Photo

ATTN PHOTOGS and people KNOWLEDGABLE about PHOTOGRAPHY!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jax_the_beach_bride

jax_the_beach_bride
  • 475 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:38 PM

I had a discussion with my photogs and told them that i wanted my photos to be at least 300 DPI... he suggested that 300 PPI (pixels per inch)is better... is that true? or should i stick with the requirement of 300 DPI... help would be really appreciated!!!!

Mr. & Mrs. Reid
    All my life, I prayed for someone like you... and I thank God that I finally found you!

http://tickers.Ticke....7116/event.png

#2 Sascha Gluck Photography

Sascha Gluck Photography

Insiders

• Insiders
    • 1,538 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:50 PM

Hi, here's a good article which explains the terms Dots per inch ( dpi ) and Pixel per inch ( ppi ) DPI and PPI Explained

I hope this helps....

#3 jax_the_beach_bride

jax_the_beach_bride
      • 475 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:07 PM

LOL that sorta helped... But which is better? I know I probably look crazy incompitent for asking but I really don't know

Mr. & Mrs. Reid
        All my life, I prayed for someone like you... and I thank God that I finally found you!

http://tickers.Ticke....7116/event.png

#4 Evan Baines

Evan Baines
        • 50 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:43 AM

You need to specify either pixel dimensions or a combination of PPI AND output size.

Here's what I mean:
          PPI= Pixels per inch.
          DPI= Dots per inch

PPI refers to file information.
          DPI refers to the number of physical dots put down by the printer.

Sometimes, people erroneously call PPI DPI.

Here's a hypothetical:
          I could give you a file with pixel dimensions of 3600 by 5400.

If I gave you a 300PPI file, that would be a 12" by 18" print.
          However, I could change the PPI to 360 and suddenly you would have a 10" by 15" print. Your image file hasn't actually changed size: just the output relative to number of pixels.

Alternately, I could give you a 300ppi file, but if the file is only 360x540 pixels, you're only getting a 1.8" print.

Typically, most printers do best with 240-360ppi. 300ppi is a good standard number that's widely accepted. However, you should specify in any contract, if this is an issue, terms such as that you will be receiving "images suitable to make an 8x10" print at 300ppi." Just the PPI by itself is useless: you could receive 300ppi images unsuitable for anything but a wallet-sized print.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users