and then leave the park for lunch and return for the night show.

Xel-Ha: A beautiful park and considered one of the best places to swim with dolphins based on how they configure their dolphin area and their allegiance with veterinary and humane treatment of the dolphins

Club Hopping - Cancun vs Playa: Playa has a great night life and it just depends on whether you want to travel as far as Cancun and back one night vs just staying in Playa.

Tulum: A great site that is less than an hour from Playa but it quite spread out and also has very little shade so warn your guests to bring plenty of water and sunscreen. Because of the walking and the hear, it can be a difficult site to visit with either older guests or little children. Going early when they open or late in the day will help to mitigate those challenges. One other note, you are allowed to climb on the pyramids in Tulum.

Chitzen Itza: Another great site but it is farther away than Tulum and is by far the busiest site. If you go anytime around lunch or later, expect the crowds to be heavy. Also, they do not allow you to climb their pyramids anymore.

Vallodolid: A small colonial style town about 3 hours from Playa. It has a great central square with an amazing old church. Also has a classic Mexican market that opens in the mornings and is only a few blocks from the square. However, as I recall, the market closes around 1pm or so so you need to visit it in the morning if you want to see it.

Ek-Balam: An amazing archeological site that has only been excavated over the last 10 to 15 years. Unlike Chitzen Itza, you can still climb to the top of the largest pyramid and you will be able to see over the canopy of the jungle for miles. It also has an amazing relief that was preserved. Since it is set in the jungle, it is much cooler due to the shade. Also, the crowds are much smaller so you really can enjoy the site in a more relaxing setting. It is located just outside of Vallodolid so it is best to do a overnight trip Vallodolid and stay in one of the nice hotels that are located on the square.

Cenotes: These fresh water sink holes are amazing to just go swimming in and do some snorkeling. They are located in the jungle and there are many great ones to explore. There are at least 10 to 15 just in-between Tulum and Playa del Carmen.

Hope that helps the discussion.

This is a list I put together for someone asking about activities in/near Tulum. All driving times are from Milamores, which is at the end of the hotel strip, very close to Si'an Kaan.

There are many activities to choose from:

Tulum ruins ($7/peson or $15 with tour) takes about two hours to tour the ruins,

15 minute drive from Mil Amores

Tulum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kayaking in Sian Ka'an

$50/person, half day tour, 15 minute drive from Mil Amores

Kayaking

Snorkel or dive in a cenote (Bel-Ha)

depending on gear, free-$80/person, 5 minute walk from Mil Amores

Cenotes: Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Mexico

Daytrip to Coba:

1 hour away, $5/person or $20 with tour, bike rentals $10/person

Coba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Snorkeling in Soliman Bay

20 minutes away, $5/person snorkel rental

Soliman Bay, Tankah Bay Mexico

Cataman ride including lunch & snorkeling

30 minutes away, $50/person

Akumal Mexico tour: Sailing & Fishing: Catamaran Kantaris

Zipline and Snorkel Hidden Worlds Cenote System

20 minutes from Mil Amores and half day experience, $50/person

Zipline Cenote Adventure

...but best of all is the beach

Why I want to go back. on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

From the Cancun or Playa area I would add:

Vallodolid - small colonial town near Chichen Itza

Ek Balam - partially excavated ruins

Cenotes near Valladolid

Daytrip to Cozumel

Cancun clubhopping could include one of their cruise clubhopper tours (I think it is called the "Pirate Ship cruise"

Isla Mujeres

Holbox (whale shark diving May-November) but also just a very quiet pristine island

• 3 months later...