Calling all *Curvacious* women!!

~*Lisa*~

Hi ladies! I am about a size 16-18, and I was wondering if you know of any bridal stores in Ontario, or in the US close to southern Ontario that have plus size wedding dresses that you can try on? I was the MOH in a wedding last summer and I had to order my bridemaid's dress without even being able to try it on! The samples were a size 10 I think and I couldn't get into it to even try with it unzipped.

I have been putting off wedding dress shopping because it is too upsetting, but now I am running out of time. This is something that is supposed to be exciting. I don't want to buy a dress I can't try on first. Any suggestions? Does David's Bridal have larger sample sizes. I'm looking for something beachy, so maybe even a bridesmaid dress would work.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobelle View Post
Hi ladies! I am about a size 16-18, and I was wondering if you know of any bridal stores in Ontario, or in the US close to southern Ontario that have plus size wedding dresses that you can try on? I was the MOH in a wedding last summer and I had to order my bridemaid's dress without even being able to try it on! The samples were a size 10 I think and I couldn't get into it to even try with it unzipped.

I have been putting off wedding dress shopping because it is too upsetting, but now I am running out of time. This is something that is supposed to be exciting. I don't want to buy a dress I can't try on first. Any suggestions? Does David's Bridal have larger sample sizes. I'm looking for something beachy, so maybe even a bridesmaid dress would work.

David's Bridal and Jessica McClintock.

JMC goes up to a 20. If a particular store doesn't have something they'll ship between stores and stuff. JMC also has some cute chiffon beachy types of dresses.

What's the closest border crossing to you? I'm familiar with Sarnia, Windsor, and Niagara Falls.

I'm sooooo jealous! You get to go to Cuba!! I'm planning on having my mom and her hubby "pay" for a vacation down there at some point for me LOL

Davids Bridal has a great selection. I got my dress here... In many of the stores that carry top designers, they tend to look pretty crappy on plus size ladies such as myself (just my opinion)... I think they cater to smaller girls. Davids dresses actually look really nice, and typically have a really nice price as well. Just my opinion from the high end designer plus size gowns I've seen... (unless it's couture I guess, but thats big bucks)

I wish I had some luck finding bathing suits like you gals are. I must be a freak with a long torso cause whenever I try a one piece the top ends UNDER my boobs. If I try a tankini it ends above the "kangaroo pouch" and doesn't do it's job of covering my tummy. I am forced to wear a bikini, which isn't prettysad.gif Ugh. Help!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by estella1007 View Post
I wish I had some luck finding bathing suits like you gals are. I must be a freak with a long torso cause whenever I try a one piece the top ends UNDER my boobs. If I try a tankini it ends above the "kangaroo pouch" and doesn't do it's job of covering my tummy. I am forced to wear a bikini, which isn't prettysad.gif Ugh. Help!!!!
OMG ME TOO! I just bought the CUTEST monokini at Target and lets just say it's going back for this reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalM View Post
OMG ME TOO! I just bought the CUTEST monokini at Target and lets just say it's going back for this reason.
LOL! When I try them on it's hilarious. It's like I'm wearing a bathing suit as a jumpsuit, and the straps are like suspenders, with just boobs flopping over the top. If you find anything that works let me know!

Quote:
LOL! When I try them on it's hilarious. It's like I'm wearing a bathing suit as a jumpsuit, and the straps are like suspenders, with just boobs flopping over the top. If you find anything that works let me know!
Oh my gosh, you seen the medieval times dresses...that's what they look like on me with the boobage popping out on top...

I was on the swim team in HS - we used Nike swimsuits. The sizing is great on those they stretch out and up. Try them.

Do you have issues with T shirts being too short too?

Quote:
Oh my gosh, you seen the medieval times dresses...that's what they look like on me with the boobage popping out on top...

I was on the swim team in HS - we used Nike swimsuits. The sizing is great on those they stretch out and up. Try them.

Do you have issues with T shirts being too short too?
I actually don't. I used to, but now everything is cut longer. Plus I am always layering a tank underneath anyway. I mainly can't find bathing suits. Empire waisted tops are tough too. I love them, but they aren't made for bigger boobs. The seam usually runs through the center of my boobs. It drives me CRAZY when I see someone wearing a shirt like that! I want to walk up to them and yank it down where it belongs. It's my inner "Stacy and Clinton" coming out.

Quote:
I actually don't. I used to, but now everything is cut longer. Plus I am always layering a tank underneath anyway. I mainly can't find bathing suits. Empire waisted tops are tough too. I love them, but they aren't made for bigger boobs. The seam usually runs through the center of my boobs. It drives me CRAZY when I see someone wearing a shirt like that! I want to walk up to them and yank it down where it belongs. It's my inner "Stacy and Clinton" coming out.
Yeah, I am exactly the same way with the tanks under everything. I have a tank top in every color and flip flops to match. I was thrilled when they brought back the long style tops. I still find a few that I worry about shrinking on the length when they get washed.

I know what you mean about the line going through the boobs and looking bad. I don't have that problem though. I'm a solid B cup when I'm heavy and an A when I'm not. Gravity took over and it all went to my behind.

Quote:
David's Bridal and Jessica McClintock.

JMC goes up to a 20. If a particular store doesn't have something they'll ship between stores and stuff. JMC also has some cute chiffon beachy types of dresses.

What's the closest border crossing to you? I'm familiar with Sarnia, Windsor, and Niagara Falls.

I'm sooooo jealous! You get to go to Cuba!! I'm planning on having my mom and her hubby "pay" for a vacation down there at some point for me LOL
I think Niagara Falls is closest. I know they do have David's Bridal there, but I have never heard of JMC. Thanks for the tip!