Newbie here...It's a book, grab a coffee....

conitchewa

Hello fellow brides to be....I was just browsing for some info on destination weddings when I stumbled upon this site.

A destination wedding has basically happened overnite for us...you see, I have been plannning our wedding for Nov 7th, 2009. It was to be at a lovely Heritage Boutique Hotel about a 4hr drive from where we live. A little place where his parents have a beach house, where we fell in love and have spent all our quality time at. Now after 1.5 months of planning it, it has totally sucked the life out of me, everyone is driving me crazy, it seems impossible to please everyone and I had become so miserable that I was at the point of calling the entire thing off. In fact I did actually ask my fiance a couple of wks ago if we could simply put it off until next year. Lucky for me he said he didn't want to wait to make me his wife but he agreed that we could just let things settle down for awhile then resume planning in a couple of months.

Now don't get me wrong, I am totally excited about the actual marriage part, it's just that I have been (unhappily)married before, so guess I was finding no joy in planning a wedding plus our family and friends were not making it any easier either. I was trying to muddle thru it though as my fiance has never been married before and I know how important it is to him to have a "wedding" with his family present. It seemed to me the whole purpose was to please his family, my heart was not into another traditional wedding. I had always dreamed of a destination wedding. So I was miserable. To top it off I lost it with my future MIL after all her negative input and I couldn't take anymore I told her look, I am only doing this for you if I had my way it would be someplace hot and sunny! And she says to me, well dear we would gladly travel to Maui if you would like to do it there. Well, the fact that she was choosing my wedding destination just pissed me off more, no offense to Maui lovers, I have been a few times but personally, I would rather be in Mexico or any place else for that matter.

What was keeping me focused was that I was planning our honeymoon too and I kept on telling myself, do this wedding for them, they can't wreck your honeymoon, look forward to that, that is yours. Then suddenly our Honeymoon dates had to be called off as it conflicted with another family members holiday plans, my husband works with his brother so they can't both be gone the same time...the brother can't/won't change his plans. That was the last straw for me. Now my honeymoon was getting put off for a month past our wedding. I knew I'd have a total meltdown by then.

Now was time for Plan B. Time to put my foot down. Do what Bridezilla wants. The Destination Wedding. I figure, if his folks can travel to Maui they can travel to Mexico. So I chose a quick nonstop destination so everyone does not have to travel too long. I called my matron of honour and her husband and they said no problem they were all in. Suddenly they were happier. I figure anyone else that wants to come can come or they can wait to see us at the reception. Then I called a friend who owns a lovely waterfront restaurant in Vancouver to plan that, he said no problem we can close Nov 7 for your reception. Yay....Its all coming together...Then I promptly went and got a bunch of travel mags. Last night I sat down my awesome husband to be, did my Plan B presentation and he saw took one look at how happy I was and he said look how happy you are at last...thats how a bride should look, lets do it. I am finally a happy bride to be! The way I felt the first week after our engagement, before everyone got their hooks into me...lol

We've chosen Secrets Maroma Beach on the Mayan Riviera for our Weddingmoon. A flight attendant friend was there in February and highly recommended it. I had been to Excellence Playa Mujeres last November with her and she said it was even better than that resort. So respecting her taste made that decision easy. The hard part will be telling his parents. He nor anyone in his family have ever been to Mexico nor have they ever had a desire to go. They all travel to Spain or Maui. la dee da..

I am interested in speaking to other ladies who have been married there or nearby. Whats the deal with the Bloodwork and translating documents? Can anyone fill me in on that?

Thank you all so much.

Welcome and congratulations!! HOpefully your destination wedding planning will be a lot less stressful.. with the promise of a beautiful location and weather..what's there to be stressed about!? Have fun!

Hi and welcome! A lot of us on here are planning on going to the courthouse right before we leave to make the marriage legal (in order to bypass all the paperwork and blood tests) and just having a symbolic ceremony at our destination. I'm keeping it a secret from friends and family that are attending so that they don't get crabby about coming to a wedding when we're already married. We won't consider the courthouse day our wedding day and won't feel married until our ceremony in Mexico, it's really just a formality and doesn't make our wedding any less special. In Mexico, the average wait to get your wedding papers delivered to you is 8 months, and then you have to go though some things so that your country recognizes it. It just seemed like too much for us. We'd rather be married a week before our ceremony than have to wait a year after our wedding to be married in the US. Good luck in your planning! I think you'll find this a really helpful forum!

Hi welcome and congrats.

There are many of us here who are having a DW for the exact reason you were talking about. So you are not alone, and will enjoy this so much more than having a wedding in town. Don't kid yourself there is still stress but no where near as much. And you could do what I do.... Basically do what you want and then tell who ever (in my case, my mom wants to decide everything but for us to pay for it). This way she can invite whoever shewants and only those that really matter will be there. Those that really want to be there. And they are the ones that will probably mean the most to you.