Photo

Is it normal to not want a wedding shower?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 Blkatz

Blkatz
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:43 PM

I didnt have one. I didn't want my friends to feel obligated to buy me something else and pay for their trip for the wedding. I still registered just in case people bought me gifts and we got a few.

#12 DanielleNDerek

DanielleNDerek
    • VIP Member
    • 18,452 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:55 PM

I really hate being the center of attention but you know what it didnt bother me at my shower. To me the shower flew by. But if you really dont want a shower than dont have one. Do something else and if you want to register for a few things you need just in case someone wants to pick you out a gift (i'm sure they'll ask your mom or your future il's where your registered). Oh and i also had a house with dh before we were married and thought i had plenty of stuff, i still managed to register for things i always wanted but never wanted to buy myself like my dyson. it turned out i had a lot of stuff to register for when i didnt think i had anything.
      ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
      Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
      Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

#13 NaM

NaM
      • 2,256 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:29 PM

I am the same way...didn't want a shower at all. My mother in law to be was pretty insistant on it however. She is throwing me one anyway with some of her friends (whom I've never met btw). I think it's really more for herself than me so I'm going along with it cause she gets really excited. I didn't give her a big guest list though, just bridesmaids who will be in town anyway for my bachelorette. I'm not registering...just hoping nobody gets me salads bowls and candle sticks!!

#14 JOSIE

JOSIE
        • 1,792 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:31 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by NaM
          I am the same way...didn't want a shower at all. My mother in law to be was pretty insistant on it however. She is throwing me one anyway with some of her friends (whom I've never met btw). I think it's really more for herself than me so I'm going along with it cause she gets really excited. I didn't give her a big guest list though, just bridesmaids who will be in town anyway for my bachelorette. I'm not registering...just hoping nobody gets me salads bowls and candle sticks!!
          LOL.... I bet you do get candle sticks & salad bowls, they're so common! Keep me posted :) Hope it goes well!

#15 niujess

niujess
          • 167 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:45 PM

I feel the same way with the whole making people spend more money than they already are. My MOH and one of my bridesmaids are so gung ho about me having a bridal shower and bachelorette party so I finally said ok you take care of it i dont' want to be involved at all I'll just show up. I just feel bad having one and people feeling obligated to buy something.

#16 meghanmbm

meghanmbm
            • 203 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:09 PM

I think your pretty normal or we are both weird. My shower is this Saturday and I am constantly asking myself "do I have to Go?" I wish I could just call this whole crazy thing off, hum that one way to get out of the shower... just kidding.
              Live every day like the next will never come.

#17 Betsy

Betsy

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 4,513 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

You are totally normal I didn't have a shower either, we lived together and had kids and all that stuff......we still registered for stuff for our AHR though. So it all worked out.

That idea about a recipe shower is great - I would love to just have one of those for the fun of it - do you think that is allowed LOL!

#18 jennierin

jennierin
                • 847 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:15 PM

I don't think that it is abnormal not to have a traditional shower either...I've asked my MOH not to throw one for me. FI and I have already bought the house 2 years ago and have all the neccessities.

The girls from work, I know that they are planning a lingerie shower (even though I'm not supposed to know ). Alternatively, my wedding party is throwing us a Jack and Jill party...and it's a costume party so it should be fun!
                  http://i591.photobuc....n/DSC04983.jpg
                  First Kiss as a Mr & Mrs!!!

#19 GoCubs!

GoCubs!
                  • 52 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:30 PM

I don't want to have a shower for the very same reasons - my friends/family are already paying money to go to the wedding and the bachelorette party so I definitely did not want another occassion for them to have to spend money. However, my FI's mom is throwing me a shower back in Cleveland which I'm totally OK with since like NO ONE from his extended family is coming to the wedding (and apparently very few are planning to come to our AHR back in Chicago). If it weren't for that, though, I wouldn't be having any showers.

#20 eloping789

eloping789
                    • 290 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:52 PM

I told my girlfriends to skip the shower and focus their attention on the bachelorette party. I don't like being the center of attention either and didn't want my friends going to all the extra expense. We did register only because people kept asking about it for our AHR (we're eloping and having a very traditional AHR when we get home).

I love the cookbook idea though - very fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users