Why A Destination Wedding?

For me, it was just something I always wanted to do. I lived in Bermuda for five years while I was growing up, so it really felt more like going home to get married.

Cost was definitely a factor as well. I have a BIG family (9 aunts and uncles on my mom's side, six on my dad's, plus spouses, plus kids, and son on), and my husband's is big enough (about 10 aunts and uncles combined, plus spouses and kids etc). As much as I love family, we were in no position to host a wedding for that many people. Add to that my fear of speaking in front of people, and making it a smaller affair just seemed the way to go.

We got a bit of flack from people for sure, but I had the wedding I'd always dreamed of. Anyone who gave us a hard time clearly didn't have our best interests at heart. The day was full of people who loved us and that's the important thing.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We wanted a DW because we met on a beach, got engaged on a beach, so it only seemed fitting to get married on a beach. We wanted to have a DW with our family and some friends and then go home and have the traditional reception with everyone when we returned. We love to travel and I thought our wedding should reflect that.

BTW-your photos are stunning on your website. Great work!

Great question Mark! We're having a destination wedding mainly because we're both very casual and laid-back ... so much so, that we're kind of awkward in big, formal social situations. We do best (and are happiest) having a few close friends over for some beers as opposed to going out for a fancy night on the town. Therefore, a destination wedding was a no-brainer for us. Everyone we've told so far thinks it's absolutely perfect for us. We get to enjoy a week-long, casual vacation with our nearest and dearest instead of having to endure a stuffy, formal, awkward 4-hour event with random freeloaders.

We're not even having an at-home reception. To us, it kind of defeats the purpose. The people who really matter will come to our wedding and we don't want to spend a whole night making small talk with people we barely know. It sounds harsh but both sets of parents completely agree that for us, it's the way to go. My sister did the big, formal, at-home wedding and honestly, I think my parents are actually really excited for a more mellow, laid-back affair. They almost seem intrigued by the idea.

So basically, a destination wedding was much more in line with our personalities. That's really the bottom line. Of course, the gorgeous backdrop and price don't hurt either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsfinallyhere View Post
We choose a destination wedding because of a number of reasons. We went to visit before and loved the country.
Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsfinallyhere View Post
Our gift is that they are there. People who really want to come will be there, and they are most important. We feel that this will give everyone extra special memories, from beginning to end. An adventure for us all to enjoy together!
This is what it is all about! Sounds like a great time!

mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersgirl View Post
BTW-your photos are stunning on your website. Great work!
Thanks! We keep working to get better at it every year.

Also, we have been very fortunate over the years to have clients who know how to have a good time! When couples are in love and when people are having a great time it is easy to bring home great photos.

mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPPRN View Post
Hi Mark - I just had a look at part of your portfolio and the Cabo wedding was stunning - I am very impressed!

Jen
Thanks Jen! That was a wonderful wedding, one of my all time favorite family group photos (#24) is from that wedding. Technically & artistically nothing to write home about but it simply captured the whole feel of the entire weekend. Both families and their friends having a great time. A wonderful human experience.

mark