Receiving money as a gift...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ~*Lisa*~

• 2,287 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:46 PM

So we've just received a gift this week which was some cash. Now my question is, are people expecting for you to buy something with what they gave you and then tell them what you bought? Or do you think it's ok to put in savings for either the wedding itself, or something you may want to buy later? I wonder if people will get upset? Thoughts anyone?

• Moderators
    • 25,218 posts
    • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    • LocationSeattle

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

wow that was an early gift!!

I wouldfor sure send them a thank you note. was it a large amount? I think if it was a big chunk if change that it would be ok to say thanks for contributing to our marriage, and leave it ambiguous at that.

then spend it on what you need to, for the wedding or honeymoon or whatever.

later if you are asked what it was used for you can say saving for honeymoon expenses, I mean it's all relative whether you spend it now or later, it's the same money, kwim? :)

#3 jk1101

• 2,582 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

Usually I send a thank you note that says " Thank you for the generous gift. FI and I will be able to use it for _____".

You are absolutely not obligated to say what you're using it for. As long as you say thank you, you're fine

#4 ~*Lisa*~

• 2,287 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:55 PM

you're not kidding it was early, like 8 months early! lol

not to sound ungrateful, but it was $50. I guess I was expecting a little more but that's ok, it all helps in the end. I'll for sure send a thank you card!

#5 itsfinallyhere

• 573 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:07 PM

I think a Thank-you card is all that is need. I don't think you have to explain further. But under such circumstances they are probably not going to attend then wedding. I think in such a case they are very considerate and again a thank-you for that consideration is all that is needed.

#6 Sloan

• 1,279 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:26 PM

Shit. The vast majority of our friends thought that if they weren't coming to our wedding in JA it was their "ticket" out. Nice, eh? Those that gave us gifts, money or otherwise got thank you cards. We didn't explain what we did with the money.

#7 ~*Lisa*~

• 2,287 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:44 PM

This is an old aunt and we already know that she's not coming. It was sooo nice of her to send us a gift already. I'll send a thank you, but I doubt I'll explain what it was used for.

#8 jawedding

• 197 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:16 PM

I definitely don't think you need to explain what you did with a cash gift that was smaller (ie. $50, although I agree that everything helps!), OR one that was larger but comes later (close to or after the wedding) - (although, if you ended up buying something before you send thank you cards out - an excursion, a lawn mower, whatever, you could mention it in the thank you card).

It might be nice to mention what the money will go toward, no matter the gift (ie.. a downpayment, a new vehicle, a lawn mower haha), however the only time I think you really should give an explanation might be when a close family member gives you a considerable sum as a gift "to help with the wedding".. I might be wrong about this, but in this instance I would probably let them know that they helped to buy 'the beautiful flowers', or 'the dress' or whatever, just to show gratitude, and help make them feel like they were an important part of 'the day' coming together.
                33 People Booked!!

#9 BlakleyBrideToBe

• 2,115 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

Most diffently send a Thank You Card! you don't have to put what you used it for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users