Wedding Dress Confusion.

So I finally got over my fear of shopping for wedding dresses and went with my sis (also my MOH) this Saturday. We had a lovely day but.. all my ideas about what dress I wanted were thrown upside down. shitfan.gif

My wedding file is full of pics of floaty, chiffon, tulle, beachy style dresses but none of the dresses in this style suited me, the chiffon showed off my lumps and bumps and gave me no shape whatsoever.

I didnt see "THE" dress but the ones that suited me were nothing like i'd imagined and most of them felt far too big, restrictive and heavy for a beach wedding. Coming from the UK im not used to heat and humidity at all so I really cant imagine spending a full day in the sun in these dresses when I felt claustraphobic after 1hr of trying them on.

The main prob is that I was only trying on to get an idea of style because I intend to get it made from Landybridal in china (reputable firm producing copies of designer dresses for those that dont know) However now I realise the dresses I originally want dont look good on me Im worried she isnt going to be able to replicate the corset type feel I think im going to have to go with.

I just feel so confused, Is it normal to feel this down after a shopping trip. I know this was my first trip and I have time to go looking again I think I just expected to find "THE" dress and be able to get it made at a price I can afford. Cake and Eat it!!! LOL

um yes! I was the same way as you. I had picked out flowy, chiffon, empire waist 'beachy' dresses and then got to the store and felt like i was wearing a nightgown in all those styles. Everything I thought I wanted was not what looked good on me. Im tall and thin and the flowy dresses made me look like a ruler (which, I guess i am) so in order to have curves I discovered mermaid style were the best on me and thats what I ended up getting in the end and am so happy!

I wouldnt be discouraged, just keep looking. I am sure if landybridal is a wedding dress seamstress, that she will have made a dress with a corset before and she will be ablet o do one for you as well.

I can tell you that every dress I thought was pretty from the pictures and that I thought I would look good in, was not the dress for me. I ended up getting a dress that was completely what I thought I didn't want, but when I tried it on, it ended up being THE dress. the key is keeping an open mind, and trying on different styles, just to see how they look. Keep trying....I don't think many girls find their dress the first time they go out.

Michelle,

Same here! Exactly!! I think you had the same experience that lots of girls have. I wanted tea lenght, with straps, and no beads/sparkle. That was 3 months ago and now I want a very structured sweetheart strapless, full lenth, with a bustle even! 3 weeks ago I got super inspired by a discontinued Maggie S. dress, and ordered it from duosheng.com but I continue to look and it seems I change my mind about what I like and what will actually work on my body. Chin up! It will all be okay!!

Jennifer

The same thing happened to me! I thought that I wanted something light and flowy, but when I went to try them on, I fell in love with a Maggie Sotero gown. My issue now is that I'm comparing every other dress to that one! So i think that I did find 'the one' but I have to keep looking to be sure. Good luck! :)

I spent a good portion of last summer drooling over a particular gown...only to finally track down a sample, try it on and realize it made my otherwise perfectly normal post-children waist line (which I'm normally fairly proud of) completely disappear. Believe me..you aren't alone. Like Michele, the styles I thought would look best on me, didn't or were way too heavy and I couldn't take it. I ended up going with a mermaid gown..which I'd have never thought in a MILLION years with these hips.

Thing is, the floaty beachy dresses ARE basically cut like nighties. Beautiful, but not meant for any type of support whatsoever and only meant to skim curves, not hug 'em. I'm used to heat and humidity to a degree, but I still have no desire to spend my wedding day feeling like I'm walking around in a portable sauna...the solution I think may be in materials that support withougt suffocating. Heavy, bridal satin is a big turn off for me, so everytime I even see a dress made of it, no matter how pretty or flattering, I turn the other way. There are satins that lend support (especially with those lovely corset backs) but still aren't as heavy as the traditional. A nice taffeta is GREAT when boned and corseted....it still breathes.

Just keep looking...there are lots of styles that will fit the bill. Go in next go round asking for lightweight, corseted gowns and do some searches as well. Don't give up and don't feel frustrated! We've all been there for sure.

I had the same confusion-- I had wanted a simple charmeuse or chiffon halter sheath and I looked pregnant in every single one. I ended up with a more structured/fitted dress-- a slim a-line in lightweight silk taffeta with a sweetheart neckline and strapless. I think Savannah is right-- you can find a happy medium between lightweight/floaty and heavy/structured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabride2010 View Post
The same thing happened to me! I thought that I wanted something light and flowy, but when I went to try them on, I fell in love with a Maggie Sotero gown. My issue now is that I'm comparing every other dress to that one! So i think that I did find 'the one' but I have to keep looking to be sure. Good luck! :)
the same thing just happened to me! i haven't completely decided yet...because i left the store thinking...i can't believe everything i thought i wanted is now something else! haha. now i can't stop thinking about that maggie dress!