Admin & Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,659 posts
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leia78
Maybe Marin
Wow Tammy your garden is impressive. I had never seen a mangosteen before, are you going to try to grow them?
Sadly I don't have a green thumb... i somehow managed to kill chives!
kimmy, all it takes is a little knowledge...gardening is easier than you think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika J
Ohh, Tammy so exciting.

I have been giving away parsley and basil since those guys have gone crazy in unusually wet Colorado June. However I did not cut the Cilantro in time and it bolted. So I guess I can harvest corriander(sp?) seeds once the flowers are done blooming.

I have many little green tomatoes emerging and I am very excited abou them in my first gardening season.
Erika, my cilantro bolted quickly as well but save the seeds so you can replant when it gets a little cooler. i am doing that with my cilantro and arugala.

how are tomatoes coming along?

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#22 kate.com

kate.com

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 8,921 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:35 PM

Quote:
    You have to harvest the Cilantro a lot, or else it "bolts" flowers.

It was crazy how fast it happened. So anyhow I am drying the corrieander (sp?) seeds and drying them right now. Then you can crush grind them for corriander poweder.
    Sweet.
    Is there a certain way to harvest herbs? I am a noob when it comes to herb gardens. Next year I will try veggies:)

But I am rocking the perinnial garden I must say!

#23 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 8,569 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:35 PM

They are all ripening right now, the flavor is amazing, def a little bit of that cherry tomato flavor, then a whole bunch of sweet finish in the flavor, so tasty. I have 1 or 2 ripen each day this week and last week.

#24 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 8,569 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:36 PM

Kate-I usually just google what ever I harvest and cut as recommended from that.

#25 kate.com

kate.com

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 8,921 posts

Quote:
          They are all ripening right now, the flavor is amazing, def a little bit of that cherry tomato flavor, then a whole bunch of sweet finish in the flavor, so tasty. I have 1 or 2 ripen each day this week and last week.
          Oh see my prob is I hate tomatoes. I know, right? Well I like them cooked. But I try like every other year to eat them fresh and can't do it.
          I wish.... but I like pretty much everything else.

#26 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 8,569 posts

Kate- I love your landscaping pics!! you should share some new ones!

#27 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
            • 11,659 posts
            • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:38 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by kate.com
            Where are my gardeners at
            Kate thanks for the tip!!!

My Porter dark cherrys are all ripening, like 1 or 2 a day and they are so flavorful and amazing!!!

I did a major basil harvest (it was out of control), I am drying them on the stem for now and them will crush and jar it.

My oregano took awhile but now is growing like crazy.
            got to love garden fresh tomatoes...we are picking about 6-8 lbs a day of tomatoes and giving them away. i am gonna start freezing and making sauces soon because my san marzanos are starting to ripen. we are eating BLT's almost every day
            My cilantro didn't make it either... whats the trick?
            cilantro like lettuces need to be grown when the weather is cooler. it bolts when the weather gets too warm. so you may need to try to grow them earlier in the season or plant in a less sunny area. i am making a special grow box of lettuce, arugala, cilantro and putting it is a shadier spot. also, i am gonna try to do a spring and fall planting of them.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
            Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
            Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
            Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
            sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
            Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#28 kate.com

kate.com

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 8,921 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:38 PM

Quote:
              Quote:
              Kate- I love your landscaping pics!! you should share some new ones!
              Ok, will try to take some new ones this weekend. I am moving a bunch of stuff around and I went ape Sh** on some snow on the mountain= evil ground cover that takes over everything so it may not look fab but will take some anyways.

So my new project is growing ivy on the back of our house.... stay tuned!

#29 kate.com

kate.com

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 8,921 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:40 PM

Good idea about the shade box. You should post a pic on your blog when you do that so I can copy:)

#30 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 8,569 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:41 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Tammy Host
                  we are eating BLT's almost every day .
                  OMG great- now I am craving a BLT!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users