Photo

Steel Drum in Playa del Carmen??????

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VioletVol

VioletVol
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:59 AM

Has anyone had or is anyone planning on having a steel drum? Where did you find them, how much were they? I have only been able to find one and it is way more than I expected. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I don't want to give up on having one, but right now its not looking so good. Help please! :)

#2 Sheree10

Sheree10
    • 1,026 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

it may be hard to find a steel drum player in Mexico. You'll find mariachi bands there.
      http://tickers.Ticke....03cf/event.png

BRIDE + GROOM + 60 GUESTS!!

#3 VioletVol

VioletVol
      • 151 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:52 AM

Yeah that's what I have found. I guess I figured steel drums would be in all parts of the Caribbean, but guess not. I found one but he was crazy expensive so I'll stick with the Ipod.

#4 Meyer2010

Meyer2010
        • 429 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:00 AM

I have been looking for a steel drum band too. I got pricing from Ajua DMC and this is the pricing she gave me. I think that is really expensive! We were just going to have them play for our cocktail hour. I wonder if the acoustics set would be good?

Band - $950 per set ($125 travel fee)

Trio (mostly instrumental) - $850 per set ($90 travel fee)

Duo (2 steel drums) - $750 per set ($60 travel fee)

Single steel drum with backing track - $450 per set ($30 travel fee)

Acoustic only (no sound system) - $225 per set ($30 travel fee)

Our booking fee would be $100USD for any of the options.

#5 BlieLena

BlieLena
          • 41 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:20 AM

I am looking into on for our cocktail hour too... I have my WC on it, I'll let you know if I am sucessful! Since I am so close and to throw out any Plan B's would it make sense to have the DJ starting at cocktail hour playing live Bob Marley tracks w/ steel drum songs of popular songs like Red Wine etc.. I ve gone onto Itunes and you can find any song recorded in steel drums style. I would love to start cocktail hour with a very carribean feel instead of the Mariachi Band. I figure since all my guests are staying in Playa they will see them in town :) Lets keep this post going, otherwise maybe we should start a new band out there

#6 Emmers

Emmers
            • 178 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:07 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by BlieLena
              I am looking into on for our cocktail hour too... I have my WC on it, I'll let you know if I am sucessful! Sincne ev I am so close and to throw out any Plan B's would it make sense to have the DJ starting at cocktail hour playing live Bob Marley tracks w/ steel drum songs of popular songs like Red Wine etc.. I ve gone onto Itunes and you can find any song recorded in steel drums style. I would love to start cocktail hour with a very carribean feel instead of the Mariachi Band. I figure since all my guests are staying in Playa they will see them in town :) Lets keep this post going, otherwise maybe we should start a new band out there
              Did anyone ever have anymore luck with locating a steel drum band? And the prices that were quoted earlier are a lot steeper than we intended to pay for a single cocktail hour. You just can't seem to find much if you're not actually on an island in the Caribbean. However, we, too, would like more of a Caribbean feel than a Mariachi one. If nothing comes up, we really like your idea about starting off with steel drum versions of songs we like on iTunes. Great idea! Thanks!

#7 jplovesme

jplovesme
              • 385 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:54 PM

I'm so glad someone found a steel drum band. Pretty expensive, but I'm not a big mariachi fan. I guess most venues provide sound systems for our ipods, so we'll probably be going in that direction for the cocktail hour. It's that or use one of their soloists -- guitar or harpist.

#8 Boo

Boo
                • 785 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:36 AM

we are going to plug in our ipod for the 20/30 min prior to ceremony and have a cd from this guy playing
                  Steel Drum Wedding Music CDs and MP3s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users