Photo

Catholic Marriage Retreat this weekend - help!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 Cattie

Cattie
  • 594 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:50 AM

We did the pre cana. Since we're having our marriage blessed in church we had to. It wasn't to bad. I was really shocked. We didn't do the get away since I can't share a room with a random person, and well I've been sleeping in the same bed as the hubby for 10 years now I can't sleep without knowing he'll be crawling into bed eventually!

#12 Jess

Jess
    • 4,455 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:13 PM

It was really good! Thanks for asking Betsy...super emotionally draining so we went to bed at 9pm last night.

I really think every couple should go through it before they get married - you really focus on a lot of communication to help you in the marriage...6 couples ended up leaving but we made it - woo hoo! I could see how there could be deal breakers when you really get into the nitty gritty.

#13 Jess

Jess
      • 4,455 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:14 PM

It was really good! Thanks for asking Betsy...super emotionally draining so we went to bed at 9pm last night.

I really think every couple should go through it before they get married - you really focus on a lot of communication to help you in the marriage...6 couples ended up leaving but we made it - woo hoo! I could see how there could be deal breakers when you really get into the nitty gritty.

#14 H&F

H&F
        • 361 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:58 PM

Jess, What were some things that were brought up that you felt made the other couples leave? I'm curious and since I'm not catholic I'll not get to experience a retreat like yours.

It's hard to believe that so many people left. Congratulations on making it through!

#15 Jess

Jess
          • 4,455 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:21 PM

Thanks!

You know I'm not sure exactly because we just noticed at times that a couple was gone - and then at the end saw they set 6 "diplomas" aside...there is a lot of communication issues that could be deal breakers...I mean it goes over everything from intimacy, to forgiveness, to finances, children, etc.

Paul and I had a hard time with some things and we have discussed everything already..I think the couple's who were not that serious could have been the ones...also there was a lot of writing and if your fiancee didn't take it seriously and you did that could be a huge issue, I knew it would of been for me.

#16 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 8,569 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:52 PM

Wow Jess, sounds like it was intense but good. I am glad that you and Paul are stronger for it.

#17 dear tulip

dear tulip
              • 46 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:59 PM

I'm glad you liked it Jess! We also had our retreat some months ago in Mexico, and there were only a total of 6 couples. It was very intense, super emotional (lots of tears), helpful and beautiful (like singing love songs with neat lyrics, praying for each other in the dark with candles lit, parents coming to congrat us at the end as a surprise, etc). We got to discuss about many things that we haven't even thought about (like the priority of where your money will go to). At the end, we got to know each other much better, and all of the couples made it! I mean, even if some couples couldn't make it, it just means that they realise their problems and need more time. It's better to realise it before rather than after the wedding!

I agree with you! I think everyone should do it, Catholic or not!

Oh, I love this saying on the booklet: Wedding is for a day, Marriage is for a life.

#18 Jess

Jess
                • 4,455 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:13 PM

that is nice yours was only 6 couples! I bet you got to know the other couples...ours was 40 couples...I think a little too many

#19 MissLucky7Bride

MissLucky7Bride
                  • 147 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:00 AM

Take this time to reflect on your future commitment. My fiance and I did a 1-day intensive Catholic retreat and it was THE BEST thing we did! It helped us to identify our "problem" areas and how to correctly address them. It taught us conflict resolution and it was worth the money! I highly recommend it to anyone!

Good luck

#20 ACH2009

ACH2009
                    • 330 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:28 AM

Hi Jess! I give you major props for doing the weekend retreat! That was one of our options however we decided we would rather not do the full weekend trip. Neither of us were too crazy about the idea of sharing a room with a stranger. But we did do the one day retreat and found it to be a really good experience. I'm really glad that we did it. I feel that you can learn a lot about each other and your relationship from the whole process.
                      Our Pro Pic slideshow by Tammy B Photography
                      http://www.tammybpho...index2.php?v=v1

Our Pro Pic slideshow by Melissa Green Photographyhttp://www.melissagr....php#/featured/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users