Photo

We ARE moving to the UK for a bit ... we leave tomorrow!

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#11 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
  • 4,881 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
  • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
  • LocationNew York

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:56 PM

Ann that is so exciting! And I get the me vs mommy-me thing.

I lived in London for a bit less than a year. It was originally supposed to be 6-months and I begged for an extension. And I cried when I came back, I loved it there so much! Frankly, I had a job offer to go back when I met DH... but that's a whole different story.

But if the mommy side of you is leaning that way, I can't encourage you enough. Living abroad is so amazing!

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#12 Banana11

Banana11
  • VIP Member
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:24 PM

That's really exciting news Ann! I totally understand your pull to MN. DH has family in England and we love it there. Have you been before?

#13 Yari

Yari
    • VIP Member
    • 10,928 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:59 PM

I am so excited for you and your family. I think it is a great opportunity. Of course it is scarey, but change always is.

Another perk about living in a hotel...room service!

#14 JulieG

JulieG
      • VIP Member
      • 8,323 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:15 PM

I would do it in a heartbeat!! When Gwen is school age it will be hard to do things like this because of school, so now would be the best time to do it. You can find mommy groups over there very easily and totally meet new friends. I would love to do it, I think it would be a great and very fun experience.

#15 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 24,768 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:19 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by ~Andrea~
          That's really exciting news Ann! I totally understand your pull to MN. DH has family in England and we love it there. Have you been before?
          I have been before, I long time ago. Well, in college - I went over there with my soccer team. So most of the trip was spent practicing and/or playing. It was such a different time in my life - but I loved it over there. And even though I only spent less than a day in London, I remember loving it.

So, so much could change still, but this would be where our apt. would be ... anyone know the area well?

Lombard Road, Wandsworth, London SW11

It's a really new building, super modern. and I honestly can't stand really modern homes, but if it's just decor/style I can learn to deal with it I suppose! Location, and ammenities would be more important to me. Hope it's a kid-friendly building! lol

And the hotel thing ... as long as they set us up in something w/a kitchen and a separate room for Gwen - it wouldn't be all that bad! Gwen is such a light sleeper that I just see having to tiptoe around the small hotel room while she naps and sleeps. Not cool.

#16 Chiquita

Chiquita
          • 2,674 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:39 PM

Wow Ann that sounds so exciting. And I agree with the other girls that now would be the time to do it before Gwen starts school. I would also love to not have to do cleaning for a month.. heh!!

I have no doubt you would meet some great mommies and families over there :)

#17 Janet

Janet
            • VIP Member
            • 7,459 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:45 PM

Wow Ann - major happenings! I think your feelings on both sides are totally right on -- it's okay that you don't feel 100% like going. What does Paul want? When do you have to decide?

If it were me, I'd do it, but I don't have a baby or a traveling husband so that doesn't mean much at all! What does your gut say?

#18 Janet

Janet
              • VIP Member
              • 7,459 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:48 PM

clearly I didn't read the replies before I replied. Oopsie

#19 Betsy

Betsy

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 4,513 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:41 PM

Ann I just wanted to say WOW what an opportunity!! I do understand the mommy thing, and once you find people you "click" with it is soooo hard to leave - but you will be coming back to MN right?? It is def. going to be a hard decision!! We lived in a hotel for about a month after A got transferred here - and w/ a 5 yr old and a 1 yr old!! But we had a suite w/ a seperate bedroom and kitchen so it worked fine as far as nap times and being quiet and stuff. And I knew it wasn't permanent so there was a light at the end of the tunnel. Either way it sounds exciting.....thinking about you :)

#20 Yari

Yari
                  • VIP Member
                  • 10,928 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:38 PM

Ann I will ask my coworker who is from England...get back to you tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users