Review - Photographer Michael Maurus/Cancun Wedding Photography

wow, I'm so sorry for what you went through. That is really awful. It especially sucks that he f***ed up the elements that you specifically spoke to him about. So he cannot blame the problems on "miscommunication" or another bullshit excuse. He just doesn't care and is totally unprofessional.

I also had some issues with my photographer, nothing to the extent that you did, but still, I know how stressful it can be. I also posted an honest review (in my case it was like 75% good and 25% bad) and my photographer got very upset. I hope Michael doesn't cause a bunch of drama for you if/when you see it (Similar to what Morgan and the other BDW member (sorry, forget her name!) went through with K.O.) You should save a copy of this review, so that if ever it does get taken down, at least you can copy and paste and PM it to other girls if they ask about him.

On a brighter note, your review was hilarious and as much as I was feeling awful for you I was also laughing. The sample pictures you put illustrate your points perfectly.

Perhaps some of the photos can be fixed? It's very easy to crop the photos that are too far (use photoshop rather than some quick program like the one that comes with your computer or Picasa, as the latter compress your files when you crop) as long as they are high enough quality. What size are the files? they should be like 3-5MB each and that would be enough to zoom in to make you guys larger (although still not nearly as close as your should be).

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ladies... smile03.gif

You guys are so wonderful! I was really worried some people might think I was being too harsh...(and I even held back a bit!:-))

Thank you so much for all your kind words of support... it makes me feel a TINY bit better about the whole mess:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emme View Post
I give you so much credit for keeping your humor about the whole situation...because your captions about your "arms in the air" pictures were hilarious!!
BELIEVE me..it's taken me months to have a sense of humour about it:-) But seriously...how can you NOT laugh when you look at some of the pictures?? They're just THAT bad! rofl.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtracy View Post
I am so sorry for your awful experience! If it makes you feel any better at all (probably not) after PMing you I didn't use Michael for my TTD in Cancun. So, if nothing else you've at least helped me avoid the same issues (for which I am eternally grateful)
Again, I just really hope to help future brides from going through the same thing! Your siggy and avatar pics look really nice, so I'm happy you found someone else that took great pics! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyB View Post
WOW, what a horrible experience, I' am so sorry. Did you at least get some photos that you like?
Yes, I suppose if I'm looking on the upside of things, we did get a handful of nice pictures... (not sure if a "handful" of good pictures is worth the money we paid for them, but at least it's SOMETHING! :-) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBride View Post
Perhaps some of the photos can be fixed? It's very easy to crop the photos that are too far (use photoshop rather than some quick program like the one that comes with your computer or Picasa, as the latter compress your files when you crop) as long as they are high enough quality. What size are the files? they should be like 3-5MB each and that would be enough to zoom in to make you guys larger (although still not nearly as close as your should be).
Thanks Sunbride! We did get a CD with all the pic in high resolution... Thanks for the advice about Picasa etc b/c I probably would have used

that:-) I think I'll look into buying Lumpaix or photoshop or something....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbie View Post
our very own mod sarah does albums Sproullie Designs - Home (her website is very basic at the moment because its under construction but trust me, she's good!)[/url].
Cool! I didn't know she did albums... I will e-mail her to ask about pricing

etc:-)

And again, if anyone has any other DIY flush-mount album suggestions, lay them on me!!!

I am so sorry that you had this experience on your day. He should have taken the pictures YOU wanted...not the pictures he wanted. This day is about you and your FI. When you pay somebody that much expecting to get what you requested and don't get even that....instead you get bad attitudes and bad pictures on a day that you can't relive for better pictures. I hope you have some pictures that you can use and be proud to display. I hope this review keeps other brides from using him and his company.

WOW.... What a great candid review. I agree with previous posts and love the comparison shots.

I would also echo another previous post, maybe you should consider having the album professionally done. A professional will be able to edit, crop, zoom, and make use of the photos that you have.

Remember:

"Experience is the best teacher, but the tuition is high."

I am thinking this in our Dreams Tulum threads so that the brides who are starting out and still looking for a photographer and who don't venture around the whole forum will see it. People should do the same for other resorts in the mayan riviera.

Thanks for posting such an honest review. I know it's really hard to do. I was also cracking up at some of the things like your confused guests and your hand in the air. My friend had a terrible wedding photography experience. We mock some of the poses everytime we get together. So we sort of turned a negative into a fun joke.

I actually prefer his ceremony shots. I love the dark sky behind you. I feel like a point & shoot camera washes everything out & loses that cool feel of a sunset ceremony.

before I learned photography, I was amazed to see how dark the sky looked in some really nice pictures, when the wedding day video showed the sky was much brighter than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBride View Post
I am thinking this in our Dreams Tulum threads so that the brides who are starting out and still looking for a photographer and who don't venture around the whole forum will see it. People should do the same for other resorts in the mayan riviera.
I wasn't actually sure which part of the forum to post this review in, so I think that's a great idea!
Also Sunbride -- I just sent you another PM, but it didn't go through b/c it said your box was full...I'll try re-sending after you've cleared some space:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
Thanks for posting such an honest review. I know it's really hard to do. I was also cracking up at some of the things like your confused guests and your hand in the air. My friend had a terrible wedding photography experience. We mock some of the poses everytime we get together. So we sort of turned a negative into a fun joke.
Yes, well, as I said before...not much we can do now but laugh and make the best of it:-) It does make for some interesting conversation when people ask us about how our wedding was:-)

OMG We Booked with them in Jan for our Dec wedding!!!! I don't wan't my wedding day to be anything like this thank you for posting this or I never would have know....Now I just have to get out of this and find a good photographer minus our 500.00 deposit (crap!!)

also sunbride...i am pretty good about standing up for honest reviews...most posts that are removed are done so because the poster asked us to remove them.

i have had many vendors threaten legal action against me and the forum for reviews made by other people but luckily the forum is protected by law from these types of lawsuits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlergray View Post
OMG We Booked with them in Jan for our Dec wedding!!!! I don't wan't my wedding day to be anything like this thank you for posting this or I never would have know....Now I just have to get out of this and find a good photographer minus our 500.00 deposit (crap!!)
Oh that sucks.. But the good thing is that you didn't put down a huge deposit and you should still have time to hire a good photographer.