Mother of the Groom- wearing a white dress too----HELP

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Copita

• 979 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:46 AM

Yep. It's an unspoken rule that you DO NOT wear white to someone's wedding.
    Have you fiance talk to her about it and playfully suggest, Aw mom really? You should wear X color because you know only the bride is supposed to wear white at the wedding.
    It could have been something that totally slipped her mind.
    Good luck!

#22 erinleigh

• 316 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by fmsmith423
      Thanks Ladies for all the support.
      SO, my FI and I are going to see the dress and decide for ourselves.
      Keep us posted!! I look forward to hearing how this all turns out because I just found out that I too have someone who is considering wearing an "off white" dress. ahhhh! What is wrong with people!!!

#23 michelle6114

• 209 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:40 PM

Wow....what a slap in the face!! I hope your FI tells her NO WAY (then he can look like tha bad one lol). I was at a wedding where the MOTG wore a lace dark ivory dress and even then people were shocked.
        Good luck!

#24 Lizzyup

• Banned
        • 8 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:49 PM

Okay, so I just found out today that my FI mother is wearing a white dress!!!!!
          This seriously can not be happening, right?

What the heck to I do? She is throwing me a bridal shower this weekend.
          I would ask your FI to go talk to his mother and explain to her that she's not supposed to be doing that. What is she thinking?

#25 dear tulip

dear tulip
          • 46 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:22 PM

Tell her asap so that she has time to pick another dress. I mean, no excuse for her to show up in white!

#26 jajajaja

• VIP Member
            • 9,794 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:28 PM

Why does this always happen? Why do women even WANT to wear white? IMO it's not the most flattering of colors! But I agree with others- have FI talk to his mom. THat's always the best policy. :) I still use that tactic now that I'm married.
              Happily married since 2008

#27 JenniferSS

• Banned
              • 1,047 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

The title reminded me of the movie "Monster In Law" !

#28 cougs

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 12,151 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:51 PM

Anyways, my FI talked to his sister and she reassured him that she would never let her get a white dress. It is an all tan dress and she will be wearing gold shoes. SO, my FI and I are going to see the dress and decide for ourselves.
                  did you ever go see her dress? is it really tan, or too close to white? update us!

#29 islandbride317

• 1,866 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:00 AM

Felicia -- I know EXACTLY where you are coming from, girl!

Just this past weekend, my FI and I went to visit his mother for Mother's Day, and while he was busy fixing something wrong with her computer, she wanted to look through pictures from her wedding, and his sister's wedding again with me.

All was well, until we got to the picture of her (in her ALL WHITE beaded/sequined Mother of the Bride outfit from his sister's wedding!) and she said..."I think I am going to wear this again for YOUR wedding! I spent all that money, so at least I should get to wear it twice, right sweetie?" and I could have died! WHAT could I say? I just smiled and sort of nodded, and thought "Uh-oh. We're gonna have problems....". She is probably one of the sweetest, most generous women I could have been blessed to have gotten as my future MIL, but I mean, come on already, right?!

I agree with everyone who has said let your FI or FSIL handle it -- I think that is what I am going to have to do! Good luck to us both!

#30 Sammygurlj

• 165 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by TA Jennifer
                      The title reminded me of the movie "Monster In Law" !
                      That's exactly what I was thinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users