Pepper55's Azul Sensatori Wedding Review - LONG WITH PICS

Hi Ladies – so weâ€re back from our wedding at AS and wanted to give a full review. I do hope that this will help everyone as much as everyone on this site has helped me through all of the planning and obstacles!

I worked with Nancy and then Tiffany throughout the planning process, although it was not as seamless and stress-free as I would have liked, ultimately we ended up getting exactly what we wanted. The back-and-forth is slow with the US based planners, but as long as you have them log in everything you want on your detail sheet – the on-site planners will help make anything happen. So donâ€t stress working with them too much (I know its hard!) – everything will work itself out once you arrive at the hotel.

Our arrival: We arrived on Tuesday 5/19. All was smooth, we found out we were being upgraded to the Honeymoon suite in the Luxury Building (Azul Section – I think they also call it). This was great, but we were looking forward to our swim up suite at the Adults only section. We were told that only 2 of the 4 buildings were open due to low occupancy. Our room was great, ocean facing – huge balcony, top floor. If you do get upgraded to a honeymoon suite, request a higher floor. We would have been very disappointed if weâ€d been on the first floor. Your patio is right on the walkway between the beach and buildings – so not very private. We had a few issues with the room – nothing major (door and window locks were broken and bathroom door didnâ€t close) – they sent maintenance right away to fix. One thing to watch out for is the “Personal Concierge†they are very helpful at first but ultimately they want to get you to attend a meeting in which they intend to sell you on the time share (or equivalent). When we protested attending the meeting she assured me this was NOT a timeshare sell, but whatever it is, itâ€s close enough. They will also call all of your guests when they arrive and ask them to come to the front desk for a “Gift†from the bride & groom. A few of our guests went thinking it was our goody bag and had to wiggle out of the sell. We just told everyone else to ignore the call.

Our blood test & wedding meeting: This was scheduled on Weds (our 2nd day there). Blood test in the AM, very easy. Nurse comes to the wedding office with all the supplies does it right there. Very painless and safe. The wedding meeting was later that day. Gilberto and Veronique went thru everything on the detail sheet with us confirming all. You really need to make sure that everything you want is on there. We had a few last min cancellations that Tiffany didnâ€t capture on the sheet so we had to make sure all of our numbers were correct. Gilberto will make sure you have whatever you need, he is AMAZING! He really wants to make your wedding beautiful and memorable, so trust him. We had a couple of changes to venues – our cocktail party was scheduled to be at Zocalo Terrace (along the pool) – but since weâ€d been there in November for the site visit theyâ€d since built a bathroom and activity sign almost right in the middle of it. So we were able to move it to another location. We also found out at this meeting that there were 4 other weddings on our day! I was so upset, I told them both that we should have been made aware of this, etc. And that we would never have booked here if weâ€d known it would be a wedding factory. They assured me that our party would have the FULL attention of the staff and that weâ€d never even know there was another wedding on. If you have anything special you want to do (speeches, table set ups, anything at all) tell Gilberto at that meeting. We were a little under prepared, and had to go back a few times to give them things.

Welcome Dinner: This event was a Mexican Fiesta Cocktail Party on the beach from 8-10pm. Around 5:30, Veronique comes to my room saying that it looks like it might rain and theyâ€d need to move us to the “back-up location†which is one of the conference rooms off the lobby. Once we got in there to take a look I was not happy. The room was too big, no windows and a small outside patio. She said we could keep it on the beach, but if it rained weâ€d have no food, drinks or music. I asked if we could move it to the Zocalo Plaza (the Original Plaza which is now covered by a huge palapa). She said no, even though Iâ€d seen a private wedding there the night before. After much back and forth, she finally conceded and let us hold our event there. It was nice, the space is huge. The Mexican food was wonderful!! Much more than just food for a cocktail party – we had encouraged our guests to eat dinner first since I wasnâ€t sure how much there would be – and it was totally unnecessary. They set up a full bar, and a buffet line of different tacos and Mexican foods. They also have a taco cart where a guy will make you tacos to order, I highly recommend this!

Wedding Ceremony: We were scheduled for 4PM on Sunday. The weather that day was amazing, but it seems to always get really windy around 3pm until about 6:30/7. The set up was beautiful exactly what I wanted. Gilberto came to my room with my bouquet about 2pm so I could have them for pictures. Then he will meet the groom about 20 before the ceremony to give him the boutonnière (if you have a wedding party they will deliver all flowers the same way). We asked if our flower girl could have some of the flowers they put on the walkway for the basket – which they did, no problems. Gilberto came to pick me up at the room at 3:50 and we were off. We had a legal ceremony, so it was performed by a judge. Theyâ€d told us at the wedding meeting they have 3 judges they work with (2 females and 1 male) only the male judge speaks English. We ended up getting him (otherwise the female judge will read and Gilberto will translate). It was very quick, which was good since you could see a storm rolling in. They were good with the processional music and music while we were signing paper – but they flubbed on the recessional music, so we just walked away to nothing. Oh well, I doubt anyone remembers that but me! We took pictures with everyone on the beach near the site (we were at the Ceremony site toward the Family section).

Click the image to open in full size.

Photographer: We used an outside photographer Martha Roque from Cancun Photomemories. She was AMAZING! So wonderful to work with – and weâ€ve already recâ€d our album and disk. I will write a full review, and attach the link. I highly recommend working with her! We had no problems getting this approval from AS – but this was also a while ago that we did that. Iâ€m not sure what their policies are now.

Flowers: Iâ€d requested a “Tropical Bouquet†told Gilberto orange, pinks and greens – It was perfect. Unless you have something very particular in mind – I would not pay extra – the one included in the wedding package is beautiful. The boutonnière I just wanted something orange and tropical, and it was perfect. I had 2 large corsages on the ceremony “gazebo†with white fabric (this is extra $$ which Tiffany never told us – but you can just pay there), and small hanging chair corsages. After the ceremony they bring that all in to help decorate your reception, which is nice. I also had flower centerpieces – small square vase with pink and orange flowers with green leaf wrapped in vase.

Cocktail Party: After changing the location from the Zocalo Terrace, we were supposed to be at the Zavas Terrace (poolside in front of Zavas restaurant) but b/c it was about to rain they moved us to the Zocalo Cantina (the covered outside bar of the Zocalo restaurant). This was fine for us, since our group are big drinkers – they are more than happy to mingle around a bar. We had the white glove passed appetizers – all of the food was amazing! And the waiters were wonderful – especially Hector. He took such great care of us at the cocktail party. We ended up closing up the cocktail party early since everyone was looking antsy, and we moved to the Reception Dinner.

Reception Dinner: We were scheduled at the Zocalo al Fresco. This is the outside patio of the Zocalo Restaurant. We were told by Tiffany that since we had less than 50 guests we would not be able to have this venue, but it got “approved†on our detail sheet and there was no mention of it at our wedding meeting on –site. We were so happy to find out that theyâ€d covered the outside patio since weâ€d been there in Nov. And thank goodness, since it ended up pouring right through our dinner. They also have shades that they pull down to cover the “windows†which was great b/c the rain was torrential. Its was not a big deal, a few leaks in the ceiling and from the covered ‘window†but we all survived. We had a friend of our do the “announcing†since the DJ doesnâ€t do any MCâ€ing. All worked great. DJ was awesome – we brought our ipod and so did a few of our friends in case he wasnâ€t good. But we didnâ€t need them at all. As soon as we were done with dinner, I asked him to kick it up and get everyone dancing – and he did! From 8pm on everyone was dancing and having a great time. By then it had stopped raining so they could open the shades for a breeze. Since the restaurant was closed that night, we had the place to ourselves. The waiters came around to bring drinks, but everyone could also go to the bar. Even though the bar was still open to hotel guests, no one came in.

Overall our experience at AS was wonderful! Everyone loved the hotel and thought the wedding was wonderful. Even though there were 3 other weddings going on that night, I felt like the only bride. There was a wedding going on at the Zocalo Plaza right behind us and I never even saw them! I would recommend having your wedding here definitely! Just donâ€t let yourself get stressed about the planning – it literally ALL happens when you get there. I know that everyone says that, but it really is true. Our wedding was so fun and memorable – I wish I could do it all again! Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review! Today is exactly 4 months until our AS wedding! Looking back, would you have chosen not to have the cocktail reception? We are thinking of saving the money there and using it toward an excursion for our entire group. Just wanted to get your thoughts. Congratulations!

Shanda