To bring an adapter or not to...

ashey063009

I do bring adapter to each of my outings,but most of modern devices work at 220-110v and are able to deal with different voltages. You can find that info on the device itself,if it's able to convert 110->220.

You'll find standard N.A. 3-pin outlets in all Cuban hotels.Never had an issue recharging my batteries,cell phone or using my laptop.

Dmitri

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I was in Cuba I brought the adapters and converter and had to use them. They worked on the camera, but not on the Ipod (which was sad). I didn't bring a curling iron or straightener, or hair dryer because I didn't really care how I looked (it was me and my hunny only). This time...kind of worried, but really only need to look good for one day :)

We just returned from our wedding in Cuba. Not all appliances will work on a converter or an adapter!!! We found this out after losing 2 hair straightners and a very expensive curing iron... the handle actually bubbled. We were told that you need to ask if your hair dryers etc. have convertable power abilities. Some brands worked fine but the more expensive curling irons etc all fried. So be very very careful!

Heidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi_lk View Post
We just returned from our wedding in Cuba. Not all appliances will work on a converter or an adapter!!! We found this out after losing 2 hair straightners and a very expensive curing iron... the handle actually bubbled. We were told that you need to ask if your hair dryers etc. have convertable power abilities. Some brands worked fine but the more expensive curling irons etc all fried. So be very very careful!

Heidi
Oh Crap! I'm so worried about this little issue-- I have a CHI and actually read that they burn out often in Cuba. Damn it! What do I do? How does one determine whether or not they have "convertable power abilities"?

SOS! Packing and leaving in 6 days-- should I fork over the $50 for the converter/adapter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashey063009 View Post
Oh Crap! I'm so worried about this little issue-- I have a CHI and actually read that they burn out often in Cuba. Damn it! What do I do? How does one determine whether or not they have "convertable power abilities"?

SOS! Packing and leaving in 6 days-- should I fork over the $50 for the converter/adapter?
I would go to a store that sells curling irons/flat irons and read the boxes to see which ones work with different voltages....sometimes the actual curling iron will have a switch on it to change voltages. I have one that does. (Conair, I think)

Quote:
Jackobelle, how do find the Conair? I have pretty wavy hair, and I'd consider buying a cheaper one so that I don't blow my CHI down there, but I need something that works fairly well, and gets pretty hot.
Well it is not a true curling iron. It is shaped like one but it blows out hot air. It seems to work really well on my hair and if I spray the hair before during & after it is in it, it holds really well. I have a skinny one that is good for making curls, and a really fat one the is good for straightening/curling ends out or under and adding body.

Quote:
OKay, so my mother is an info/google queen-- she found out that each flat-iron states the voltage as either 120V or 120-220V

Unfortunately for me, CHIs seem to all be 120V, and therefore I'm hoping that a convertor (sp?) will help... thoughts?
Do you know where it stated the voltage? I can't find it on my flat iron.