Photo

April 2010 Brides

• Please log in to reply
2825 replies to this topic

#1311 jk1101

jk1101
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=doblauvelt;1110943]OMG this is me too! My hometown wedding was going to cost me $50K, so FI and I said DW was the way to go!

Jersey weddings are out of control. The last one I went to had to cost 50K at least. My first wedding, 11 years ago was about 25K, and FI had a big first wedding too, so we both wanted something smaller.

I will tell you my mom was DYING to go to Kleinfelds to shop for a dress, just for the experience, but I was very happy to go to a local dress shop, and my Maggie Sotero cost less than my dress 11 years ago that I bought at Davids Bridal. go figure!

#1312 doblauvelt

doblauvelt
    • 380 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:17 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by caribbeanLover
      I got them at vistaprint and they were 50% off. $5.50 a bag I got 10 bags. The total was 55$ or something and $9 for shipping.

I am really sorry.. I have no idea about anything to do with real touch flowers. I thougt they were kind of pricy so I went with fake flowers from the dollar store lol

yeah it's just insane how much the traditional weddings cost now and days. It's just sooo much cheaper doing DW and it's so beautiful.Kind of hard to say no lol
      Jersey weddings are out of control. The last one I went to had to cost 50K at least. My first wedding, 11 years ago was about 25K, and FI had a big first wedding too, so we both wanted something smaller.

I will tell you my mom was DYING to go to Kleinfelds to shop for a dress, just for the experience, but I was very happy to go to a local dress shop, and my Maggie Sotero cost less than my dress 11 years ago that I bought at Davids Bridal. go figure!
      Seriously, I can't wrap my head around spending $50K on a wedding. I have friends who have taken out loans to to pay for theirs... not ideal to me. I'd rather lose it all now and gain it in the future instead of being tied down to paying off my wedding loan on top of my mortgage. To each his/her own right?

#1313 echo2_62

echo2_62
      • 1,049 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:47 PM

Well maybe it's just because my friends are like me, but we're all definitely into shooting for a low-budget wedding whenever possible. I guess because now more than before, parents aren't the first ones to offer up the money to pay for a wedding (as compared to past tradition) so we all have to expect to pay for ourselves and any gifted money along the way is just a bonus.

Here's the ironic thing - FI's parents are VERY equal opportunity with how they treat him and his brother and since they paid for a week of his brothers DW, his parents had basically stated they'd be giving us roughly an equal sum of money for our wedding. I flat out told FI that I didn't want this however (kind of shocking I know!) because a) I wouldn't feel right about it because of the amount and B) we had enough issues with their "input" as to how we should do things and I didn't want to give them any reason to feel entitled.

So I think situations like mine occur more as well. We know what we want for our weddings and it's not the same traditional things that our parents or families did so we have to have consideration that unless we've been saving a LONG time for a $50k wedding, it's just not going to happen. Plus I figure, that's the salary that some people make in an entire year! How could I reasonably spend that for a single day?

Sorry, that's just my rant for the morning.... hahaha and I can just feel FI's (tight-wad) influence flowing through my hands while I type LOL! Aaggghhh!!

#1314 jk1101

jk1101
        • 2,582 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

Meghan - I totally agree - I'd rather pay my own and not have to deal with other people's influence!

Do you see my siggy - 8 people booked now - 2 more! My MIL told me she'd do it over the holiday...we have a few more friends that should be booking...it's slowly creeping up!

#1315 echo2_62

echo2_62
          • 1,049 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:55 PM

Michele - I wondered about that! I remember double checking wondering if it had said 6 or 8 people one of the last times I looked but I forgot to ask! Yay for people finally getting a move on it. I hope you end up with double digits at least by New Years!

#1316 caribbeanLover

caribbeanLover
            • 1,619 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:16 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by jerseykitten
              Meghan - I totally agree - I'd rather pay my own and not have to deal with other people's influence!

Do you see my siggy - 8 people booked now - 2 more! My MIL told me she'd do it over the holiday...we have a few more friends that should be booking...it's slowly creeping up!
              Congrates!!! I notices, just haven't had time untill now. I had a job interview for a medical office (which would be amazing since I can relate)
              Must feel good to know these people are coming.
              And btw I love your ziggy pic. soo adorable you guys make a wonderful/cute couple.

I agree with you Meghan a 50K$ wedding is just out of the norm for me. I'd never spend it for just 1 day. I prefer to go on 10 vacations to Cuba instead lol
              http://i1002.photobu..../img-239-1.jpg http://i1002.photobu....0/img-21-1.jpg
              Tracy and Mike

Married and in love all over again!!!!!!
              Happily ever after...

#1317 jk1101

jk1101
              • 2,582 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:29 PM

A job interview- that's awesome! Good luck!

#1318 caribbeanLover

caribbeanLover
                • 1,619 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:35 PM

Thank you!! :):) keep you all posted lol
                  Tracy and Mike

Happily ever after...

#1319 echo2_62

echo2_62
                  • 1,049 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:52 PM

fingers crossed here for good results on the job interview tracy!

#1320 caribbeanLover

caribbeanLover
                    • 1,619 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:58 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by echo2_62
                      fingers crossed here for good results on the job interview tracy!
                      lol I like your little cheerleader.
                      Thank you!!! :) :) Sadly I wont know until next week. I truly hate this part, the waiting game.
                      Tracy and Mike

Happily ever after...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users