Translated Mexican Marriage Liscense... now what

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lauraandmatt

lauraandmatt
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:31 AM

Hello-
    We got married last week in Cancun. I have the translated marriage liscense but I don't know what to do with it. When I contacted my city hall, they acted like they had no clue what I was talking about.

We live in the Illinois and I wanted to see if a past bride can give me some direction. I am in the process of searching the internet for an answer!

Thank you,
    Laura

#2 lgarner83

lgarner83
    • 530 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:46 AM

Are you sure you have to do anything? I know that a Mexican legal wedding license is recognized in the US and Canada.

#3 Karen

Karen
      • 1,308 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:38 AM

There's nothing you have to do. Your marriage is legal and recognized in the US. Just start changing your name if that's what you want to do. I was legally married in Mexico and had very few problems with name change on documents/ accounts and my license was not translated.
        <center><embed src="http://www.widdlytin...nancyticker.swf" FlashVars="t1=Baby Lambert is on the way&b=7&c=0xCC00CC&f=5&y=2010&m=4&d=14" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="430" height="115" name="Pregnancy Ticker" align="middle"...

#4 lauraandmatt

lauraandmatt
        • 127 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:40 PM

Thank you for the information! I am going to start working on changing my name...

#5 liz1717

liz1717
          • 113 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:22 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Karen
            There's nothing you have to do. Your marriage is legal and recognized in the US. Just start changing your name if that's what you want to do. I was legally married in Mexico and had very few problems with name change on documents/ accounts and my license was not translated.
            Karen -

You didn't get your marriage license translated and haven't had any problems with making legal changes in the US? That's good to know! I called the Registrar of Deeds in my county and they said I don't need to come in or anything, I can just start filling out the paperwork to get a new SS card and drivers license. I have been wondering whether I need to pay for translation. Thanks!

#6 lauraandmatt

lauraandmatt
            • 127 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:50 PM

Here's an update. I talked to my city courthouse and their is no need to file the document. If we want, we can file our marriage license as a misc document to have it on file. We paid to have the document translated, but there is no need for it! I went to the social security office and they wanted/needed the orginal spanish version of the marriage certificate. I also went to get my new license and they wanted the spanish version too. I think that we paid $45 for the resort to translate the document. I would say that it's up to you, but I have not needed it to date!

#7 Betsy

Betsy

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 4,513 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:11 PM

I was going to say - I just brought both copies to the SS office and the DL place too. The reason they wanted the spanish one was b/c there was some sort of "seal" or something - the translated one is more like a photocopy - but I still brought them both, and had NO problems at all! It was way easier than I ever thought! Good Luck!

#8 liz1717

liz1717
                • 113 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:42 PM

Betsy -

Thanks so much for the information! I'll probably just get it translated back here if I need to. I've read several of your posts and you've been so helpful and after seeing your pictures and hearing about your experience, I can't wait to get married at the MP next month!!!

#9 jrb

jrb
                  • 83 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

I thought you don't get the orrigional for like 5 months after you get home?

#10 shan0487

shan0487
                    • 1,393 posts
                    • Wedding Date:November 23, 2012
                    • Wedding Location:Sun Palace & Moon Palace- Cancun, MX
                    • LocationSt Louis, MO

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:44 AM

wow, you ladies are making it sound easier than everyone else has.. how long did it take you to get your license?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users