Gift etiquette

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ~*Lisa*~

~*Lisa*~
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:13 AM

Hi all!

I was just wondering how it works for gift etiquette. We've sent out 58 invitations and are starting to receive some RSVP's back. My question is, are people who are invited to the wedding but don't attend expected to send a gift? The FI and I were wondering about this sort of thing and I was wondering what kind of experiences some of you had with this. I personally don't expect a gift from those who are coming to our wedding in Jamaica, but possibly gifts from others who aren't coming.

I'm just wondering about this because we're thinking about registries. Do we bother registering somewhere? What do you think?

#2 melette

melette
    • 893 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:13 PM

Well, in our case.. My FI and I are already established IE. home, kitchen gadgets, decor, cars, and even a dog. We also don't plan on having a AHR. We've been asked to register for those who won't be attending our wedding. We don't think it's necessary, and when they tell us that they'll just get us something any way, it's really up to them.

If you don't expect gifts from those attending your wedding, but your guest see that you're registered somewhere, they will think you're expecting a gift??

I hope this helps??
      http://i36.photobuck...ette12/mcc1.jpgFirst Dance as Mr. & Mrs 01/21/2010http://tickers.Ticke....1911/event.png

BRIDE&GROOM + 85 Family & Friends BOOKED and had a blast!

#3 ~*Lisa*~

~*Lisa*~
      • 2,287 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:10 PM

We're not planning an AHR either. I say that I don't expect gifts because I don't think we should get any, but I think some family members will still want to get us something. I guess we'll register somewhere.

#4 stefnicole

stefnicole
        • 544 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:38 PM

We didn't really want to register, but people just kept asking us. We finally just registered at Target to get it over with.

#5 drtracy

drtracy
          • 436 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

We're like others, don't really need anything but we did register. We are having an AHR so that's one reason but the other was for my shower. We didn't think about it until my mom asked about where we were registered for shower invites. Whoops. If you really don't want to, register for a charity or something like that. We registered for a charity that means something to us and everytime someone donates we get a message, makes for some warm fuzzies!

#6 Ryan's girl

Ryan's girl
            • 256 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

We also weren't expecting anything from anybody but after being asked time and time again where we were registered we decided to go ahead and create a gift registry. We really didn't need to register but we found that it was important to many people to give us a gift for our wedding.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by drtracy
              If you really don't want to, register for a charity or something like that. We registered for a charity that means something to us and everytime someone donates we get a message, makes for some warm fuzzies!
              I LOVE that you did this! Great idea!
              Our ELIZABETH MEDINA slideshow
              http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t42700
              My Iberostar Lindo reviewhttp://bestdestinati...om/forum/t42812

#7 Ottawa Bride

Ottawa Bride
              • 37 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:25 PM

To register or not to register... ugh! We've been struggling with this same question. So nice to read through everyone's great ideas and suggestions.

#8 soon2bePowers

soon2bePowers
                • 382 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:08 AM

We did not want to register BUT we knew that people would be buying us stuff. We decided to register but not to advertise it. We figured if people are planning to buy us something they will look for a registry. If someone was not planning to buy a gift, since we didn't discuss registry they wouldn't even know that we had.

We are also established with a house but we registered for a nicer set of dishes (not china but a fun set), more towels and sheets, better set of cookware, table setting stuff, nice serving ware, etc.

Hope this helps

#9 ~*Lisa*~

~*Lisa*~
                  • 2,287 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:38 AM

Thanks for all the information ladies. I actually hadn't thought about the shower part (oops!) so I guess a registration is necessary!! Why is something so simple sometimes so difficult to decide? lol

#10 DarcyJAde

DarcyJAde
                    • 305 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

Registering is fun too. Even if you don't need stuff now, think FUTURE!
                      We registered before we sent out our invitations. I didn't send out WHERE
                      we were registered, BUT one of FI's parents friends already sent us a nice
                      gift from our registry. I think people will want to send you gifts and if you
                      are registered at least you will get some things you want or need. I recommend
                      Bed Bath and Beyond. They have everything there, plus most people use their
                      20% off coupons :)
                      http://img.weddingco...r/8vbdydmgt.png

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGP
                      [/SIGPIC] 40 PEOPLE BOOKED!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users