Are you flying in prior to wedding?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jstinemari

• 86 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:19 PM

I'm from Boston MA, so Maui is quite a trip away (10 hrs flight i think). I have a wedding planner helping me, and we're flying in a weekend before the ceremony to sort out any minor details, but do i have to go before that? Is it practical to plan a wedding without actually seeing things 1st hand? like fabric for example, or what about sampling cake?

i'm just wondering what your plans are? are you taking a trip there before the wedding?

#2 mplscold

• 27 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:16 AM

I had never been to Hawaii until I went to Maui for my wedding. We went three days before and drove to the site of the marriage to make sure we would know where it was and got our marriage license the day after we got there. That was plenty. I don't feel that we would have benefited by going there on a separate trip beforehand. Its not necessary unless you have the extra money to spend and want to take a vacation!

#3 Married_In_Maui

• 929 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:55 AM

We just got back from Maui one week ago & we flew with all of our family & friends, arriving on Sunday with the wedding on Thursday. We didn't even meet with the coordinator until Tuesday & really there was no need; she had everything ready to go, so we only met for 15 minutes. Destination wedding coordinators know their stuff, so don't stress; I would say no more than a few days in advance would be plenty.

p.s - we left from Indy & it was a 10 hour flight, so I hate to tell, but it's prob a bit longer for you That's ok, it gave me some time to relax & catch up on some much needed sleep.

#4 Chiquita

• 2,674 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:29 PM

We did not make a trip to Maui before our wedding. I trusted the wedding planners knew what they were doing.. and they did! I think we flew in on a sunday and our wedding was a wednesday.. that was plenty of time to figure stuff out.

#5 jstinemari

• 86 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:07 PM

thanks everyone.
            and yes i think the flight from here is closer to 12 or 13 hoursl holy cow. i'll actually enjoy a layover or two on this trip

#6 roo66

• 1,001 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:22 AM

we will fly into LA spend three nites there then fly the 5 hrs to maui and get married approx 4 days later,however im very confiedent that ANY coordinator will have everything sorted and as its just the 2 of us and will be simple.Im sure that even for a bigger wedding they are on the ball.I just want to be there a few days so i can work on my tan and really feel relaxed.Its a long trip from england.

#7 rach220

• 532 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:22 AM

I think it will depend on how picky you are about what you want, or how much info your WC is able to give you through email. Maui is far! I think if you ask a lot of questions and really know what you want and let your WC know, you should be okay.
                Good Luck!

Married July 16, 2009
                Aventura Cove Palace Resort
                Riviera Maya, Mexico

photo by Misti Douglas

#8 ~*Lisa*~

• 2,287 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:35 AM

We'll be arriving in Jamaica only a few days before the wedding. I would LOVE to do a site visit before, but it's not possible with our budget! I'm not too picky though with everything and don't plan on bringing anything extra for decorations etc. I'm just going to go with the flow when I get there! I'm trying to make this as stress-free as possible, if that's possible! lol

#9 SAM

• 542 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:00 AM

I had been to Hawaii before but not Maui. We arrived 5 days before the ceremony. The day before the ceremony I dropped off the favors at I'O (where we had dinner) and that was the first time I saw the place. I didn't see the cermony site, meet the WC/photographer/minister until I arrived at the beach to get married.

I basically did everything from the web and referrals. I was very happy with everything and felt like they are the pros, people come to Maui all the time to get married they know what they are doing.

#10 nursepmichelle

• 14 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:57 AM

We are arriving in HI 4 days before the wedding. It has been very simple to plan everything sight unseen with the internet access to photos etc. I am sure that in real life HI will be even more beautiful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users