We ARE moving to the UK for a bit ... we leave tomorrow!

LCBride2007

i haven't posted anything on here just because it's been crazy around here with all of the birthday madness and family in town. but now that that is all over with and my life is back to normal (kind of), here goes ...

basically a couple weeks ago our company (I'm technically still employed) asked Paul and I if we were willing to go onto a project in either Australia or the UK (right outside of London). The AUS one fell through, but they're now really wanting us in the UK.

we're going back and forth, honestly. the pros are pretty obvious, i think. great opportunity both personally and professionally (for Paul), cool experience, etc. Paul would be the only one working. There's the chance of some at home work for me out of Manchester, but who knows!?

but they want Paul like in a week or so. well, he's in TX this week, Mexico (friends wedding) the next week, and he doesn't want to get home from that and go - so he'd try to push it out at least a few days - so late June-ish. then he'd go to England for about 3 weeks and get things settled and then come back and get us.

why am i even hesitating, you ask? well, i've been traveling for 12+ years. paul has been traveling for about 3-4. we've never really had a normal life in the same city. with Paul's current project finishing and him looking for local jobs, i was finally going to get that "normal" life with a husband that came home every night and a family that lived in teh same city. i was so excited to get my life back - i wasn't able to have much of a social life during the week (no soccer, no happy hours, etc.) with Paul always gone. and then weekends always went so fast. blah blah blah - it all sounds silly when i type it out, but it's honestly what i am thinking.

and then there's the timing. if it were a few months out i'd probably be more excited. but we'd have to get the house in order, as well as all of our affairs here, find someone to either live here or to watch the house for a while, and pack. and i'd be doing most of this alone.

oh, and as you SAHMs know, it's hard enough to be a stay-at-home mommy when you have a the support of friends and family around. it's lonely. i've built up a great network here, and am loving spending time with them and their babies. it sounds lame, but i'm afraid i'd be pretty lonely over there for a while. and paul would have to work 5 days a week ... no big deal really, but neither of us have had to do that for years (we work 4-10s)! so 5 days alone with a baby in another country. i'm sure i could make friends and meet other mommies, i did here quite easily, but ... well, i like my MN mommies! lol

we both know that if we do this that we'd probably be glad we did. it's just hard to get excited about it right now w/all that would need to happen first.

so that's the story ... now chime in with your advice! lol

i feel like i've been holding out on you girls - i apologize!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw your FB update a few days ago and have been wondering what's going on. I can totally see why you're hesitant to go. I agree that if you had more time to get things in order that it would be a lot better. BUT I think it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity so you should go for it. I think you said on FB that it's for 6 months, right? Your house, friends, etc. will all be waiting for you when you get back. I know it's easier said than done, but I think you should do it!

I can totally understand where you are coming from Ann. The "Jessica" side of me would jump at that opportunity and would be super excited but the "mom" side of me would be hesitant for all the things you mentioned. Especially since it's fairly soon and having to get everything ready alone is tough with a little one.

All in all I think it would be an awesome experience for you guys. The UK is pretty awesome. Maybe Gwen's baby talk will take on an English accent wink.gif

It sounds like a fun opportunity. If you did it now, at least you get the chance to live elsewhere, but still come back before your baby starts school. I would probably not do it if I had older children that would be taken away from their friends and family and have to start over at a new school in another country. It's a tough call. I would do it if I knew that my closest family and friends could afford to come visit, and vice versa. Thats the most important thing to me. Good luck with the decision!

That is a tough call. Honestly, it would be nice if the project was longer bc that might help you decide.

When we were on our way home from New Orleans there was a family behind us (I eavesdrop on planes) that was moving home from a year living in Dublin (right outside - sorta like you would be to London). The guy worked for Microsoft and got staffed on a project there. They were planning on being there 3 years but the project finished early and they were coming home to Seattle after only one. They had a daughter who did kindergarten there and a son who was about 2. The mom was in pharmaceutical research here - but was a SAHM in Dublin. She was talking about how they didn't know anyone there but it was amazing how nice people were and how fast they made friends. She said they actually made better friends then they even had in Seattle thought they had lived here longer.

Just some food for thought I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
I can totally understand where you are coming from Ann. The "Jessica" side of me would jump at that opportunity and would be super excited but the "mom" side of me would be hesitant for all the things you mentioned. Especially since it's fairly soon and having to get everything ready alone is tough with a little one.

All in all I think it would be an awesome experience for you guys. The UK is pretty awesome. Maybe Gwen's baby talk will take on an English accent wink.gif
That's a good way to put it - the "Ann" side of me wouldn't have really given it a second thought. The "mom" side, especially the SAHM side, is what's making me think twice.

But we talked about it last night, and we think we're going to do it. Paul will go over there around June 22 and come back 3 weeks later. Then Gwen and I would go over a week or so later with Paul. If things aren't set up for us, I won't go over. The problem is the apt. we'd have isn't totally ready, nor do we know for sure when it will be ready. I don't want to be stuck in a hotel for a month!

OMG Ann i am so glad you are leaning toward doing it - that is soooo exciting!!!! K's cousins just came back from living in Munich for 18 months and they had a baby - they are so glad they did it and got to explore and experience so many amazing things as a family!!

ann 2 things: one i already told you, if you absolutely hate it, at least this time next year you'll already be home! and two, being stuck in a hotel for a month wouldnt be so horrible! a month of no cleaning and work-comped room service? sweeeeeet!