Jamaica Riu Brides

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Ladies!

I am going to book my wedding with Riu Ocho Rios very soon for May 2008. I have some questions I hope you can help clarify.

First does anyone know what really comes with the Royal Package? Would getting the free package and upgrading specific important items work better? For example I really don’t need the photography because my cousin is a photographer.

And I really never thought about the reception, I thought the resort would place us in a nice area where the whole group could enjoy each dinner. But from what I’ve seen on the posts, I have to reserve a location? And pay for upgrades for that as well? And does it cost extra for dinner?

Can anyone shed some light on things for me…..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLyteful View Post
Hello Ladies!

I am going to book my wedding with Riu Ocho Rios very soon for May 2008. I have some questions I hope you can help clarify.

First does anyone know what really comes with the Royal Package? Would getting the free package and upgrading specific important items work better? For example I really don’t need the photography because my cousin is a photographer.

And I really never thought about the reception, I thought the resort would place us in a nice area where the whole group could enjoy each dinner. But from what I’ve seen on the posts, I have to reserve a location? And pay for upgrades for that as well? And does it cost extra for dinner?

I am getting the "Free Package" and then adding on extras. I'm not sure what all comes with the Royal Package, but the free one worked best for me. From all of us talking with Chandlyn, we have found that the flowers there are a bit expensive and are looking into alternatives (silk flowers or other Jamaican florists - I can give you names if you want). Also, some of us are using outside photographers. If you are using a photographer other than the one contracted with the RIU, you need to make sure that they are a guest at the hotel; otherwise, they will not be allowed on the property as a photographer.
As for the dinner, Chandlyn told me that they would not start planning our wedding til 2 months before the date. But, after I found this forum, I knew I had to get a move on and started emailing her asking if I could make reservations. I have a large group going (about 80), so I wanted to make sure there would be a room I could reserve to accomodate us - the Plantation Restaurant. As for those with smaller groups, I know that most of the girls have reserved their dinners at the Mammee Bay. Chandlyn sent me 3 menus to choose from ranging in price from $25-35 per person. After asking her repeatedly, I found out that there is an "included" menu and I will be using that one (it's basically the same food). Open bar for dinner is $10 per person. To reserve a private dinner, the cost is $250 per hour, but a semi-private dinner is free I believe. There is no cost for set-up or linen rentals. The cake is $250. If you want a dj at your reception, the cost is $150 (per hour I think).

I would recommend getting in touch with Chandlyn as soon as possible to ask her what is available on the date of your wedding.

Let me know if you have any more questions!!!

Quote:
First does anyone know what really comes with the Royal Package? Would getting the free package and upgrading specific important items work better?
I'm sure you've seen this.... here is what is included in the Royal Package:
* Complimentary room upgrade to the next category (subject to availability upon arrival)
* On-site wedding coordinator to help plan the special day
* Bouquet of flowers for the bride and a matching boutonniere for the groom
* Royal Decoration set up for the ceremony location for 40 people.
* Two bottles of sparkling wine
* Wedding cake for up to ten people
* Candlelight dinner for the wedding group at one of our specialty restaurants
* CD or recorded music during the ceremony .
* Natural body exfoliation for the bride and groom
* Ten percent discount on all spa services
* Twelve color photographs along with a special photo album and CD.
* Breakfast in bed the morning after the wedding
* Surprise gift and fruit basket
* Ministers service & wedding certificate are included.
* Witnesses if required

I booked this package...though I do not need the photographer's services! I'm hoping to be able to substitute that with video wink.gif who knows though?!

Quote:
And about the reception dinner.... as long as you have less than 50 guests you can have a semi-private dinner at the Mammee Bay restaurant; which is what we are doing. If you want a private dinner, you would have to rent out the Plantation Restaurant ($500 for 2 hours; $1000 for 4 hours)

Quote:
Hello Ladies!

First does anyone know what really comes with the Royal Package? Would getting the free package and upgrading specific important items work better? For example I really donâ€t need the photography because my cousin is a photographer.

And I really never thought about the reception, I thought the resort would place us in a nice area where the whole group could enjoy each dinner. But from what Iâ€ve seen on the posts, I have to reserve a location? And pay for upgrades for that as well? And does it cost extra for dinner?

FYI: Not sure what day of the week you want to get married on. But, if you want to book the Riu in May, you need to book NOW! It doesnt seem like they have many available weekend days left. sad.gif

My name is Brittney. I am getting married at Riu on July 12, 2008. That is our 4 year anniversary. We are getting married at 4:00 and are having the steel drum band. I will probably give our guests a break between the ceremony and dinner, which will give my FI and I a chance to to do a photo shoot. I am undecided about this though. We are having our dinner at the Plantation Restaurant from 6:30-8:30. I wanted Mammee Bay, but I think we will have more than 50 people. We just sent out our STDs, and we are getting a great response. We also booked the disco from 9:00-11:00. We will probably get the Royal Package if there is a room upgrade available, if not we will start with the free and build from there. I think we are going to go to the beach party instead of a rehearsal dinner, mostly because there is not a space to seat all of our guests. We are thinking about doing a private cocktail party, but that may make everything too rushed. We are bringing our own photographer from home. This was the most expensive, but best decision I have made yet. We are doing a trash the dress shoot the day after the wedding. This is the only decision I have made that has caused some family controversy. Oh well. We are also considering planning an optional outing to Dunns River Falls. I don't want to have too many planned events, because I want everyone to enjoy a vacation. I do want to make sure that we make this a fun experience for everyone though. We are making out of town bags. Some ideas we have come up with are koozies, cups, T-shirts, postcards, photo album, pool bags, and water proof disposable. We are also making wine charms for the reception dinner. Well, that is enough now. Thanks Lizz for sending me to this Forum. It is great! I can't wait to get to know all of you!!

Brittney

Hey Brittney! You have everything planned out really well! We are also getting married at 4, our group will be smaller though so we're eating at Mammee Bay @ 6:30; then disco from 9-11! (and I'm also doing TTD!!) The beach party rehearsal dinner is such a good idea. I'd totally do it, but we're getting married on a Friday.

And you're SO lucky you have so many confirmed guests; my guests are all PROCRASTINATORS!!!!!!!! wink.gif

Right now we have about 25 of our guest confirmed. I just sent out 127 STDs, and the response has been good. We have a lot if interest, but they just got the letters so they have not had a chance to firm up their plans. I figures it was a safe decision to book the Plantation, so that we had a space that would work no matter how many guests we have. Right now I think it will be at least 60. It will be a blast!!