Poll: Did you do a site visit??

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Amarillis

• 1,913 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:28 PM

On another board where I am active (wedding bells), the Canadian DW brides were talking about how we choose vacations/destinations for our guests.

When you chose your location, (choose which suits your situation best):

1. You went on a site visit.
    2. You had you already been there (you knew it would be perfect)
    3. You wish you'd done a site visit
    4. You consulted with your TA and/or Trip Advisor (or another travel review engine)

I am just curious....

#2 Mrs. Martin

Mrs. Martin
    • 514 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:33 PM

I had already taken a vacation a year before at the location where I got married. That's really the main reason I chose that place. I was afraid to pick a location I had never been to and I didn't have it in my budget to do any site visits. At least this way I knew what to expect from the staff/hotel/location.

#3 boscobel

• VIP Member
      • 24,213 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:34 PM

I had never been to JA before and neither had Matt, but we chose it for the affordibility and for the kids that were in our wedding.

#4 YaelM

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 5,369 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:34 PM

We went on a site visit before signing the contract to make sure the place we liked the place we wanted - which we did! Im really glad we did (esp b/c at the time i didnt know this forum existed)

#5 Blkatz

• 1,025 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:35 PM

I had picked Dreams Tulum after 1-reading reviews on here 2-talking to my travel ageny (mother inlaw) and 3-reading tripadvisor
            we went to Dreams Puerto Aventuras for Xmas and while we were there I did a visit to Dreams Tulum-it was good to be able to talk in person to the wedding coordinator and to get a visual of where we could have the reception...

#6 DanielleNDerek

• VIP Member
            • 18,452 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:35 PM

I didnt do a site visit and i had no problems. I just did a crapload of research on tripadvisor (this was b4 i found BDW) to narrow down my choices and than i talked to my TA about some of my choices. I also emailed all the WC at the resorts i was looking at to see the different location and options (menus, reception pricing, ceremony pricing, extras). I emailed a few dw brides through tripadvisor and asked how they like their wedding and a few even showed me their pics.

I was probably a little nervous since i never visited the resort but luckily i joined bdw and met a few ppr brides that were married before me and they put my mind at ease.
              ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
              Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
              Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

#7 ~Nicole~

• 4,512 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:39 PM

I actually have never been anywhere.....seriously... I don't even have a passport, so I definitely didn't do a site visit! I researched for about 6 months and then ended up changing my mind after talking to our TA, lol! The fact that I have never traveled made it really difficult to know what I was looking for, but I'm confident that I made the right choice :)
                *Formerly Nikki07*
                My Planning Thread

#8 Amarillis

• 1,913 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:30 AM

These responses are fascinating... keep them coming!

#9 Sloan

• 1,279 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:36 AM

We chose Jamaica so we didnt have to spend extra time/money getting our wedding stuff translated into Spanish and back into English.

#10 Andi

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                    • 3,490 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:49 AM

good thread!

I was lucky enough to stumble upon BDW before we booked a location...we knew we wanted Mexico but were originally thinking the Cancun area. Our plan totally changed when I started reading about Las Caletas on here! The pics of Las Caletas that I found just took my breath away (Ann's pics in particular )

So we had never been to PV or Las Caletas...although AFTER everything was booked I did do a super quick 2 day site visit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users