90% of my guests have cancelled

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#51 jk1101

jk1101
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:35 AM

Awww...my heart goes out to you...I was just looking on the CDC website -
    Althought they are telling people they shouldn't travel, there are ways to prevent the flu if you are going to travel.

Prepare for your trip before you leave
    Antiviral Medications: Travelers from the United States going to Mexico who are at high risk of severe illness from influenza (for example persons with chronic conditions such as diabetes, lung disease, heart disease, and the elderly, see CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Advisory Committee On Immunization Practices (ACIP): Recommendations) are recommended to take antiviral medications for prevention of swine influenza during travel. The recommended antiviral drugs for swine influenza are oseltamivir (brand name Tamiflu®) and zanamivir (brand name Relenza®). Both are prescription drugs that fight against swine flu by keeping flu viruses from reproducing in the body. These drugs can prevent infection if taken as a preventative. Talk to your doctor about correct indications for using influenza antiviral medications. Always seek medical care if you are severely ill.

Antiviral chemoprophylaxis, or taking medicine to prevent flu viruses from reproducing in the body, (pre-exposure or post-exposure) is recommended for the following people:

•Household close contacts who are at high risk for complications of influenza (for example, persons with certain chronic medical conditions and the elderly) of a confirmed or suspected case.
    •School-aged children who are at high risk for complications of influenza (for example, persons with certain chronic medical conditions) who had close contact (face-to-face) with a confirmed or suspected case.
    •Travelers to Mexico who are at high risk for complications of influenza (for example, persons with certain chronic medical conditions and the elderly).
    •Border workers (Mexico) who are at high risk for complications of influenza (for example, persons with certain chronic medical conditions and the elderly).
    •Health care workers or public health workers who had unprotected close contact with an ill confirmed case of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection during the ill person’s infectious period.
    Antiviral chemoprophylaxis can be considered for the following:

•Any health care worker who is at high risk for complications of influenza (for example, persons with certain chronic medical conditions and the elderly) who is working in an area with confirmed swine influenza A (H1N1) cases, and who is caring for patients with any acute febrile respiratory illness.
    •Persons who are not at high risk but who are travelers to Mexico or first responders or border workers who are working in areas with confirmed cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection.

You might want to send that info to friends and family as well.

I hope things will work out for you...
    All my best hopes and wishes for you.

#52 iberostar09

iberostar09
    • 173 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:37 AM

I am sooo sorry to hear this beth! My heart aches for you both. I'm not sure what you are your fiance have decided for next steps down there. My husband and I got married almost 2 months ago and our ceremony was just the 2 of us. I know it's no comparison to what you had planned and obviously want those close to you to be there but it will be the most ROMANTIC, BEAUTIFUL, UNFORGETTABLE experience the 2 of you will share. We will all be thinking of you and your fiance, keep us posted!
      ** HUGS ***

#53 BachataBride

BachataBride
      • Banned
      • 9,310 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:46 AM

Oh sweetie...I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. And with no support around you either. I hope your BF makes it, but if not, just know that the most important person in your life is there by your side - and he will be forever. Say "I do" on the beautiful beach of Mexico - then return home & have a party to celebrate. I know it's a lot of time, money & planning gone out the window - but you'll be married to the love of your life & ultimately that's whats the most important. We are all thinking about you. xo

#54 Jen_S

Jen_S
        • 3,737 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:31 AM

Oh I am so sorry to hear about this. You put some much working into your wedding. I wish I could be there for ya. Big Hug!!!
          Our Honeymoon In Ireland!!

#55 KristinaM

KristinaM
          • VIP Member
          • 3,082 posts
          • Wedding Date:April 18, 2013
          • Wedding Location:Ocean Blue & Sand, Punta Cana
          • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:31 AM

I'm so so sorry you're going through this!
          Are you thinking of trying to re-schedule? Or just having it with you two and whoever else comes?
          Either way I hope things work out for you and just remember you are with your FI and that's the most important thing.

Agreed with the other girls.. if you need help with anything.. let us know!

#56 Amarillis

Amarillis
          • 1,913 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

Wow. There are no words to say how sorry I am that you are not having the wedding of your dreams. Like Sunbride said, there are alternatives at a later date. AHR, renewal of vows. Just have a fantastic wedding day.

If I may make a suggestion - invite people you meet at the resort - I know it sounds unconventional, but it sounds like you were looking for a party (with the DJ and all), so make it a party. You'll help make memories for many others too! At the same time enjoy your day, it is all about you and your dear FI.

big hugs!

#57 RoryS

RoryS
            • 230 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:43 AM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Blkatz
              no one but us is down here right now. My best friend said that she was still coming but who knows what is going to happen on Thursday when they are supposed to travel. I just sent an email to a few people letting them know that if they are not comfortable coming down to Mexico to just let us know. I mean, what can you do? You can't force people to come down.
              Terrible feeling. I hope that you future Mexico brides have a better experience
              Beth, I feel so badly for you. I know how much time and effort you put into planning this. The news is saying today that the number of cases in Mexico City is down, which is a good sign. I wish the news media would focus on more of the positive aspects than always the negative. No matter what happens, I hope you can put a positive spin on this. As others have said, you're with the one who means the most to you, you're in a absolutely gorgeous location, and even though we're not all there physically - know what we are all there with you in spirit.

#58 sunset78

sunset78
              • 1,280 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

That's so terrible. Huge hugs to you both

#59 Kristy!

Kristy!

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 6,368 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

No no no no no! Oh, that is so sad. I'm so sorry for you. I just want to cry, it's so heartbreaking. If thre is ANYTHING we can do, please just let us know. Hang in there sweetie.

#60 lil_miss_frogg

lil_miss_frogg
                  • 826 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. I can only imagine what you are going through this close to your wedding day. This is much added stress you don't need. You should be relaxing on the beach sipping margaritas; not worrying about the vendors. I hope they are all understanding of your situation.
                    http://i44.tinypic.com/aemd8w.jpg
                    My Babies
                    "Love isn't about finding a perfect person,
                    it's seeing an imperfect person perfectly!"
                    http://tickers.Ticke....00ff/event.pnghttp://tickers.Ticke....JZW/weight.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users