Photo

Birdcage veil and fascinator

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 leogurl

leogurl
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:51 PM

Has anyone tried to make a birdcage veil or fascinator. I got some netting from a fabric store for real cheap ($1.99) and want to try and make one. I've found some websites with instructions, but I would love to hear or see what other people have tried. My FI and the groomsmen are wearing fedora hats, and I thought it would be nice to have the birdcage veil with a silk flower fascinator and some feathers. And if it turns out to be easy, then I will make fascinators for my bridesmaids too.

#2 ~*petals*~

~*petals*~
    • 1,572 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:27 PM

I bought Russian netting @ a local fabric store & a hair flower at Kohls, and my mom's friend helped me put it all together. I say go for it!

I haven't had a chance to try it on with my dress yet, so I'm not 100% sure if I'll wear it during the wedding or just the day-after shots...

#3 estella1007

estella1007
      • 475 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:45 PM

I made a few last weekend as accessories for my models in my fashion show for school. I did 3 in under 30 minutes, it cost me a total of $15, and I didn't even use a quarter of the amount of stuff I bought. Just used plastic hair combs, ostrich plumes, silk roses, and tulle, hot glue gun to put it all together. It's def worth a try. Go buy a yard of the cheap 1.99 tulle and a bag of plastic combs for .99 to practice with.

#4 ~*petals*~

~*petals*~
        • 1,572 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:24 PM

Here's my DIY birdcage veil (made with assistance from mom's friend).

Click the image to open in full size.

#5 chloe55

chloe55
          • 162 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:36 PM

This is a little off topic, but do you mind me asking where you got the fedoras? We're looking for some inexpensive white straw ones and not really having any luck. I say go for it with the birdcage/fascinator!

#6 leogurl

leogurl
            • 66 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:59 AM

estella1007, do you have any pictures? I'd love to see how you attached the tulle.

chloe55, the guys got their hats at a local hat store here in Portland, but they do have an online website. They got collapsable straw hats. Not sure what they paid, but all of the guys like them.

John Helmer Haberdasher - Headwear, fedoras, hats, caps, berets, Panamas, derby

#7 marryinghimagain

marryinghimagain
              • 479 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:52 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by ~*petals*~
                Here's my DIY birdcage veil (made with assistance from mom's friend).

Click the image to open in full size.
                Very Pretty! Looks great!

#8 lavieenrose

lavieenrose
                • 26 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:40 AM

I purchased my fascinator at http://www.etsy.com/...irdcage-wedding and I love it!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users