Calling all *Curvacious* women!!

~*Lisa*~

Hi Ladies-- another *curvacious* bride here... We went to try on wedding gowns the other day (wedding is still a year away, but most stores tell me I need to order at least 6 months out!) but I hate that the selection is soooo limited in any sample size above a 12!! I am a 20/22/24 (depending on what it is and the cut)- we ended up at Davids' Bridal just to try on different styles of dresses (but I really don't like their customer service, or lack of so I really don't want to purchase from them) I found a couple of different styles of dresses, but I hate that if I want to order a "desinger" one, it is all by chance, that I can't try it on- oh well.

For everyday clothes, I ususally go to old navy online, Macy's, Target & Marshalls- for dressy stuff Nordstrom is fantastic. I used to go to Lane Bryant alot, but I have found that in the past year or so most of the things there are not really work atire (the stuff I see is too trendy or all jeans)- or if they are, they are way too expensive (for what it is).

I started going to the gym- not only helps with getting in shape/losing weight, but I find it a great stress reducer, but a within a week of going back, I fell at home (trying not to step on the cat, I fell up the stairs--only me!) and sprained/strained my ankle, so I have a lovely walking boot on for the next few weeks- so much for the treadmill!

Anyway, I just found this thread and wanted to say hi to everyone!

Tracy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyann View Post
Hi Ladies-- another *curvacious* bride here... We went to try on wedding gowns the other day (wedding is still a year away, but most stores tell me I need to order at least 6 months out!) but I hate that the selection is soooo limited in any sample size above a 12!! I am a 20/22/24 (depending on what it is and the cut)- we ended up at Davids' Bridal just to try on different styles of dresses (but I really don't like their customer service, or lack of so I really don't want to purchase from them) I found a couple of different styles of dresses, but I hate that if I want to order a "desinger" one, it is all by chance, that I can't try it on- oh well.

For everyday clothes, I ususally go to old navy online, Macy's, Target & Marshalls- for dressy stuff Nordstrom is fantastic. I used to go to Lane Bryant alot, but I have found that in the past year or so most of the things there are not really work atire (the stuff I see is too trendy or all jeans)- or if they are, they are way too expensive (for what it is).

I started going to the gym- not only helps with getting in shape/losing weight, but I find it a great stress reducer, but a within a week of going back, I fell at home (trying not to step on the cat, I fell up the stairs--only me!) and sprained/strained my ankle, so I have a lovely walking boot on for the next few weeks- so much for the treadmill!

Anyway, I just found this thread and wanted to say hi to everyone!

Tracy
Hi Tracy...welcome!!! It is indeed very frustrating to see that most of the gowns are in smaller sizes. I am lucky in that I am in NYC so there are a few places with quite a few larger sample sizes. I actually went to David's last weekend and was REALLY disappointed. I like the trumphet fit and almost all of their plus size line was A line. Although they make their other dresses in large sizes...the samples were only as big as a 12. Turned me off.

One good thing is that there seems to be a wonderful variety of plus-sized gowns on-line. It's not the same as being able to try one on...but...at least you have options. Also...many of the on-line retailers have return options.

Good luck to you!!

yes ladies, this thread is def the best! and if you'd like to thank the woman who started this thread for us chunky chicks (as well as many other great threads), you should vote for ~*Lisa*~ as bdw's bride-to-be MotM (member of the month)! love.gif i already nominated her ... just waiting for them to start the voting poll ... don't forget to look for it and vote when they do!

welcome.gif to the new girls in this thread!

i agree, dress shopping was a challenge because of limited selection in your size. however, you might be able to try on some smaller-than-your-usual-size dresses if they have corset backs, bc they can open them up a bit to accommodate you. my fave part of dress shopping was my MOH with her foot in my back tugging on the laces trying to get size 14 dresses to fit my size 20 bod, lol! rofl.gif she was soooo determined! "we WILL make this fit!" haha and those dresses all looked so awesome bc it was like i had to remove a couple ribs and not breathe to make them fit ... tiny waist tho! haha

I completely envy you American girls when it comes to shopping, selection and prices! I love going to Buffalo for deals and actually being able to find fashionable trendy clothes in my size. I'm addicted to shopping online with Torrid. Unfortunately I always get killed on duty.

For the Canadian girls.. Ricki's goes up to an 18, a nice comfortable 18 that's true to size. They have some really nice stuff and the prices are reasonable.

Hi Ladies! I haven't been on the form at all in so long - I think it's been weeks! Just so much going on at home and at work, that anything wedding related has kind of been pushed to the side for a little bit. I've missed being on here so much tho! Plus the whole diet/work out things hasn't been going so well sad.gif I've honestly been watching what I eat and keeping my calories under 1500 a day and doing at least 3 hours of cardio a week, plus some weights. In the beginning I lost about 15 lbs...and then NOTHING. I've been stuck there for the last few weeks even tho I keep doing the right things and it's so frustrating. I seriously think something may be messed up with my thyroid or hormones or something because this just doesn't seem right.

And because of the weight issue I've been procratonating like crazy about going to buy a dress. Now I'm under 6 months out and still no dress. I'm going to force myself to go in the next couple of weeks. I just dread going to try on dresses and being the fat girl that they can't squeeze into the sample sizes...uggg.

Now on to a lighter note...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyhazardous View Post
Hey ladies I'm back from my wedding and Now I get to say "To hell with dieting I've got my man" hahaha. LOL J/K but I'm done dieting. How's everyone been?
Your pics are beautiful and I LOVE your dress! I was worried that if were to pick a "flowy" dress that when the wind was blowing it would cling in all the wrong spots but you look fantastic!! It's making me think a "flowy" dress may still be an option :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika J View Post
Opps posted before I was done and then had major photobucket issues!

Kelley- so here are some more pics of my face, MY bff is a prof makeup artist and she covered the scars really well, I am not even sure if Jereome had to photo shop them at all. Also I think my fake teeth look totes good too!

Click the image to open in full size.

Erika - you can't even see any scars at all! You look beautiful!! If I could look that fabulous on my wedding day I'd be super happy :)

Yay! Finally a date twin! I snooped at your photos, your wedding looked amazing and you looked absolutely stunning! Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyhazardous View Post
Welcome Crista I got married on Nov 10, 09 so you're my date twin Yay!!! Even though you're in Canada you should know that you're getting married on Marine Corp Birthday (my hubby's a retired Marine).

Ladies, I am thinking of selling my dress. It is a David's bridal size 22. I am a street size 20. It was only altered in the hem, no where else. I am 5'7". It was used for pictures in Duuns River Falls so I was thinking I would only be able to sell it for TTD, but immediately after the session at DRF I hung it in the shower and rinsed it really well. It has now been dry cleaned and looks great... you would never know I was in the river! I paid $500 for it. I would be willing to sell for $225. Any interest?

THe pics I have from the wedding really don't show the detail, but I will take more pics. I don't have my pro pics back yet, so here are a few. Let me know.

It is ivory, gathers to one side with (very slimming) and has a corset back.