... And now the guests' flights and hotels are cancelled!

Chanti

So first it was us, due to the swine flu. Lost our Sunquest packages with our upgraded room, booked back in December, as well as our direct Toronto-Cancun flight, since we were leaving June 20th. We were told our guests, leaving June 26 and 27 to come join us, would be OK. And when the Canadian government lifted the travel advisory to Mexico earlier this week, I thought we were coast clear. Now, I've just been informed by our travel agent that our guests have lost their entire packages as well. (HOW do the airlines and tour companies justify this, at this time, when things are improving?) She's scrambling to find them flights, and book their rooms directly with the resort now, hopefully she will succeed.

I've reached the point where I'm resigned. Now I'm thinking: OK, we can handle this, but what's the next thing that will go wrong?

Honestly, we should have just eloped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Heather* View Post
Oh man, Chanti what is up with that?! What is their reason for cancelling, when things are better? Are they still blaming it on H1N1?
My TA and I are assuming "yes", but they haven't given an actual reason. The TAs are getting discouraged and frustrated too because they keep having to pick up the pieces....

Chanti,

I'm so sorry this is happening. My wedding was May 1st and there were a lot of folks from Canada there. Most of them had to leave early and cut their vacations short because the Canadien government was stopping travel to Mexico. I live in the US and I had giests cancel because they thought the US would shut down travel between us and Mexico, but they didn't.

It just really sucks that the flu is making governments across the world freak out.

I hope your TA is able to work things out for you.

Katie

Alot of the airlines have cut flights to Mexico. Unfortunately people just aren't going so they've cut flights cause they are losing alot of money to keep flying w/ mostly empty flights. Therefore most of the flights are full cause they've REALLY cut back. My suggestion is to breath and relax for just a minute.

Our original flight was from here to Salt Lake and SLC straight to Cancun, but since we're going in the middle of the week many people aren't going then. So they cancelled our SLC-CUN flight (before H1N1 even happened) and sent us through Atlanta I was bummed cause now I wasnt getting there until late at night but oh well. Well due to no one flying cause of H1N1 they cancelled our ATL flight last week and had us leaving home at 7pm to SLC, then taking a red-eye at 1am to ATL, and leaving at 8am from ATL to CUN. I was really upset we have a 1 year old and 7 month pregnant girl going on these flights and I'm not taking a red eye unless I'm getting upgraded to a bigger seat for my 1 yr old and I to sleep in. Well when I called they are having more demand to Cancun so they were starting up our original flights from SLC-CUN and we're all back to square 1 and happy.

If there is enough demand they will add a flight be patient you have over a month so breath for a week and see what happens. Especially since they've lifted the travel warning there may be some more people headed that way!