Photo

Another Cake Topper from Etsy...Completely Unique

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 JOSIE

JOSIE
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:29 PM

that turned out really cute! i love the story behind it :) why in the world is it illegal to own a hedgehog in PA?

#22 fudgie

fudgie
    • 353 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:34 PM

So sweet! What an excellent idea to incorporate such a great story!!
      Photo by: Cineart Photographywww.cineartphotography.comOur Professional Slideshow

#23 dear tulip

dear tulip
      • 46 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:35 PM

Soooo super cute! Are you going to tell the story when you cut the cake?

#24 Jamaica0619

Jamaica0619
        • 475 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:31 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by JOSIE
          that turned out really cute! i love the story behind it :) why in the world is it illegal to own a hedgehog in PA?

The PA Department of Wildlife determined that if the domestic population (pets) were to be released into the wild it may hinder the ecosystem.

My issue with this is that hedgehogs natrually hibernate in the winter. However, domesticated hedgeghogs have lost the ability to build up fat supplies necessary to safely hibernate, but they will still fall asleep/hibernate. My hedgehog did this to me twice, and I had to use a slow re-heating method to wake her. So, once the winter months would hit, any hedgehogs that accidently got released would fall asleep and would die because they would not have the fat stores to survive the winter.
          Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend. ~ Albert Camas

#25 Jamaica0619

Jamaica0619
          • 475 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:32 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by dear tulip
            Soooo super cute! Are you going to tell the story when you cut the cake?
            We probably will have to explain...while some know the story not all of our guests do
            Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend. ~ Albert Camas

#26 JOSIE

JOSIE
            • 1,792 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:17 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Jamaica0619
              The PA Department of Wildlife determined that if the domestic population (pets) were to be released into the wild it may hinder the ecosystem.

My issue with this is that hedgehogs natrually hibernate in the winter. However, domesticated hedgeghogs have lost the ability to build up fat supplies necessary to safely hibernate, but they will still fall asleep/hibernate. My hedgehog did this to me twice, and I had to use a slow re-heating method to wake her. So, once the winter months would hit, any hedgehogs that accidently got released would fall asleep and would die because they would not have the fat stores to survive the winter.
              That is extremely interesting. I find it hard to believe that even if the domestic population were released it would hinder the eco-system. i mean come one, how many people own pet hedgehogs....and out of those few people, how many would possibly be released? MAYBE like 10 or 20 in the whole state??

Strange. That is sad

#27 nolacruiser6

nolacruiser6
              • 229 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:15 PM

Love the cake topper!

#28 charitydawn

charitydawn
                • 157 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:23 AM

What a fantastic idea! very cute

#29 LindsayR