Looking for an internship

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 estella1007

• 475 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:48 AM

I am a fashion design student in NJ, and am looking for a summer or fall internship. I have been searching all the job sites for months, submitting resumes directly to companies, and even cold calling. I can't find any internships! There are only 2 or 3 in NYC, but I am hoping to find something in PA or NJ. You would think with the economy being so bad that companies would be taking all the free work they can get! I figured I would see if any of you guys have any leads. I only want school credit, so I don't even need to get paid for it. Thanks!

#2 katrina

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 4,328 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:50 PM

I went to Drexel (in Philly) and I had a lot of Fashion Merch friends.. I'll try and rattle off some places I remember them co-oping in...
      Urban Outiftters (in the old Philly Navy Yards)
      David's Bridal
      Joan Shepp (Walnut St.)
      Lilly Pulitzer
      Vera Wang Bridal
      DKNY Accessories

I don't have any contacts or anything, so can't help there... but maybe these are some fresh ideas?

#3 Jessica

• VIP Member
      • 11,939 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:37 PM

I was in a totally different field (Counseling) but I remember my internship hunt for last Fall was brutal. I must have contacted every couseling area in NJ and PA and I only got 3 responses, 2 interviews and 1 offer. SUCKED.

Do the companies have to be recognizable names or can you intern at smaller places, like for an indie clothing company?

I would also try looking on JerseyIntern.com - Find Local New Jersey Internships - Providing Internship and Volunteer Opportunities . I know they have a fashion design category, but not sure what kind of internship listings they have. One of the call-backs I got was from an agency I found on the site.

#4 estella1007

• 475 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:02 PM

Thanks guys! Jessica, I'm gonna check that site now. Katrina, I have been stalking most of those companies for a while now, but you mentioned a few I didn't know were in this area.Like Vera Wang and Bloomingdale's. I actually had an interview at Urban a few months back for a technical design internship. The interview went better than great, and I totally hit it off with the guy interviewing me. At the end he wanted me to do a "pattern test" and draft a jacket right there. I have no problem drafting patterns and am pretty darn good at it. I'm still in school though, and not ready to go and draft a whole jacket by memory. So I didn't get that one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users