Pig Roast Reception

I was wondering if I could get your thoughts on a pig roast reception. We are looking at these cottage/inn place to have our wedding. So we would be bringing in a caterer. They have two options we were interested in.

A regular dinner, or a Hawaiian Luau Pig Roast.

The Pig Roast just sounded like something a little different to us. And since we did orginially want to get married in Hawaii it sounded fun.

Will this gross people out? I have to admit Ive never been to one, and Im worried it would.

What are your thoughts?

I think it depends on the atmosphere you want. If you want "beach chic" or "simple & elegant" I would go for a regular dinner.

If you want a more casual feel then do the pig roast.

I went to a pig roast wedding once and it was a little weird because it wasn't what I was expecting. I was in heels and a dress picking meat off a pig, trying not to look it in the face!

From a catering standpoint, if you only have 30 or so people it seems like a pig would be a waste of food. A buffet/plated dinner might be cheaper?

The bottom line is that it's your wedding. Do what you think will be the most fun. I do like that it ties in with your Hawaii idea.

I might be biased being Filipino so big parties always call for roasted pig in our culture ~ "lechon" to be exact. But I think having a Hawaiian luau reception is such a fun idea, and it will definitely be something your guests will remember wink.gif

If you do decide to go this route, then I say you need to go all out with it. Make sure your other dishes and sides also fall in line with this theme so it stays consistent, yanno don't just have a random pig with other stuff, lol. In doing that, I think it would also be nice to create a luau type setting -- decor, music, lighting, drinks, maybe even ask your guests to dress for it, etc.

Oh and also, would be a good idea to let your guests know it will be a luau so they know what to expect rolleyes.gif

I love the idea of a pig roast. It makes me feel like I'm on vacation even if it's in a friends back yard. So I vote for that one. Only concern would be the guests. It really depends on who is attending. Are your friends and family more of a laid back barbecue style type? Or are they more traditional? I would base it on that.

We originally wanted to do a big pig roast for our after-wedding reception, but with our wedding being in November our families thought 6 months after the wedding was too long to wait. Bummer:) We have huge families so we have like 250 guests attending the reception. I loved the idea of a big tent, casual pig roast, salads, desserts, keep it fun and totally not stuffy. But being in Ontario, there sure as heck cannot be any outdoor receptions until at least June! The indoor reception is WAY more expensive, more formal, etc. Oh well. I guess I get what I want with the destination wedding:)

I've been to a few pig roasts over the years and you totally should do it! It's fun and more importantly tasty!!

Will it be roasted underground or on a spit? A spit is in everyone's face, but if it is underground the people who want to see it come out of the ground can see it and the people who don't want to see it can mingle off to the side or inside and wait for it to be carved. It doesn't have to be served head and all, you could ask that they just put the carved pieces on platters and keep the head/other body parts in the kitchen.

I think that if you want a pig roast your inlaws need to get into the spirit of things or at least keep their concerns to themselves...it's your party so make it your version of memorable wink.gif

Yeah def. agree with Jamy, if family is worried about seeing the actual body...then have it carved up and served. Having the pig out is really just to give it that luau feel, either way it will be super yummy! The roasted pig is also a good way to serve a lot of people with low costs. I know out here in Cali we can get a roasted pig to serve 40+ people for about $200-$220.

Can you girls just walk around on my shoulders and be the good angel and fight off the bad angel? :)

So the menu that they quoted us for the pig roast is this...

Pig Roast Menu

Sweet Sausage Stuffed Mushroom Caps

Silver dollar sized Mushroom Caps Sautéed with wine and seasoning then stuffed with a sweet sausage stuffing and topped with a assortment of cheeses.

Spanikopita

Fresh Spinach and Ricotta cheese wrapped in delicate philo pastry dough

and baked to a golden crisp

Salad

Traditional Caesar

Romaine hearts, fresh grated parmesan cheese and garlic herb encrusted croutons

along with Caesar dressing make this tasty salad a favorite for all occasions

Dinner

Stuffed Suckling Pig Carving Station

Assorted Sausages, Apples, Oranges, Onions, Salt and Pepper, Tied and Roasted all day

Your chef will carve and serve to you and your guests

Mustards, Hot Sauces and Watermelon BBQ

Lemon Pepper Dry Rubbed Bone in Chicken

Bone in chicken with Lemon Pepper seasoning

Santiva Fried Rice

Celery, Onion, Carrot, Water Chest Nuts, Gold Pineapple, Sesame Oil,

Fresh Herbs and Chicken Stock steamed and garnished with carved vegetables

Baked Beans

Slowly cooked beans in a savory sauce with bacon, brown sugar and pineapple

Corn on the Cob

Assorted Breads, Roll, Cornbread and Whipped Butter

Dessert