Alberta vs. Ontario...potentially move, opinions needed!!

CaboBride2010

I live in Wellesley (which is SUPER smalltown) but just outside Waterloo, Ontario. Toronto is no doubt overpriced!!! If London is too small for you, then here in K-W it would also be too small however, it is definitely cheaper than TO. I have only visited Alberta so I can't comment on the cost of living. I agree with Kathy though, gotta love only the one tax and the huge mall. Life also seemed slower paced during my visit .....likely because I was on vacation though!!!! Haha!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay! So I'm going to give u my honest opinion, I spent my childhood in Ontario for the school years and out west for the summers. I see a noticable difference in the two areas. Alberta is a place where u are appreciated as a person and people are much more friendlier and courtious. If my FI gets sent out there after his training I'd be screaming with excitement! I would encourage going there because it will change the way u feel about the value system you have. Don't get me wrong, Ontario has it's perks like TO and close proximity to shop in the US but as for quality of living, somewhere like Edmonton would be the choice I would make! I hope this gives u another perspective

Actually I'll give u a scenario, picture yourself on the 401 behind someone driving slow and not pulling into the right lane.... This is super irritating right? Well take that same scenario and plunk it in Alberta and u would find that slower drivers will pull off to the sholder just to pet u pass

Ok done LOL

Ok Jax thank you thank you thank you!!! lol that is the kind of place I want to live is a place where I am a person and not another nameless face...im tired of people being rude in TO because they "will never see that person again so who cares" its a mentaility that has made me so mad to say I am a Torontonian...actually it makes me flat out embarassed...I would LOVE to live in Alberta if there is a lifestyle that a person is a person....I think you just made up my mind for me :) now keep your fingers crossed for me that his work pulls through with a definate offer for us to move!

Ya it is very embarassing how Ontarioians (sp? lol) act....well sorry, I mean people in the GTA! .... I dont remember the area being like this when I was growing up and it makes me sad to see it like this, my Grandparents even moved out of toronto after living here for 60 years because they were disgusted by the attitude of only look out for yourself, everyone else is garbage

so maybe we will both be albertans one day!! :)

That would be nice for sure! We could even get together with kathy/ parisiobride LOL! Anytime I hold a door for someone 80% of the time they won't say thank you! It's way diff out west and I appreciate it when people are curteous and polite. I think that is a huge thing for me and FI has grown up in ON his whole life so I hope I convince him that the west is best! LOL

well if it makes you feel better, I have grown up in Toronto, the rudest part of ON, and have lived here my entire life and can't wait to get out of here so maybe there is hope for your FI wanting to move! lol....but ya the whole holding doors thing I always say thank you, and if someone doesnt say thank you when I hold a door for them I have to admit I get snippy and say "your welcome" and not even under my breath lol, I say it loud enough that they hear me ...... oh and the other is getting on a ttc bus and there is CLEARLY a lineup to get on the bus but some people feel they are more important so cut off the line and push their way onto a bus...oh dont even get me started on my Toronto pet peeves lol...i could go on for days!! its just that fend for yourself attitude and that it doesnt matter how many people you hurt along the way, as long as you end up with the most expensive car and the biggest salary.... ok i feel a little better...but if you ever need to vent about pet peeves of Ontario I am willing to have a venting session lol