We ARE moving to the UK for a bit ... we leave tomorrow!

LCBride2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR View Post
Oh I know there are bad places everywhere, but since I get to pick where we live - I'd love to pick one that wasn't bad! lol

Per Google Maps (Street View) it looks pretty industrial right around the apt. building, but if you go a few blocks in either direction, it gets better. We may send our co-worker over there to check it out in person. I'll feel better if someoen I trust gives it the thumbs up first!
Good idea lol Always best to get someone to go and take pics for you - don't rely on google isn't not always right lol If i look at google earth at my house my old car is on the drive - i've had this one nearly 3 years lol

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so we had a friend check it out. and he said it's a nice area in that it's a lot of new buildings, it's right on the river so there's the river walk, and there is a park not far away at all. but didn't seem like there were many shops/restaurants in the area. since it is newer, etc. it's likely that the flat itself is one of the nicer ones, but i really want to be in a baby friendly location. grrrr - we need to find out where our other options are!

Ann i'm really excited for you. I'm the type of person that hates change but this experience sounds really great. I love that Paul will be able to spend more time with you and Gwen. And its only 1 year which will probably just fly by. I hope you find the baby friendly place your looking for.

Now when you guys do get back is it more likely that they will keep Paul closer to home since he did make this big move for the company? I was just wondering because derek's company kind of works that way.

Gosh Ann, I am just catching up on this. What an exciting opportunity! I hope you guys find a great place. Wouldn't it be adorable if Gwen had a little English accent? Change is hard, but you only live once! Do it while you can!

Ann - I missed this thread but want you to know that I think this is wonderful! I'm jealous!!! It's my dream to move to another country for a few years with my family. My sister lived in London for 2 years (3 yrs ago) - her husband also had a job transfer there. They lived in Fulham which is a GREAT area! Could you look into Fulham? The soccer stadium was just a few blocks away and on game days, the streets turned into a parade and so lively. My sister was a SAHM with her twin boys who were only 1.5 then. While she was there, she ended up getting pregnant and having her daughter in London. I'm sure she can help you with some ideas - PM me if you want her email address. She found several mom's groups and ended up enrolling the boys in a little school a few hours a week which was soooo cute - they wore uniforms. When they came home, all of the teachers in the states say that they are so well mannered and ahead of their classmates here.

I know it's so hard to leave your friends and life here, but I think this will be such a great opportunity for you and Gwen and Paul. You can take weekend trips to Paris, Malaga and other fabulous places!! When you get back, all of your friends will still be there and welcome you right back and you will be more full of life for having this great adventure.

Good luck getting all of the arrangements in place and I'm soooo happy for you!!!!

ps - I also have good friends who have a 1.5 yr old boy that live in London and can help you with questions. I'll send you their info - they are great! The mom is English and the dad is one of my husband's best friends from CA.

Ok Ann lets see if i can help Chelsea fulham and wimbledon are VERY nice.Ive rung pauls dad and he has said Wimbledon at the bottom of the hill !!!! has lovely restuarants,shops and parks,when we asked about Battersea he was like ummmm wimbledon.There are areas to avoid Brixham,Stretham Lewersham and in the north of London Tottenham,Arsenal etc.How about Bromley a little out but not far on the train.Pauls dad has friends in Claygate and its very nice.I would suggest googling rightmove.com and seeing what is for sale and the prices of property thats always a good bases of what the area is like.If you need anymore help and advice im here.Im only an hour away from the city and dont get there to often but i will try and help as best i can

I definitely want to look into some moms groups for moms with little ones - it would be nice if they were around Gwen's age (1) but not necessary! so if you do have that kind of info. - i'd love to hear about it, either PM me or just post here and I will check back. YAY! good to know about battersea - maybe we will look into the wimbledon apts.

so the office is in New Malden, and Wimbledon is the closest area that we know there are apts available. battersea isn't close, but that's where our co-workers are living and they really like it i guess. fulham looks a little further away, but if it's a fabulous area i'd be willing to do it. well, heck, i don't have to commute - paul does! lol

keep the suggestions coming, ladies!