Birth Certificate

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 suely

• 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:24 AM

Hey guys we are getting married in Jamaica at the riu we want to have a civil ceremony but I don't have a birth certificate and trying to get one would be very difficult. Does anyone know if you really need to have this document to get married could I not provide other documents like a drivers license or citizen ship card?

#2 Scott-Pierre

• 456 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:32 AM

I would contact the wedding coordinator at your resort to find out for sure.

#3 avb1983

• 82 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:37 AM

The new law passed on June 1, 2009 requires you to have a passport for travel...
        Also, the Sandals resort in Jamaica that we are getting married at requires us to get our birth certs notorized then sent out to them like 60 days(?) prior to wedding, in order to be a legal marriage.

#4 jennie

• 200 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:06 AM

Dont' know if it helps, but I noticed on here that a few other girls have used a "document processing" site to obtain there documents. You have to request it with a fee, but you can maybe get what you need this way. Question: If you have gotten a passport, haven't you gotten your birth certificate.... you need one to get the passport?

Usually your birth certificate is located in the city hall location of which you were born.... in the vital statistics office. You can just write to them and send them the fee along and they will send it to you. It's considered to be of "Public Record" , so anyone can request the information. I would probably start off by calling the city office of which you were born to ask them of the process.
          Good Luck.

#5 avb1983

• 82 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:36 AM

You can order your State Birth Certificate @ vitalchek.com it takes about 10 to 14 business days. Then you can order your passport which takes 8 weeks.

#6 baj

• 1,555 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

You really do need to confirm this with your WC, but I think that you will need to get a copy before they will marry you.

#7 Sloan

• 1,279 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:04 PM

Where are you from in Canada? I needed to get a new birth certificate prior to applying for my passport. It was actually super easy to get it. I applied online and it came in the mail in about a week. If youre in Ontario this is the site: Ontario Birth Certificate Information - Ontario.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users