anyone getting married on a private vacation property?

TomatoTomatto

I am :)

I'm getting married at the Ke Iki Beach Bungalows on May 27, 2010 in North Shore Oahu. So far, I've booked my photographer, my officiant and the property. I've decided to go at it on my own, which is tough, but I KNOW I can do it.

We've decided to go the Costco route for our alcohol. Has anyone ever done this? How much on average did you spend per person on alcohol? What varieties of alcohol did you order?

Also, I'm STUCK trying to decide on a caterer. They all seem to be in the $15 - $30 p/p price range... I know, crazy cheap, right? So far, I'm considering:

Cater to Me

A Catered Experience

Catered Moments

If anyone has reviews on any of the above companies, I'll be your best friend foreversmile03.gif

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I am getting married on a private vacation property also on the north shore. Ke Iki Beach Bungalows was my first option but my horrible wedding planner dropped the ball on finalizing the details and it was already booked on the day I wanted.

I applaud your efforts on going at it yourself and I tell you that you've found the right forum to be able to accomplish it. If I had found this forum sooner then I would of taken the route you took. My WP has helped minimally but is definitely not worth what I'm paying her. Something I will advise is to look into a day of coordinator. I've read about it around here somewhere and it's basically where you just pay them for their services to coordinate things on your wedding day. That's probably in your best bet if your going to have a group over 50+ and if you don't have an awesome, organized, very involved, maid of honor.

The catering was really the make it or break it for me and we ended up going with Keneke's Catering. We were able to get a great buffet at a great price of $28 pp. I know it's on the expensive side of your figures but after all of my researching it was the best I could find for having a dinner menu.

Here's what they offered:

Wedding Special #1 - $28.00 per person

Pupu: Ahi Poke, Spicy BBQ Chicken Skewers, Teriyaki Beef Sticks, Egg Rolls, Sushi, Fruit Platter

Dinner: Prime Rib, Teriyaki Chicken, Mahi Mahi, Kalua Pig, Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes, Dinner Rolls, White or Brown Rice, Broccoli Stir Fry Mix

Dessert: Premium Cheesecake with topping

Beverages: Kona Coffee

~~ We will deliver, setup, provide servers and serve your dinner on China.

The price included all of the service (deliver, setup and break down), plates, glassware, and silverware.

If cost is a factor, I would definitely look into Keneke's because for the other ones once you factor in servers and delivery fees (which I'm not paying for Keneke's because their on the north shore) it'll be way more than the pp price.

If anything, I can let you know after my wedding how the food was. My WP says their food is good, says she's ate their before but her word doesn't go too far with me nowadays.

As for alcohol, we don't drink so we're not providing alcohol. We've left the option open to or guests to bring their alcohol if they'd like. We'll be staying on the property so they'll probably have all of the alcohol beforehand from the previous nights of drinking. Cutting alcohol out of the budget for us was what saved us the most money.

My WP did say that if we want to do it all we would have to do is buy the alcohol from Costco and she would set up a self-help bar. I don't know if that helps. I don't drink so I wouldn't even know where to start to tell you what at the bare minimum you should provide. I think it really depends on the number of guests you have and how much your willing to pay.

Sorry, I know I didn't have much reviews but I hope it some how helps you and that I didn't go on babbling. Also, doesn't Ke Iki Bungalows have a WP on site? I thought they did...

Anyways, let me know if you have any questions.

• 11 months later...

Iâ€m also getting married on the North Shore, but have been having some ‘responsiveness†issues with Turtle Bay, so am considering looking at other options – like a private vacation property, but am having trouble finding a nice house that will allow a small wedding to be held onsite.

Princessina – what property are you using for your wedding? Are they charging any extra for having your wedding there?

I need help. Thanks :)

Hi, CarpeDiem,

The property I ended up using was in Laie and I found it through VRBO. The property name is Hale Kekela and the direct website is Laie, Hawaii vacation rental by owner: 6 bedroom House rental that sleeps 20. Hale Kekela - Beachfront Hawaiian Vacation Rental. It believe I paid $750 a night. I'll give my pros and cons because it's not the location for everyone.

It was great for me because I wanted my ceremony on the beach and reception on location. I had a little over 100 guests and the ceremony on the beach was cramped. The picture shows a lot of beach space but it truely depends on the tide at the time of your ceremony. We rented for a whole week and had our wedding on the a Saturday. If I could go back I would say to do it on a weekday or even Friday. Through out the week it was great because it was our own private beach but on our wedding day there were people swimming in the ocean. Not as many as Honolulu but I would of loved a more private ceremony.

Another thing I didn't know or couldn't tell from the pictures is that the ocean is not directly viewable from the house. It's accessible but there is some type of bushes/plants that gives the house privacy from those walking along the beach. Just something to keep in mind if you thought that you would be able to see the beach during the reception.

If you plan to use the beach for your ceremony, you'll probably need to do some cleaning up. Just picking up some trash here and there and clearing the beach of branches/leaves. It will give you more beach space for set up.

The estate itself is older so don't expect any of the amenities to be modern. My husband and his boys were in a condo at Turtle Bay and we checked them in first so when I got to the estate I will admit I was a bit disappointed. For instance all of the TVs in the house are still the big box televisions, so don't expect to see plasmas. The kitchen is bit outdated as well. There is a ton of space to have guests live there and enough space for parking.

Looking back I wouldn't of changed my option to have it there especially since price was a factor for us but those are some of the things I would of liked to know ahead of time.

There is a park nearby for parking which worked perfectly but be aware that it closes at 10 pm. Also if you have your wedding there then you'll need to be sure it ends by 10 pm because it is a residential area.

Another thing to keep in mind is Laie is a mormon city so you won't find alcohol at any of the stores nearby, you'll need to go to the next town but it's only 5-10 mins.

Overall it was a great choice, but if money wasn't an issue I would of had my wedding at Turtle Bay in the glass chapel or possibly at a different estate.

At the time that I was getting married there was something pending about getting permits to get married on the beach. I didn't do it and I thought it was partially because the space backed to the beach but it could of been my horrible wedding planner, luckily it wasn't an issue.

If you end up using it or contemplating it then pm or email me for more info so your better prepared. good luck!

Oh, sorry I didn't answer your initial question. They ended up charging me a $150 event fee and they stated that if I didn't have a porto potty that they would charge me another fee. I didn't do the porto potty and I don't remember them charging me the extra fee.

One thing I will say that was VERY frustrating the entire time I was planning is how laid back most people are in Hawaii..I guess that's why it's such a great vacation spot but it was absolutely HORRIBLE when it came to trying to plan a wedding from a distance :o(

Hi I'm new to the form and so excited to have found a Hawaii post!

My fiancée and I are planning on getting married in Hawaii on the 8th July 2011 which will be our 3 year anniversary.

We're currently looking at Loulu Palms Estate, but I've read some bad reviews about them and their service (or lack there of...), has anyone heard of them?

I'd also love to hear how you all go with catering companies, photographers etc - anything at all would be great!

I'm planning the wedding from Sydney Australia so I'm so excited about this forum! :)

Kate,

Your so lucky that you've started early enough...I can't prepare you on the patience that you'll need when it comes to dealing with some businesses in Hawaii. It was sooo frustrating :o(

I can't speak for Loulu Palms Estate as I don't know much about it. When planning from afar I can't tell you how much you really need to rely on your instincts about something and opinions from those who have no ties with businesses or anything to gain from promoting anything...

I'd read as much as possible about other brides experiences and what worked or didn't work for them...good luck!

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting married on a private estate too! I've found one Hawaii Kai, Hawaii vacation rental by owner: 5 bedroom Oceanfront Estate rental that sleeps 15. Ocean Beachfront Banyan Tree Beach House it looks amazing on the website and they allow for weddings but charge a fee. I'm going to Hawaii on 20th May to check out venues, I have this one, Ko Olina and Turtle bay resort (yes Pura is very slow at replying unfortunately... her assistant is better), I have a meeting set with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Hi I'm new to the form and so excited to have found a Hawaii post!

My fiancée and I are planning on getting married in Hawaii on the 8th July 2011 which will be our 3 year anniversary.

We're currently looking at Loulu Palms Estate, but I've read some bad reviews about them and their service (or lack there of...), has anyone heard of them?

I'd also love to hear how you all go with catering companies, photographers etc - anything at all would be great!

I'm planning the wedding from Sydney Australia so I'm so excited about this forum! :)
Hi Kate,

What are the prices for Loulu Palms Estate? I'm looking at private vaction properties too!

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tomato Tomatto,

I was just curious about the one venue you mentioned Ke Iki Beach Bungalows. Is there any minimum's for this site ? How many people are you having at your wedding ? I am just having a small group of 20-30 for the reception and ceremony and I am looking for a private beach location that can also have my reception .

Thanks!