Jump to content

Photo

Using a photographer's pic for STDs


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PaulaV

PaulaV
  • VIP Member
  • 2,813 posts

    Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:48 AM

    I guess this question is for those photographers on the forum...

    I have a STD postcard I would like to send out using a picture of the resort that I found on my photographer's site.

    I emailed her two weeks ago asking permission to use the picture on my STD, stating that I would be adding a link to her site and her name on the back of the postcard. If she did not allow it, I would understand.

    I had not heard back for a week, so I sent a follow up email a week ago. I still have not heard back which suprises me since she is usually pretty qucik in her responses.

    My question is, do I go ahead and get these printed up without getting her explict permission, (they are just going to my guests), or do I use a picture from the resort's website since I have to get these darn things out?
    Her picture is beautiful!

    #2 TammyB

    TammyB
    • Sr. Member
    • 10,630 posts

      Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:50 AM

      I'd say use it. It's not like your publishing it.

      #3 LadyP

      LadyP
      • Sr. Member
      • 3,156 posts

        Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:55 AM

        give her/him credit on the bottom. Photo taken by...

        #4 leigh miller

        leigh miller
        • Member
        • 936 posts

          Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:17 AM

          ok...ive been sitting here wondering if i should respond to this and if you REALLY wanted to know what a photographer might think about this. so here goes

          you need to get her permission. it would be wrong to use it without. you are violating her copyright by taking it from her website and using it without her permission. and you are publishing it. this photo is her property. saying youve emailed her a few times and havent heard back and are going to use it anyway is kind of like waiting at a cash register to pay for something and then just deciding to leave with it because no one came to ring you up

          i would call her. if a bride of mine wanted to use a pic from my site i would probably say yes and email her the file. the fact that you thought to put her website and info on the STD is leaps and bounds beyond what some people even think of :) im sorry she hasnt gotten back to you. my guess is shes started her very busy season. your relationship with your photographer is all about trust. and i think if someone took something from my site without my permission and used it for their STDs i would not be happy and would feel ripped off. photographers are really sensitive about this subject. we take what we do very seriously and work really hard. when someone takes our work and uses it without or permission its disappointing and frustrating.

          i hope that helps.

          on a side note - i would be surprised if what you downloaded from her website was of good enough quality to be printed anyway.

          and pss- im not talking about saving pics from my web or blog for your wedding planning or ideas and swapping and sharing those pics. that doesnt bother me and part of why i keep a blog. to share ideas, decor, hairdos, etc...

          #5 PaulaV

          PaulaV
          • VIP Member
          • 2,813 posts

            Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:30 AM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by leigh miller
            ok...ive been sitting here wondering if i should respond to this and if you REALLY wanted to know what a photographer might think about this. so here goes

            you need to get her permission. it would be wrong to use it without. you are violating her copyright by taking it from her website and using it without her permission. and you are publishing it. this photo is her property. saying youve emailed her a few times and havent heard back and are going to use it anyway is kind of like waiting at a cash register to pay for something and then just deciding to leave with it because no one came to ring you up

            That's EXACTLY what I needed to know Leigh... thank you for you so much for responding and for your honest answer.

            If I can get a hold of her soon, great ... if not, do you think it would be the same case if I used a different picture from the resort's site?

            I was approached once by someone who wanted to use a picture of a painting of mine off an art site for a class project. I thought that was nice of them to ask and give me credit for it.

            #6 leigh miller

            leigh miller
            • Member
            • 936 posts

              Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:38 AM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by PaulaV
              That's EXACTLY what I needed to know Leigh... thank you for you so much for responding and for your honest answer.

              If I can get a hold of her soon, great ... if not, do you think it would be the same case if I used a different picture from the resort's site?

              I was approached once by someone who wanted to use a picture of a painting of mine off an art site for a class project. I thought that was nice of them to ask and give me credit for it.

              whew! its actually nice to have a chance to explain this issue to brides from a photographers point of view and to educate people a little about copyright. i am no expert by any means but i do know some basics.

              im sorry to say i do think its the same thing. whatever pic you use you need to get permission from the actual copyright owner - in most cases in the US the photographer. people really just dont know and dont know whats right and wrong. if they did im sure they wouldnt do it.

              i DO think its a compliment - hey i love your pic so much i want to use it for my std :) but the photographer should have the final say and also determine the price if someone wants to use their work.

              hopefully a quick phone call to your photographer and she can give you an answer either way.

              #7 PaulaV

              PaulaV
              • VIP Member
              • 2,813 posts

                Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:48 PM

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by leigh miller
                whew! its actually nice to have a chance to explain this issue to brides from a photographers point of view and to educate people a little about copyright. i am no expert by any means but i do know some basics.

                im sorry to say i do think its the same thing. whatever pic you use you need to get permission from the actual copyright owner - in most cases in the US the photographer. people really just dont know and dont know whats right and wrong. if they did im sure they wouldnt do it.

                i DO think its a compliment - hey i love your pic so much i want to use it for my std :) but the photographer should have the final say and also determine the price if someone wants to use their work.

                hopefully a quick phone call to your photographer and she can give you an answer either way.

                Understood! Thank you very much Leigh!

                #8 cheese_diva

                cheese_diva
                • VIP Member
                • 1,966 posts

                  Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:59 PM

                  Leigh is right on. I work for a magazine publisher. We create reprints of articles for clients. Often, photographers require extra payment to use the same photos that were printed, even if it's just a reprinting of the same article. If permission isn't granted, you could be into some serious $$$.

                  I know it isn't the same, but your relationship is worth more... maybe she'd cut your head off in all your photos. lol
                  http://i148.photobuc....0smash/032.jpg
                  faberphotography.com
                  <a href="http://lilypie.com/"><img src="http://lb2f.lilypie.com/Yg4Cm8.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie Second Birthday tickers" /></a>

                  #9 PaulaV

                  PaulaV
                  • VIP Member
                  • 2,813 posts

                    Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:40 PM

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by cheese_diva
                    Leigh is right on. I work for a magazine publisher. We create reprints of articles for clients. Often, photographers require extra payment to use the same photos that were printed, even if it's just a reprinting of the same article. If permission isn't granted, you could be into some serious $$$.

                    I know it isn't the same, but your relationship is worth more... maybe she'd cut your head off in all your photos. lol
                    Hehe! Yeah I wouldn't want that to happen to my pics! She has been a doll to work with so far and I am very excited for her to photograph our wedding.

                    Thanks Angela!




                    0 user(s) are reading this topic

                    0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users