Jump to content


I need your help w/ a Plan B

  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Jacilynda

  • Sr. Member
  • 2,777 posts

    Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:24 PM

    So ladies as we all know about the swine flu. We had originally decided that plan b was not necessary as our wedding is 3 months away. We have many guests really concerned about this and considering backing out. I know this day is about Joe and I (and I know that's what you're going to say) but for Joe and I its REALLY important that our family be there. Our ceremony will actually be our one year anniversary (we did legal day last summer). So as this will really feel like my wedding it wouldn't mean much to me w/ out our family. That being said we were going to wait to even think of a plan b, but since its been raised to a level 5 we are now considering it. Especially since the military has put a ban on mexico travel and we have family in the military. We're talking sisters and brothers so its important they be there. Its not like they are choosing not to come, they are ordered!

    We are not real resort people and love having our wedding in the small town of Akumal on the beach and putting everything together. Doing this we have managed to keep a very small budget! FMIL and FFIL paid for our flights and hotel. We are staying for 12 days and the total for flights and hotel for both of us is $2500. Although our guests coming for about a week are averaging about $800 for flight and hotel. I have no idea what to even guess for the cost of food. For our wedding we have spent $2500 (thats ceremony chairs decor, and reception w/ decor, I didn't include photography cause we are bringing them w/ us, and I didn't include flowers cause i have real-touch being done). We NEED to stay close to these numbers.

    We are thinking at this point I can't put all of this work into another wedding and know we won't find anything like we have now w/ the small town and quiet wedding. So we have agreed that if we end up following through w/ a plan b that an AI is probably best for everyone. We are coming up w/ a plan b, not necessarily doing plan b. We would just like to have a plan and if things continue to get worse we will follow through, if not then we stay w/ plan A. But until then i need help from you guys on where to go. I have no idea how an AI wedding even works so I need you girls! TIA

    #2 Jacilynda

    • Sr. Member
    • 2,777 posts

      Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:45 PM

      Thanks Maureen!!! We did not use a TA or anything. FI's parents booked our flights through Expedia (even though i advised not to but oh well). We're booked at a small hotel and I have worked w/ the owner myself through email. I really like the sound of Jamaica some of our guests concerned have mentioned jamaica and we have agreed it is a good alternative just didn't know where to even start. I'm definitely interested in small boutiques and see what comes of it, but we are still interested in AI thinking it may be best for our guests

      So I guess we've really just done this all on our own.

      #3 julzcabo

      • Newbie
      • 37 posts

        Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

        Hmmmmm, you could look into Costa Rica.

        #4 Jacilynda

        • Sr. Member
        • 2,777 posts

          Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:53 PM

          We first though Belize cause we love belize but the price was just too much for our guests. Then I considered Costa Rica but the flights alone were twice the price of what we've already paid and our guests are averaging about the same price as us.

          i just don't want our guests to end up having to pay a ton more than what they already are, otherwise they'll probably back out due that too

          #5 MarieSam

          • VIP Member
          • 2,336 posts
            • LocationSouthern California

            Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:55 PM

            Jac, this is all breaking my heart. You are my Akumal sister and I am still holding out hope that this will all get better before our weddings.

            For us, we are willing to wait it out until this things clears up. Tommy and I have been together for 10 years and having to wait out another few months or even a year is no biggie for us.

            I HATE that the military is now banned from traveling to Mexico, but I can understand that elevated pandemic level mandates it. I hope whatever happens, there will be a happy resolution for not only yourself but all the brides who have been afflicted by the recent events.

            I am gonna do some searching later on at work and see if I can find anything for you since I know you're looking for a similar vibe to Akumal. Many hugs sister

            #6 Jacilynda

            • Sr. Member
            • 2,777 posts

              Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:04 PM

              oh MarieSam I love you!!! I hope SO badly this works out!!! I sent out an email to all of our guests earlier and asked that they give use their feedback so i know what they are thinking. I haven't had one email yet so I'm taking that as a good sign! Thankfully we have 3 months til the wedding and I'm about 90% sure it'll work out. I would definitely hold out on the wedding, but Joe didn't like the idea cause his whole family had to put in their time off at the beginning of the year to get it, and he doesn't want to deal w/ me planning a wedding for another year :)! HA!

              So, Plan B will only really come into effect if the swine flu (or god forbid something else in Mexico!) is going on in July or if we lose most of our guests, or if the military doesn't lift the ban. So we'll have a plan and hopefully I will hear something from these guests and get some feedback! Crossing my fingers that the rest are ok w/ going regardless!

              #7 Jennifer Davis

              Jennifer Davis
              • Member
              • 582 posts

                Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:34 PM

                Check out this place I found on Trip Advisor. It got SPECTACULAR reviews and is a very small resort located in Roatan Hondurus. I emailed the manager, Mel about package prices for all - inclusive and the rates are very reasonable. The place looks really beautiful.

                Roatan Beach Resort and PADI 5 Star Dive Center

                #8 colby2277

                • Newbie
                • 75 posts

                  Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:04 PM

                  I have been to Roatan, and it is beautiful and that resort is beautiful. I'm worried too, and my FI flights just got cancelled out of Toronto. Still thinking for now....

                  #9 estella1007

                  • Jr. Member
                  • 475 posts

                    Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:24 PM

                    What about a cruise? That way you can keep it all-inclusive. Or maybe even Florida, like Key West. That way you know for sure that you won't run into any problems.

                    #10 ~Melissa~


                      VIP Member

                    • VIP Member
                    • 8,680 posts
                    • Wedding Date:October 7, 2010
                    • Wedding Location:Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
                    • LocationUtah

                    Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:41 PM

                    I think it's really smart to have a back up plan just in case. Rather I would hope you wouldn't have to resort to it.

                    Have you thought about staying in the U.S? I live in what I would say is one of the most beautiful places in the world with amazing white sand beaches and deep emerald green water - Destin Florida. They say that it's the home of "Destin-ation Weddings" LOL Cheesy I know but seriously they call it that! I would have never known about this place if I had never moved here - it's actually kinda like a hidden gem.

                    That way you could have your beautiful beach wedding and your FH can wear his military whites(btw is that what they call them?).

                    0 user(s) are reading this topic

                    0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users