Feeling Guilty about having a wedding in Maui?

rhomarie

Hi Maui Brides-to-Be!

Is it just me OR are any other brides feeling guilty about having their wedding in Maui given that Maui is very expensive, especially in this tough economy sad.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love Maui and wouldn't want to get married anywhere else but can't help but feel guilty... UGH....

I am getting married in Mexico, not Maui.. but I love Hawaii!! I think it is your wedding and you should choose to have it where you want to. If guests cannot afford to come, I am sure you will completely understand. Plus, you are in San Fran, so from the west coast, you can get some good deals to Hawaii. I wish my friends would all have destination weddings so at least if we are going to have to travel across the country (fiance in military so we move a lot) then at least you can go somewhere amazing. We spend so much money traveling to our friends weddings in their hometowns anyway, so would be stoked to go to Hawaii instead.. Happy planning, and if it is what you want then go for it. Although, just keep in mind you might have a smaller guest list, but sometimes that is exactly what we want! :)

We had our wedding in Maui. Yes, it could get expensive. We all found really good flight deals to get there and I made sure to let people know once we did find a good deal. Alot of our single guests stayed together in a condo to make it even cheaper.

Also we treated our guests that came to a bbq the night before the wedding, a reception dinner at Seawatch the day of the wedding, and a luau the following evening in Lahaina. We wanted our guests to know how much we appreciated them coming to see us get married. Plus they got really awesome OOT bags. Granted we had only about 20 people there total, but I think those things we did for them made it a bit more reasonable for people to come. Alot of them made a great vacation out of it.

I think if you are able to be on top of deals for your guests and let them know as soon as you see one, it can make it quite an affordable vacation for someone. OR get a TA to do all that for you :)

Good luck and don't feel too guilty. The people that want to be there to see you get married will be there :)

Oh I should also add, we bought a Hawaii Entertainment Book for the coupons and definitely got our moneys' worth out of it. There are lots of coupons for everything at the airport etc which comes in handy.

And, we stocked up at Costco for cereal and water etc etc. If someone has a Costco card I highly recommend going there to get bulk stuff that could be shared between everyone.

We are getting married in Maui too, and we have already realized our rsvp yes list may be very small, especially in this economy. But thats A-OK w/ us! Like the other girls said, you should do what you and your FI want! Thats really all that matters.

Chiquita, I am putting together (or trying to) my OOT bag stuff....what all did you include?? Thanks so much!

I agree that I'd much rather pay to go somewhere amazing for a wedding than...back home. For me, FI and I are about 12 hours from "home" and a friend is getting married there this August. If I wasn't going to be here MOH, I honestly don't think I'd be going back because I found out my plane ticket to get there is going to cost the same as my flight to Hawaii!!

Great deals can be found in HI. My family, which is my parents and 3 siblings, got their trip package for under $1000 a person and then plan to eat at the inexpensive places such as plate lunch spots and such (other than what we're covering for them for wedding festivities of course!). My family has never taken a major vacation (it's always been camping in the same state, etc) and were we not having a DW, they probably never would, so this is a great excuse for them!

I think the people who mean a lot to you will work hard to get there. If you have a wedding website, include tips for ways guests can save, or even include this in your invitations. We found Maui Revealed (the book and their website) to have amazing tips and advice, as well as Frodors. Good luck! No reason to feel guilty! I felt that way at first too, and it's hard when most adults are choosing not to bring their kids, but I figure for me, I'll come up with something a little special to do for those kids at our AHC.

I have the exact same guilt. We have been going back and forth for about a year between destination wedding and one at home. We finally decided that we are going to do what we want and what makes us happy. If our friends can come they will, and if they can't, I know they understand.