Do I have to wear make-up?

So, I mentioned to FI that I was looking for someone to do my hair and make-up and he threw a hissy fit about me wearing make-up. Admittedly, I don't wear it ever. At least not for 3 years or so. So, my question to you ladies is, do I have to wear make-up on my wedding day?

We'll be in Kauai and I imagine it will be humid and hot and windy. BUT, I don't own any makeup and would rather not have to spend a lot of $$$ buying some, only to never use it again.

What would you suggest?

Perhaps going for a makeup trial would be a good idea to see if you like the way it looks and to see if you can stand it for a day. You can get makeup for fairly cheap. Try taking a picture of yourself without the makeup and then, if you get a makeup trial done, take a picture with the makeup on so you can see the differences and compare. I think pictures will look better with makeup but, ultimately, it's completely up to you. If you're not comfortable with it, don't do it. :)

I think brides tend to take extra special care with their hair and makeup because they want to have a little extra ooomff since it's such a special day. rolleyes.gif After all, wedding pictures are timeless and certainly moments in time you will want to look back throughout the course of your life, so you want to look your best!

Since you don't usually wear any, how about just doing something very light and natural to simply accentuate your features? Maybe some blush, mascara, fake lashes make a HUGE difference, and a natural toned lipstick or gloss? Even the most subtle accents can bring out a new dimension to ones appearance. wink.gif

FI also doesn't like that I wear makeup even though I don't wear much. But for me it gives me a little more confidence and I like how it brings out my features. At the same time, I'm also not the type who can't leave the house without a full face, sometimes it feels great to just be able to walk out the door and feel the sunshine on a face that took no effort cheesy.gif

Because of my line of work, I always have a bag full of makeup with me but keep in mind that makeup doesn't have to be expensive to be effective! I have a case full of cheapy stuff and more expensive products ~ I love my 0.99 lipliner just as much as I adore my $48 moisturizer or $35 primer. You can find goldmine products at any price, trust me!!!

At the end of the day, do what makes you most comfortable. And don't feel pressured to wear makeup because beauty au natural is perfectly acceptable too! If you can rock it sans products, then go for it girl punk.gif You will be a beautiful bride no matter what msnwink.gif

MarieSam said it all! When FI and I first started dating I only wore mascara and for the last year I started actually wearing makeup (motherhood has exhausted me and it shows). FI was in a hurry to go somewhere last week and came and bothered me in the bathroom and I told him I was almost done putting on makeup, he refuses to believe I've been wearing it this whole time! I'm a very natural girl and I use physicians formula organic mineral makeup. Its very light, doesn't take much effort, and really does the trick w/out looking like I "caked" on makeup. Its a little bit more expensive than say covergirl, but only by a couple dollars. Avon has CHEAP mineral makeup for like $5 I think.

I also agree w/ Angela, although I always think the makeup artists put on way to much makeup for my taste so if you do it suggest light application. Since you dont' normally wear it it may feel really heavy unless its lightly done. Definitely take pics and see what you think.

My FI knows that I WILL NOT walk to the mailbox without at least mascara..but, that's just me! (I've run into too many people at the grocery store, that I haven't seen for years (when I looked a mess in a track suit) to ever let it happen again!

I think that if you only wear makeup for ONE day...it should be your Wedding Day...

You are beautiful as you are and your FI loves you as you look in your daily lives, but you should look/feel glamorous and divine on YOUR DAY! Capturing how you look THAT DAY, which is a day you will be photographed more than any other -- why not look your VERY BEST?

I don't wear makeup every day & when I do it's pretty natural. I never like my makeup when someone else does it because I don't look like myself. So i definitly wanted to do my own wedding day makeup.

I went to sephora & tried a bunch of stuff & had them try looks on me. I ended up keeping with my standard eye look that I started doing a couple of years ago after a visit to the clinique counter.

My makeup was pretty much my typical look. I took more time to make sure it was on right. But, I didn't glam it up extra for the wedding.

Often i don't think men understand what makeup really is. When he says he doesn't want you wearing makeup he probably is picturing heavy caked on stuff. it's pretty funny how guys really can't tell what goes in to a womans look.

I am a froo froo girl. I am not going to waste your time telling you that I don't like make up or think it's necessary. I love the stuff. lol

Can't wear it everyday because I simply don't have the time for it, but I LOVE the look of me when I'm all "pulled together". I think for me it's more about the process than anything else. It's part of a ritual I perform when something I know I'm going to enjoy is about to take place, so without it...the day feels a little less than some how. Start to finish, my make up routine doesn't even take a full 10 minutes, so it's not that it's a huge amount, it's just about taking time to do something extra with myself that feels special.

Having said all that, I do NOT think you should do anything that will make you look completely different than your day to day look. That defeats the purpose and you don't want your wedding photos to be of someone you don't recognize. lol Like MarieSam and Christie said, it's more about accentuating your natural beauty AND putting that extra icing on your wedding day. That "oomf" factor. You wanna look like a bride and brides look like they did a lil' somethin-somethin extra with themselves.

For someone like you, I'd say mascara, a soft tinted gloss and maybe a lil' bronzer or subtle blush for definition. It will look completely natural BUT still like theres more YOU to your face that day. Photos can wash people out, especially photos in the sun or using flash, so you just want to emphasize, not overwhelm.

Do some trials and see what you like. Even specify when you go in that you want a "light and natural" look. Pro's will know how to handle that and it definitely doesn't take a lot of money to get your own tiny stockpile of make up must-haves. You can keep them for a year and use them on just those special occasions. Your FH might be suprised how natural make up can look and he just might shock himself by liking it. If it weren't your wedding day (a time that should be magical for both of you) I'd tell ya not to worry about what he says. My guy isn't big on make up and always says that, but then when I come out all done up he's gushing. Men have no idea what they like, so don't let 'em tell ya any different. lmao I think they just have an idea in their head of make up having to be full on Bourbon St. prostitute looking or something.

I would say definitely do a trial, and if you do take some photos of a make-up "look" that you think you'll like so they have an idea of what you're going for. You certainly don't want to look like a completely different person that day so give them boundaries.

In the end, if you're more comfortable without make-up, then I say no you definitely don't have to wear it. :-)