Photo

HELP! Random, time sensitive credit card question!!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ~Angela~

~Angela~
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:58 AM

Hi anyone still awake!!

So, I booked a trip on Expedia tonight using my credit card. I then found that the price changed later on and I can save $300 by cancelling and then re-booking which is allowed until 3:30am EST.

I am concerned though because if I book the trip with the new price and the refund for the other one is not automatic, I am screwed because I exceed my credit limit. At this time of night, I can't get ahold of the bank to let them know I am going to go over so I am not sure what to do. I suppose I could just suck it up and pay the extra $300, knowing I am going to Jamaica ....but what happens if I do exceed the limit?

Will it just not go through ....or will I be charged some huge fine? Or..... when they process the refund, does it go through automatically and I am worrying for no reason.

Any help is appreciated!!!!! Thanks!

#2 Jacilynda

Jacilynda
    • 2,777 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:04 AM

First breath girl!!! The refund will not be immediate I know this from experience w/ Expedia for this exact reason. Generally if you exceed your limit it doesn't go through.

Call expedia and ask if they can change the amount and refund you the $300. Did you book this today?

#3 ~Angela~

~Angela~
      • 4,172 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:06 AM

Whew! Love you!

Yes, I just booked it today .....

#4 ~Angela~

~Angela~
        • 4,172 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:07 AM

I am wanting to change the date as well ...from Saturday to Sunday .... that is what makes the price difference come into play.

#5 Jacilynda

Jacilynda
          • 2,777 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:09 AM

Definitely call them cause you may still have time cause it may not have been ticketed yet!

#6 Jacilynda

Jacilynda
            • 2,777 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:09 AM

oh well then if you change the dates they may charge you a change fee of $25 but then refund the difference

#7 ~Angela~

~Angela~
              • 4,172 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:12 AM

I spoke to someone earlier who gave me the time frame ...she said I'd only be charged the re-booking fee, which is $9 per person. I will call and see if I can get that same girl!

Thanks..... so frustrating! I knew I should've looked harder/longer...but I felt like I'd been waiting forever and finally it came down!!!

#8 Vikki

Vikki
                • 807 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:53 AM

I have worked in banking for almost 10 years and one of my jobs is to review credit reports. Be very careful about going over your credit limit. I don't want to alarm you but if you intend to carry that balance, even for a short time exceeding your credit limit will not only charge you an over limit fee but the lender has the right (and I can almost guarantee) will skyrocket your rate into a default rate on your entire balance-which will hurt. We're talking 30% and over. They will also report on your credit report that you exceeded your limit.

Call your bank-regardless of the time of day there should be an 800# on your card and you can talk with them. Request a credit line increase, lots of times that can go through right away.

I don't want to discourage you but as a newly wed the last thing you and your FI want to worry about is a negative reporting you your credit card. Saving $300 now is not worth the damage you can do.

Good luck - and congrats on booking!

#9 ~Angela~

~Angela~
                  • 4,172 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

Hello! Thanks for your replies, ladies!

I ended up just sticking with what we originally booked, and took the hit of the $300 instead of getting screwed over with the CC company.

I looked on expedia and the price has went down even further now for the same day we are travelling.

That's expedia for ya ....and life ..... sucks but what can you do? At least I am going away!!!! :) :)

For any GP Lady Hamilton brides, I will take some pics and post them upon my return. :)

Angela

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users