Is anyone not having a traditional wedding reception?

we just had dinner together in an AI hotel restaurant. we didn't plan a lot & let everyone do their own thing most of the time. it was great & everyone enjoyed it. Several people said it was the best vacation they had been on.

When we originally were going to do a wedding in Hawaii, that's exactly what we were going to do so I think you're fine, but we ended up choosing a different location.

Anyway, think about how much you would normally pay per head if you were to have a wedding reception in the U.S. and how many people would normally attend at home. It would range from $70-$120 per head, so paying for 34 people for a luau isn't so bad, but it all depends on your budget. Also, people say they are coming but until they buy tickets, they're not a definite yes, so you might end up with less people than you think. We invited about 30-something people and will probably only have about 20 or so attend. Also, find out if you can get any group rates on luau tickets. If you are buy a bunch at one time, you might be able to get a group rate. Hope that helps. And Congrats!!!

I love the idea of a luau!

We're not having a traditional reception either, we're going to have dinner and cocktails but nothing fancy. I just couldn't justify the cost of a big reception with only 20-25 people attending.

Do what makes you and your FI happy, that is what matters most!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxytv View Post
We had a fun beach reception and then partied at one of the bars afterwards .... then a totally informal AHR a month after our return home.
We're having a dinner and short reception at the villa we're renting (Casa China Blanca) but we have to stop the noise at 11pm at which point we're planning on continuing the party at a bar so we're looking for good suggestions in PV if anyone has any!

A luau sounds great! If I was getting married in Hawaii, that is what I would want to do. I think your guest will be really excited and have a great time. I am getting married in Key West while my cruiseship is in port. My ship is only there from 7 am to 2 pm, due to beach cleaning, we won't be having our ceremony until 11:30 am. We are planning to go to Margaritaville after for a few drinks and a small cake. We have been telling every since we planned the wedding, that there is no reception and they are fine with that. They have the option of staying home and looking at the pictures online.

Good luck and enjoy your Hawaiian wedding!

I think a luau sounds like an awesome idea! It's a great way to incorporate the culture.

My wedding is in the early afternoon, and we were planning on doing a more formal reception and having a gap, but now I'm reconsidering. A lot of people who are coming to our wedding are not very extroverted - not dancers or partiers, really - so I'm not sure if people would really even want all that!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is what we are planning.  We are getting married in Maui in April of 2012 and are currently looking at Luaus.  We will be a party of 20-25 guests.  

I was really worried that we would miss out on the "party" part of the reception by only having a small group, so a luau really fits what we want.  We have no problem being untraditional.

The only snag I ran into is most luaus will not seat your party together or will place strangers at your table if you do not fill a full one (8 guests).

Because of this, we are looking at the Feast at Lele, which does a full luau put on by the Old Lahaina Luau but will guarantee us at one table bc it is a five course plated dinner.  I figure we are getting the best of both worlds this way.