Swine Brides **Support Thread**

Maybride2009

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm waiting for our FO to drop the ban of travel to Mexico and then hopefully our flights will start back up again or i'm same stuck!

I can't go to another destination and get married because i need to give notice and we've not got time to do that as i leave on the 11th (or rather should be leaving!) I can't re-arrange unless its next year as FI has special permission to have these 2 weeks and then he's off to Afghanistan!! bloody great

And i've got no work done as i keep checking the sites that tell me Feck all lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartyt509 View Post
I'm waiting for our FO to drop the ban of travel to Mexico and then hopefully our flights will start back up again or i'm same stuck!

I can't go to another destination and get married because i need to give notice and we've not got time to do that as i leave on the 11th (or rather should be leaving!) I can't re-arrange unless its next year as FI has special permission to have these 2 weeks and then he's off to Afghanistan!! bloody great

And i've got no work done as i keep checking the sites that tell me Feck all lol
Sounds like you are in the UK wink.gif
Why aren't you checking other destinations? I am sure alot of UK and Canadian brides are scrambling right now. But check out the Cuban resorts, they say only 4 weeks notice, but in light off all this, I bet ya they can arrange something, even if it is just a symbolic ceremony. (and the Cuban rules are pretty easy, just need a passport if you have never been married!)

PM me if you want more info.

My heart is breaking for all of you affected by this. I can't imagine how you feel or what you are going through. Talk about wedding stress!! I feel bad now for complaining that our wedding got rained out and my pics suck. At least I had all the people there who said they were going & I still got married in paradise...it was just a bit wetter than I would have liked.

I wish all of you patience & strength to deal with this & figure it all out. If any of you need anything please let me know. I can make phone calls, send emails, inquire with travel agents, contact embassies...whatever you need! Do not hesitate to ask!!

smile03.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyatk View Post
well my wedding is in 3 weeks and well I am going!! both of our familys said were just going to do it. My TA just got back 3 days ago from the resort I am getting married at and she said the media is blowing this all up!! I could get the swine flu here. I am a nurse in the ICU we have several cases that they think might be swine flu. So I could catch it here or there.

Hi Jenny, We wanted/tried to go. I totally agree that it is being blow way up, but my guests booked with air transat and didn't get cancellation insurance so they HAVE to fly through air transat...and they won't fly there again until June...so we have no choice.

The other option is to try to book another destination and wedding in 3 weeks...and I don't know if my brain can do that at this point...either way between my mom and Fi's schedule...it sucks for someone

were getting married on the 23rd and we reallly dont know what to do. weve children coming and a few elderlys. some of our guests are already getting prescription meds on hand - and were just waiting to see what happens next. a lot can happen between now and then but still, ugh....

We have 45 people booked for our wedding at the end of June. I honestly believe this is being blown out of proportion and that it will be gone in the next couple of weeks. However, the majority of our guests are panicking and thinking about cancelling. My FI and I do not know what to do at this point!

Our travel agent is looking into the Iberostar Resorts in Punta Cana and Jamaica to see if we can switch. The air travel is going to be the tricky part.

I think all we can do is keep up to date with everything that is going on and hope that it is contained. I emailed my photographer about the potential for a refund if things don't clear up and this was his response. It made me feel a little better.

Hi Maria,

According to the Hotel Association on Chamber of Commerce of Quintana Roo, which are the ones who have stipulated all refund policies for major hotel names and private companies such as Cancun Wedding Photography, the only way this refund would be applied is if the state of Quintana Roo issues an international warning of not coming to Cancun or the Riviera Maya due to the pandemic.

This warning has not been sent out since Cancun has not been affected and there are no proven cases of the flu in the entire state and the ones surrounding.

International media / press has a tendency to "dramatize" news facts across the world, which can sometimes affect several destinations at once.

Our recommendation would be to come down to Cancun and enjoy your wedding day, celebrate this most important day with your loved ones and enjoy the magic of this destination.

I thought my input may help put some of you at ease. I just returned from Dreams Cancun last night. We were there since last Wednesday and were married at the Gazebo on Saturday. I had 18 guests attend including my two children ages 11 and 18. The employees at the resort and the people out in town were acting like this was not a big deal. I did not really hear anything about it until Monday. This morning we called our health department to make sure that we were not at risk of infecting anyone and I was told that as long as you did not have flu like symptoms everything was ok. They said that this flu is just like any other flu. Many of the people who have died from it have had weak immune systems such as the elderly and very small children. There were others who did not have access to good health care or who prolonged their visits to the doctor. The health system in Mexico is not as good as ours so I can see why they have much more fatalities than we do. You treat this flu as you would treat any other flu. Many people die from the flu every year the difference is that the media does not make a big deal out of it. This flu has been around since September of 2008 in Mexico. It has now become a concern because of the number of cases in the U.S.

We made sure to wash our hands often and I put anti bacterial lotion in everyone's bag. After 6 days in Mexico none of us became sick. We were told by the health department that we could catch this just as you would catch a regular cold or the regular flu. What matters is how you go about treating it.